How to legally drive used motorhome from french dealer to fe - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn
I live in the Mayenne and having bought a few of vehicles over here including campers, I would suggest your problem with the dealer is not that he does not want your business (I'm sure he does) but the regulations for buying a vehicle here are difficult to understand for non residents. The Germans have a system where the registration of the vehicle for export is dealt with via a unique and well tried system which includes third party transit insurance.
To buy a vehicle in France you need proof of residence and the dealer must register the vehicle to it's new owner before delivery, I don't know for sure but I doubt if there is the option for a UK address and I'll guess that if there is a system for exporting it will not be an easy one to follow.
The registration system was changed recently, before the change each Department dealt with the detail but now it is centrally controlled.

I would think you'll get a better result if you can find a fluent French speaker to speak the the Manager of the dealer.
Yes I reckon your problem is France as a whole, not just the dealers.

PS Nice as the place is, I had to try very hard not to leave the "w" off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 14:48

I would forget about using trade plates. These belong to the dealer and can only be used legally if a member of their staff is in the vehicle.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 15:40

Am I being dim (remote possibility ) or missing something (highly likely ) but why are you so keen to buy in France when it is obviously so problematic?

You said the Rapido 996m and 9096 vans that you particularly want are very uncommon, but Mr Google just found a shedload . . . all over the UK.

What am I missing??

Dave

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 17:43 Thread Starter
Ezy

Hi Zebedee, you are quite right there are shedloads in the UK but we are wanting LHD as we will be travelling around Europe for a long time.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 17:55

Don`t worry about the vehicle being LHD.
There are many of us that drive RHD vehicles all over the continent.
My first encounter yo France must have been over 20 years ago to a sited holiday home. The following year I towed a caravan. It is so easy once sat up high in a mh.
Dave p

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 17:59

It's surprising how little MH dealers seem to know about export procedures.

When was negotiating the purchase of my Rapido new in the UK, one dealer (near Reading) was proposing to deliver it to Fishguard by transporter, the other (near Nottingham) had the habit of fitting cloned number plates from a same model recently sold into the UK market to just have a 'valid' number plate fitted while on route to the ferry

Neither knew anything about the facility of export plates available through the DVLA.

As regards insurance, it was not a problem as the vehicle was insured using the VIN number until its Irish Reg. No. was issued, it was an AXA underwritten policy.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 18:00

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn
I live in the Mayenne and having bought a few of vehicles over here including campers, I would suggest your problem with the dealer is not that he does not want your business (I'm sure he does) but the regulations for buying a vehicle here are difficult to understand for non residents. The Germans have a system where the registration of the vehicle for export is dealt with via a unique and well tried system which includes third party transit insurance.
To buy a vehicle in France you need proof of residence and the dealer must register the vehicle to it's new owner before delivery, I don't know for sure but I doubt if there is the option for a UK address and I'll guess that if there is a system for exporting it will not be an easy one to follow.
The registration system was changed recently, before the change each Department dealt with the detail but now it is centrally controlled.

I would think you'll get a better result if you can find a fluent French speaker to speak the the Manager of the dealer.
I concur with what you are saying. In 2010, we bought a LHD (used) car of which there were only a few in Germany and France. After much toing and froing, I gave up with the French system for insuring in transit to the port, even though the cars were cheaper there. I am fluent in German (I am half-German Swiss) and went the Germany route. They did all the arrangements in English, even after hearing my spoken German (before anyone says anything, they had thought I was originally from Frankfurt as I lived there in the 80s and picked up the local accent). The system is all set up with "Z" plates (which automatically carry 3rd party insurance) as the registration for the journey to the port. Once on British soil, we phoned our insurer with the chassis number and insured with im until the MOT and UK plates were done. The "Z" plates were posted back to Germany and we got a partial refund for the days we didn't use the vehicle on them.

However, taking a vehicle in the other direction, and registering it in Germany isn't so easy. Another story!!!!

Colin

No longer motorhoming due to illness, but always prepared to help by sharing any experience I may have.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-01-2013, 18:07

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Surely if you have found the vehicle you can arrange the insurance on a one-off basis?

I do not know if it is difficult for a French dealer to sell a vehicle for export within the EU but I suspect there are bound to be lots of pieces of paper involved in such a transaction (there always are in France )

There are very many dealers that sell Rapido vehicles and it may well be worth ringing more than one or two to ascertain about how to do it. We have used a company in Villeneuve sur Lot (20 minutes from here) now called Loisirs 47 (changed owners last year);

http://www.ypocamp.fr/htm/general_pa...A-36-47300.htm

if you contact them (schoolboy "O" level French - failed works as I can vouch!) then we would be happy to help you in any way that we can if that proves feasible.

There may well be other companies more locally to you (I know there are some very big ones off the main road from Rennes to Nantes as we drive past them often.....), but we would be happy to help if we can..... (if the worst comes to the worst we always have a gite that you could occupy while sorting things out for a very reasonable fee ) - Bergerac airport is our local airport (flights from many of the budget airlines from the UK including Newcastle, Southampton, Bristol and Leeds as well as others.....) so we are easy to get to.

BUT obviously your first problem has to be how you could do such a thing and "persuade" a French dealer to sell you a suitable vehicle.

PS Our Swift is RHD and it works superbly at most junctions although there are a couple of oblique junctions that do require the service of my co-driver...........

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-01-2013, 00:47

If it's a Rapido you are planning to buy why not give Rapido in Mayenne a call, they have some excellent English speaking people there, Anthony Pfaff for example.
If the end objective is another Rapido on the road of the UK be it new or used they might help you to understand the necessities of exporting one from France.

Do remember that the dealer may just not be properly informed of the correct procedure, as I found out when importing from the UK.
Why not talk to one in eastern France where exports to The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany may be more common place.

BTW, my Rapido is LHD by special order from a UK dealer. I find it very 'natural' and comfortable to drive in LHD land, where it has done most of its 80,000 kms, and at the same time no bother when in RHD land.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page