Swanage area overnight parking - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 21:20

Re: Swanage parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundial
As a resident of the town, I can assure you that parking/sleeping overnight is allowed in King George's car park, Victoria Avenue and the North Beach car park at the end of Bon Accord Road. The fee is approx £5.50 each night. I would mention that the North Beach car park has the football club adjacent so might be more noisy, plus the recycling bins are situated here.
I actually wrote in to the Town Council saying they were missing a trick by banning motorhomes and you can see the notice board at the entrance has been changed to reflect this change of heart. Enjoy!!

Sundial
As regular visitors to the area, last summer we discovered the Council was allowing overnighting at the two carparks in Swanage.

Unfortunately, however, I spotted the note below posted on another forum this morning:

Swanage bans overnight stays
The inconsiderate action of a few motorhome users has resulted in Swanage Council banning all motorhomes from staying overnight. The following email from the council explains:
We did allow campervans in Main Beach car park for an overnight stay. This allowed people the option of staying an extra night, for example, on a Saturday night if they had to vacate the campsite on Saturday morning etc. Unfortunately as very often happens, a minority of people were abusing this facility and using the car park as a campsite. We received complaints that people were using the public conveniences to empty their chemical toilets. The toilets (which very often, had just been cleaned) had to be redone due to spillages. Complaints were also made that the stream had been used for the same purpose and very often trees etc were used to hang washing on! At the Transport Committee Meeting held on 30th November 2010 the following recommendation was taken: It was RECOMMENDED TO: Withdraw the opportunity for overnight parking of campervans in Main Beach and North Beach car parks as a result of mis-use of the Council's facilities. Therefore, there are no car parks available for this purpose. There are a couple of lay-by's in Swanage that motorhomes do use, very often for a night before they can get into a campsite. These are found at the north end of Swanage in the vicinity of Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park and Northbrook Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 21:35 Thread Starter

oh crumbs, thanks for that, well if anyone knows anywhere we can stop overnight it will be much appreciated.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 13:15

Swanage parking

Well it seems having managed to persuade the Council to allow parking, there are people who were prepared to abuse the system.

It is right that "camping" should not be allowed - as per French aires - but for few selfish motorhomers to have now ruined it (don't they know how to flush a toilet? as for the stream - how disgusting...) for the responsible majority who wished just to be allowed to park overnight - for payment too!!!!! The Council now will miss out on this valuable revenue.

We counted ten motorhomes parked along the seafront yesterday and a couple in laybys - Northbrook Road has a small one that does not front any residential properties and so seems to be tolerated as overnight parking.

At least we can't say we didn't try!!

Sundial

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-08-2018, 15:42

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundial View Post
As a resident of the town, I can assure you that parking/sleeping overnight is allowed in King George's car park, Victoria Avenue and the North Beach car park at the end of Bon Accord Road. The fee is approx £5.50 each night. I would mention that the North Beach car park has the football club adjacent so might be more noisy, plus the recycling bins are situated here.
I actually wrote in to the Town Council saying they were missing a trick by banning motorhomes and you can see the notice board at the entrance has been changed to reflect this change of heart. Enjoy!!

Sundial
Sadly out of date. The sign now says "No camping or overnight sleeping. Penalty charge ticket will be issued £60
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 21-08-2018, 21:55

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Hi and welcome to the forum campervanner.

Useful post, thanks.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page