UK MoT for Continental Van - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 16:00

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
REAR fog light must be fitted on the centre line or to the off side of the centre line FOR UK REGISTERED vehicles. (no regulation governing the number, one is the minimum) and if its on the wrong side it WILL be picked up at the MOT.
Speedo to the best of my knowledge must display the speed in units that are used in the country the vehicle is registered in i.e mph in the UK and Kph on the continent.

If it was my vehicle I would certainly want it to show the speed without me having to constantly think "How many mph is ??Kph"

Why not speak to one of the professional importers, they will be able to give you a definative answer as they are doing it all the time!!

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 16:20

I have done it the other way round by buying a UK rhd car and re-regestering it here in France.

When it came to the CT (equivelant to the UK MoT) it was neccessary to change headlights and re-wire rear fog light and reversing light to the opposite sides. As long as the speedo shows both mph and kph there is no need to change.

If you are resident in France then why not re-register the vehicle here rather than faff around going back to the UK every year for the Mot? What you save in one ferry crossing will more than pay for the re-registration and the French CT lasts for 2 years
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 16:33

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
It is crazy that 'Construction and use' Regs permit a vehicle to be fitted with only one rear fog light, considering how many travel to from Continent to UK and vice/versa, with no requirement to change them just to drive in another country. At the same time it is deemed necessary to dip headlights the other way.

ILLOGICAL!

And furthermore, if there is a requirement to have a foglight fitted, wherever, why is there not one to require it to be illuminated?

Geoff

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 17:05

Just to point out that if the M/H is over 3.5 tonnes then it will need an annual CT in France. I speak from experience as that is what we have to do with ours!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsW
Just to point out that if the M/H is over 3.5 tonnes then it will need an annual CT in France. I speak from experience as that is what we have to do with ours!

Good point, but in this case I think the van is not over 3500kg
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 21:46

i am agree with all of them.van should be good so that saving from fog.Thanks for the question. You are looking for that magical "Theoretical" air. The exact amount required to completely burn the fuel. The truth is that there has to be "excess air". According to the John Zink Combustion Handbook, excess air is defined as "the amount of air needed by a burner which is in excess of the amount required for perfect or stoichiometric combustion. Some amount of excess air, depending on the available fuel/air mixing energy, is required to assure through mixing of the fuel and air for complete combustion
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 22:02

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong
It is crazy that 'Construction and use' Regs permit a vehicle to be fitted with only one rear fog light, considering how many travel to from Continent to UK and vice/versa, with no requirement to change them just to drive in another country. At the same time it is deemed necessary to dip headlights the other way.

ILLOGICAL!

And furthermore, if there is a requirement to have a foglight fitted, wherever, why is there not one to require it to be illuminated?

Geoff
Even stranger is that Rapido remove the fog light bulbs from the nearside and offside rear light clusters on the heavy 4,250kg chassis and fit a single foglight in the rear panel.

Last edited by rayc; 29-03-2015 at 10:49.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page