New Zealand motorhome - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-01-2013, 19:33 Thread Starter

New Zealand motorhome

After much deliberation we have decided to buy a van here in nz and just hire in the uk for our trip in the summer. The emissions rules unless you buy new have made it difficult to import. So I wonder if you would give me your thoughts on this ex rental van we are looking at.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=511054026

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-01-2013, 22:28

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Hi

Unfortunately I doubt many members here (self included) have much knowledge of the NZ marketplace.

However we do have an active member who is engaged in the M/H import business living in auckland (I think), his name is Paul and having met him I can vouch for the fact that he's a nice guy. I'm sure he'd be able to give you some good advice from a local perspective. Send him a PM if he doesn't post on this thread, here is a link to his profile.
https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-...file-6730.html

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-01-2013, 23:42

confused

I am a bit confused.

Where do you live?

Are you wanting to import / export?

Is it a SprintShift or a True Torque converter Automatic?

TM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 02:24 Thread Starter

in NZ we call em Tiptronic, so u can drive in auto or change up the gears.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 03:35

Hi Kiwibrit.
We are in NZ for a couple of months, not motorhoming, just borrow the daughters car and backpack hostels.

We are driving down from Hawera to Masterton tomorrow but not going over to the South Island so can't have a look at it.

To me it seems a high price for an ex rental van with that amount of Kms on the clock, Have you looked at it ? some of the exrental vans I have looked at over here have been in a very poor state.

I would take Ken's (Gaspode) advice and contact Paul.

But as you say the regulations on imported vehicles are prohibitive.

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Sid
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 03:41 Thread Starter

The van is actually in Auckland and I just got back from looking at it, it's very tired looking and does have 345 on he clock so it's a no I think.
Have a good time in the north island, if you go anywhere near taupo or rotorua go to the best thermal pools in NZ called Waikite Valley hot pools..... U will love them
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 05:10

What a shame the MH is not what you want. I agree the k's are a bit high. I have the identical model, just gone over 200k ks. Have had it for more than 6 years and still love it. Have done lots to it though ... solar panels, new loo, cooker, upholstery, double bed mattress, curtains, house batteries, etc. We spend several months in it each year.

A friend recently bought another identical one for NZ$42500. That one has done 245k ks and he's very happy with it.

Plus points; drives a dream, rear wheel drive, cam chain, double rear wheels, good hot water system. Wouldn't swap for anything else I've seen.

I would also strongly suggest that you join the NZMCA before you buy anything. You may find a good van through the membership and insurance is loads cheaper, and has better cover, than anything else I've found. Happy travels.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 09:39

Importing into NZ

Hi Kiwibrit,

Received your PM thanks but thought I'd answer in the forum as it may help others.

The required emission standard for vehicles joining the NZ fleet from Jan 1st 2013 was to become Euro 5. This would mean any imported vehicles would have to be no older than approximately 2011. However, in December an amendment was introduced to delay the requirement for Euro 5 until at least some time in 2014. As a result Euro 4 vehicles are still acceptable and these can be found back to late 2006. Be warned though - there are a lot more regulations involved than just the emissions and proof is required that these are met. If the motorhome is not fitted with a Whole of Vehicle Type Approval plate displaying the right numbers allow about three months and several thousand dollars to get it on the road - and there's no guarantee that will be achieved.

It can make economic sense to privately import a motorhome into NZ, but it has to be the right model and done in the right way.

There's an interesting article in the November 2012 edition of MMM around page 180 about this.

Regards,
Pugwash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page