Moving to fulltiming in Europe. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 22:27
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lot & Garonne
Posts: 1,710
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We paid no tax on our m/h when we exported it from the UK to France where we now live permanently. We do have a full-time address though which is needed for insurance I believe. Our van is registered at 3.850 and took us 7 months to get through despite having all the right paperwork, correct lights, a CT (equivalent to MOT) and insurance etc.

If you think of doing this, make sure you have a certificate of conformity before you arrive or the task is even more difficult!
MrsW is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 23:00
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midleton, Ireland
Posts: 1,464
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Hold on a while porterboy and, as we say, you might be 'out the gap' with a better deal as regards the VRT See Here
Jean-Luc is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I will be much older if that comes through. We discussed this when we joined the EEC so long ago. Very interesting to see the outcome though. Great find Jean Luc.
porterboy is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 15:11
Senior Member
Yaxley's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick Ireland
My Motorhome: Hobby Optima Premium T70GE
Posts: 580
Thanks: 67
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I imported mine two years ago and paid 50Euro when it was registered in Jan 2011. I didnt realise that that they had changed the regulations in the meantime. Thank you Jean-Luc for pointing that out.
I'm afraid I dont have a solution to your problem.
Yaxley is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 15:34
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK and Katowice, Poland, plus All Europe
My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Posts: 12,742
Thanks: 885
Thanked 472 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by JP
Surely a friends address in England would be best, no import tax as its used and easy to pop back home when you come each year for an MOT.
You don't need proof of address to register it but you would have to find insurance that would allow extended trips out of the UK.
JP's answer is very practical. There is no requirement for proof of residence.

There is another alternative - Isle of Man, where you have to present the vehicle for first registration, which is not technically difficult, but thereafter no MOT required. If interested in that PM to me.

nicholsong is online now  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome