Importing Vehicle in to France/Belgium - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:23

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Our 2000 Hobby 750 took 6 months and €950 to re register in France. As you say AZ it saves taking it back to UK for MOT and tax.
I would have an RV if it was possible to reg it in France. But the French put too many hurdles in the way of anything not manufactured in the EEC.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 13:20

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Hi bci151512, a lot will depend on the vehicle you choose its age and where it was built.
As to the ease of registration well that's a ???? But my suggestions / observations.
Firstly a lot will depend on the weight of the vehicle if 3500Kgs or under considerably easier than over, a few reasons why, if over, France classifies it as Poids Lourdes (a lorry) this will mean a yearly vehicle test with 6 monthly smoke test (some departments allow yearly), the cost of insurance is higher and you will be restricted from driving in some places (normally town centres or small villages), speed limits are reduced, that is grossly simplified but gives the basics.
You state you have relatives resident in France, any chance one of them has the same surname as you? if they do it might help with the proof of residence required, the basic requirements for the registration are a bona fide address verified by utility bills, proof of identity (passport) all the necessary documentation which will include a Certificate of Conformity and of course the money how much will depend on the vehicle. There are French government web sites that set out exactly what is required and the cost of doing so; unfortunately like most things here they are in French.
I think the biggest hurdle will be proving residence, as so long as you have all of the required documentation, it's possible to complete with a single visit to the main prefecture of the area you are registering in.
Most of the horror stories you hear (mostly true) are caused through lack of documentation.
The choice of Germany to buy is a good one as they have a well set up procedure for selling vehicles to export, which most of the dealers are aware of.
If you have specific questions feel free to PM me

John
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 13:46

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
I would add my agreement to those two above - the process takes time and money but does go through IF you have all the relevant paperwork - the proof of residency is vital - without it you will not get the certificate of import and then everything else fails.....

we had all the paperwork and it still took 7 months since Swift had failed to register our type with the Paris authorities - once that was done it was then simply ( ) a case of persuading the sous-prefecture in Bergerac that the eurotype approval DID exist....

The office involved in Bergerac had a habit of putting the paperwork to the bottom of the pile - week in, week out until eventually they could no longer avoid it as Paris HO had rung up and reminded them that the numbers DO exist and were acceptable......

Then the carte grise was issued.....

we now have to have a Controle Technique annually as the vehicle is over 3.5t. If it had been below then it is every two years.....

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:22

Query

Hello raynipper, we are curious as to why it took 6 months for you to obtain the registration?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 13:36

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Resume.......................... done now.

I am at present in the throes of endeavoring to register my 2000 Hobby 750 manufactured in Germany but registered in UK into France.

I am now three months into the process and have amassed great wads of documents at great expense as they have to be in French to satisfy the DRIRE (Ministry of Transport) requirements.
First you must ask your local DRIRE for the importation dossier and they provide the latest list of requirements.

After getting a French Heavy Goods MOT (Controle Technique) due to my tag axle Hobby being 4,500 kg. gross. €80 plus €200 for LHD headlights
I had to weigh each axle and attach the weighbridge receipt to their form.
A Certificate of Conformity had to be obtained from Hobby France at €230.
A Veritas inspection of the gas and electrical installations certificate at €227. plus minor modifications.
A specification of the base vehicle and the completed conversion in French.
A specification of the weights full, empty and wet. Capacities of all tanks.
The original UK registration Certificate.
The current UK MOT.
The purchase receipt.

I then presented myself at my local DRIRE office 60 miles away in Caen only to be told a new and later list of requirements had been created since they sent the last one.

I now have to get a chassis/engine Certificate of Conformity from Fiat France €130.
Complete several new forms relating to seats, weights and storage compartments.

I live in hopes and will persevere to the bitter end. As another friend with a Peugeot UK registered motorhome took two years to get his finally passed and matriculated.

I did try and register a US Chrysler Voyager in France about 5 years ago and even though it was the identical vehicle manufactured in Austria for the European Market (less a few little 'e' marks) I gave up after 18 months and sold in UK.
UPDATE early DEC 08.
I have just sent by registered mail the 32 Yes 32 documents necessary to progress this registration. Any one of which the French can find some minor error and return the whole lot. You would not believe the questions and answers they require.
Apart from the fact the vehicle has already been registered in two other European countries, every item on this camper has to have evidence conformity and documented.
Eventually received an appointment to attend a vehicle workshop at St. Lo for the DRIRE to check that all the numbers on all the documentation conform with all the numbers etched on the camper. It would have to be Dec.24th. or Christmas Eve.

Finally get cleared conformation that the DRIRE are completely happy with all aspects of the vehicle and with their signed and stamped approval document I can now apply to The Prefecture for registration.

Downloaded three more forms and duly filled them in. Presented myself at the main Town Hall or Prefecture with all 33 documents and asked for registration. Nooooooooooo. Another document namely the customs import form again duly signed and stamped. But this was not available at St. Lo but Valognes 30 miles away.
After lunch another trip to the Prefecture at St. Lo only to be told the MOT which was only five months old was no longer valid for registration purposes and a new one would have to be taken. Another trip to Valognes and another MOT scheduled for Thursday at another €86.00.
So after 240 km of twice round trip to St. Lo all I have achieved is two more documents making 35. Managed to pass the second MOT in five months even though the test was very much more thorough and they have decided as it's in the Heavy Goods category it must have those large speed roundels stuck on the back. Hardly attractive and I have never seen any other motorhome with them on.
Finally with all now 36 official documents presented for the third time to St. Lo we pay the €138 and come away with the new 'Carte Grise' officially giving us French registration six months and €1,000 later.!!!

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page