Rother Council propose fines for overnight sleeping - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 141 (permalink) Old 15-01-2018, 18:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Roller Team T-590
Personal Aire
Rother Council propose fines for overnight sleeping

http://www.rother.gov.uk/article/129...cial-behaviour

Wild Camping is now looked on as anti-social behaviour by Rother council with a proposed £100 per night fine for overnight sleeping ANYWHERE on a highway or public open space.

On the ITV Meridian news tonight featuring a couple who were homeless apart from their motorhome. They are not causing any trouble and seem a perfectly nice couple who want to live full time in their motorhome in Bexhill.

https://www.bexhillobserver.net/news...ness-1-8326372

Any members who live in the Rother Council area may wish to write to complain.
barryd, barryd, coppo and 3 others like this.

Dave

Last edited by Charisma; 15-01-2018 at 18:24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 (permalink) Old 15-01-2018, 18:32

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
bugger!! I live in Rother and that's the 1st time I have seen anything about that consultation paper. If I'd known I could have chipped in, but if you look at the article, the consultation period finished on 12th January so I guess we'll have to see what comes out of it as far as motorhome owners are concerned.

There's not a huge number of wildcamping spots in Rother - Norman's Bay is the one usually quoted - but I know of a number of other quiet spots where a single m/h would be fine overnighting and they are in out of the way spots. You used to be able to overnight on the road up to Galley Hill in Bexhill but that had a "no overnighting" bylaw slapped on it a few years ago.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #3 of 141 (permalink) Old 15-01-2018, 19:56

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
bugger!! I live in Rother and that's the 1st time I have seen anything about that consultation paper. If I'd known I could have chipped in, but if you look at the article, the consultation period finished on 12th January so I guess we'll have to see what comes out of it as far as motorhome owners are concerned.

There's not a huge number of wildcamping spots in Rother - Norman's Bay is the one usually quoted - but I know of a number of other quiet spots where a single m/h would be fine overnighting and they are in out of the way spots. You used to be able to overnight on the road up to Galley Hill in Bexhill but that had a "no overnighting" bylaw slapped on it a few years ago.
Simply contact the Council stating that under the Freedom of Information Act you want the details of the alleged complaints and incidents of discharging sewage (when and where). I bet anything you like that they will be unable to supply anything. It is probably someone on the Council or an influential pal of a Councillor who has made an unjustified complaint.
cabby, cabby, fatbuddha and 13 others like this.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum

post #4 of 141 (permalink) Old 15-01-2018, 19:57

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:

This is what happens with mission creep when powers are given to Councils. When The Protection of Public Places legislation was passed it was to enable the authorities to deal with major problems quickly without waiting for court action. As is the way with these things Councils have used it to create more and more banned activities which in themselves are not against the law.
post #5 of 141 (permalink) Old 15-01-2018, 20:02

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
So where do this couple (and the occupants of the other 5 vans) dispose of their waste effluent? They aren't motorhomers in the true sense of the word, simply people of no fixed abode and there CAN BE a world of difference and impact on the neighbourhood. Not criticising them personally as I am not in a position to judge from the facts given.
DJMotorhomer and DJMotorhomer like this.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"

Last edited by HermanHymer; 15-01-2018 at 20:06.
post #6 of 141 (permalink) Old 16-01-2018, 07:01

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Discharging sewage etc. might be anti-social but trying to ban the act of 'sleeping' Oh, Please!

We sleep regularly and do notget complaints from our neighbours
erneboy and erneboy like this.
post #7 of 141 (permalink) Old 16-01-2018, 08:56

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,005 Times in 870 Posts
Personal Aire
Another NIMBY council by the sound of it.

“The decision to include overnight stays in campervans in the consultation was taken in response to concerns raised by residents about the resultant disturbance and effect on the area, including issues such as discharge of sewage into drains and gullies."

Typical response. I bet there is no evidence. Possibly someone has seen someone discharging grey water down a storm drain and put two and two together to make five or they just dont like seeing motorhomes having a "freebee".

Either way lets just ban everyone.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 141 (permalink) Old 16-01-2018, 09:23

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
An interesting proposition, just how do they propose proving "Beyond all reasonable doubt" that anyone is inside sleeping??

I suspect they will try the usual trick of erecting signs with no local order to back them up.

I like the idea of the FOI request for evidence of anti-social behavior from MH'ers.

Andy
erneboy, erneboy, barryd and 1 others like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #9 of 141 (permalink) Old 16-01-2018, 10:36

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Simply contact the Council stating that under the Freedom of Information Act you want the details of the alleged complaints and incidents of discharging sewage (when and where). I bet anything you like that they will be unable to supply anything. It is probably someone on the Council or an influential pal of a Councillor who has made an unjustified complaint.
might well do that.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #10 of 141 (permalink) Old 16-01-2018, 10:39

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Quote:
might well do that.
I have already done it.

The more the merrier. I have also told them that many of the 250,000 registered Leisure vehicles will stay away on principle, thus affecting the Tourist Trade.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page