Adjusting Headlamps to Comply with UK Spec. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-02-2013, 18:50 Thread Starter

Adjusting Headlamps to Comply with UK Spec.

As part of registering my 2007 Burstner Aviano i675/Fiat Ducato in UK I have to get the headlamps to UK spec. Anecdotally, I have heard that the headlamps can be converted to left-dipping by use of an in-built feature that facilitates rotation of the lamp. Indeed, I have identified what appears to be just such a facility but none of my manuals make mention of it. Can anyone shed any light on this? (no pun intended!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-02-2013, 19:58

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
The headlights that have the rotational adjustment built in are the Hella projector type. These are seperate individual units of small diameter, each containing a single bulb, you'll have one unit for main beam and one for dipped beam on each side. The ones you need to rotate are the dipped beam ones. It's done by removing three screws at the rear of the unit and rotating the inner part before locking again on the next screw hole.

They can be very difficult to access and great care needs to be taken when loostening the screws, otherwise you'll damage the screw heads and be unable to secure them again.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 21-02-2013, 21:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode
The headlights that have the rotational adjustment built in are the Hella projector type. These are seperate individual units of small diameter, each containing a single bulb, you'll have one unit for main beam and one for dipped beam on each side. The ones you need to rotate are the dipped beam ones. It's done by removing three screws at the rear of the unit and rotating the inner part before locking again on the next screw hole.

They can be very difficult to access and great care needs to be taken when loostening the screws, otherwise you'll damage the screw heads and be unable to secure them again.

Many thanks, this accurately describes my situation and, on my vehicle, the units are relatively easy to get at. Brilliant!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-02-2013, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode

Excellent warning, gaspode, it is very easy to damage the screw heads, and applying too much pressure to try to avoid this can pop the lamps off their mountings! I've resolved this by replacing the screws with hexagon socket bolts from Halfords. They have the same external diameter and fit into the plastic sockets so don't need to be an identical thread (the originals are self-tap anyway).

One other small point, you only need to remove the top screws, the side ones only need to be loosened, so there are fewer to drop and relocate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-02-2013, 17:39

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavs
I've resolved this by replacing the screws with hexagon socket bolts
That's exactly what I did when I had thsi type of light unit.
If you manage not to damage the screw heads the first time, you definitely will the second time. Bear in mind that you have to do it every time you go abroad and if you're regulars like us the screws won't last long. ISTR they're 5mm but could be wrong, easy to obtain anyway. Allan screws are best and will last longest if you can get them as the heads are high tensile.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page