Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Moving to fulltiming in Europe.

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  nicholsong 
#1 ·
I just bought a used motorhome in Germany and if I register it in Ireland I will have to pay a vehicle registration tax of circa €8000. I dont intend to use it in Ireland as I am going fulltiming in Europe. Can I register it in UK or elsewhere in Europe and insure it to avoid paying this tax? Don't know if this is the proper forum.

#2 ·
You would only be able to register it if you had an address in that particular country. Wherever you register the vehicle you would have to abide by that country's laws on tax, insurance, MOT etc.

If for instance you registered it in the UK it would have to be taxed and insured in the UK and also once 3 years old would have to be brought back for an annual MOT.

It possibly aint as simple as you hoped.

JohnW

#3 ·
I assume you've checked your facts, but I just mention that if the van is more than 6 months old then, in the UK, I don't think you would need to pay - tho I think that's VAT I'm talking about.

Hopefully someone who DOES know what they're talking about will be along soon!

#5 ·
In Ireland where I have an address they charge 13% of the market price of the motorhome which they only decide what that is when you arrive with the vehicle. Im off around Europe for a few years so just wondering how I will manage to register and insure a vehicle. Maybe if i rented a apartment in Germany for a few months that would suffice as the vehicle is already in Germany. Spain or France? Somewhere it is free to import a second hand vehicle. Anyone ever in this situation?

#8 ·
Yaxley said:
Porterboy
You dont say if it is a new vehicle or if the unladen weight is under 3000kg. You are probably fully aware of the regulations re importing and registering a motorhome in Rep of Ireland?
Ian
The 3,000kg rule is history since a couple of years ago, all motor caravans are now subject to the 13.5% VRT :cry: :cry:

As regards the OP's idea of not bringing the vehicle 'home'. The only way is to set up a residence in another country.
A friend of mine who recently gave up motorhoming and bought a fixed mobile home in Spain bought a vehicle for use while over there, he did however need a Spanish residence number, NIE (Numero de Identificación del Extranjero) to be allowed complete the purchase.

He is free to use the vehicle anywhere in Europe but as his 'main residence' is still in Ireland if he was to bring the vehicle here it would be considered an import and the relevant VRT would be charged.

The above brings to mind the possibility of making a long-term contract with a site in the winter sun part of Spain, where the winters could be spent, and using that as you address for a NIE.
It should be possible to negotiate such a long-term plot for perhaps €2000 p.a.

#9 ·
i actually didnt realise the law changed Ian and camper is perfectly weighted at 3010 kg but as Jean Luc states they changed the law without telling me.
i really don't want a fixed site that I wont use unless i have to. I thought that there is also an import tax in Spain?

#10 ·
Surely a friends address in England would be best, no import tax as its used and easy to pop back home when you come each year for an MOT.
You don't need proof of address to register it but you would have to find insurance that would allow extended trips out of the UK.
James

#11 ·
We paid no tax on our m/h when we exported it from the UK to France where we now live permanently. We do have a full-time address though which is needed for insurance I believe. Our van is registered at 3.850 and took us 7 months to get through despite having all the right paperwork, correct lights, a CT (equivalent to MOT) and insurance etc.

If you think of doing this, make sure you have a certificate of conformity before you arrive or the task is even more difficult!

#14 ·
I imported mine two years ago and paid 50Euro when it was registered in Jan 2011. I didnt realise that that they had changed the regulations in the meantime. Thank you Jean-Luc for pointing that out.
I'm afraid I dont have a solution to your problem.
Ian

#15 ·
JP said:
Surely a friends address in England would be best, no import tax as its used and easy to pop back home when you come each year for an MOT.
You don't need proof of address to register it but you would have to find insurance that would allow extended trips out of the UK.
James
JP's answer is very practical. There is no requirement for proof of residence.

There is another alternative - Isle of Man, where you have to present the vehicle for first registration, which is not technically difficult, but thereafter no MOT required. If interested in that PM to me.

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.