Overnight motorhome parking campaigner - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 14:02

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Hi Geoff,

In built up areas (especially tourist areas) your approach is probably the best one to take and motorhomes would be a benefit but mostly off-season when the place is otherwise dead.

One big problem to overcome with newer Retail Parks is the fact that many of the car parks are administered by a parking enforcement company and the stay is limited to 2 or 3 hours. I had this problem when I approached Asda about motorhomes overnighting in their Gateshead Metrocentre branch car park. it would have brought in plenty of revenue for them but their contract with a private parking company stopped it. Remember that they are part of Walmart who have always allowed RV's to overnight in the USA.

If anyone is interested in talking to their local Council, they should include links to the Councils which have done something positive and have generated more business for their area. Your point is correct about motorhomers not contacting their Council because they never need to overnight at home. Most motorhomers want a lot without doing anything at all. Without a grass roots push, nothing will ever change.

When I used the word 'retailers' I was not thinking of Retail Parks - horrible soulless places, but of small shops - butchers, bakers etc. , even charity shops. The sort of shops which would benefit from parking near their locations, thus avoiding MHs being forced to the Tesco/Sainsbury in Retail Parks.

An example I can think of near you is the CP on the S. side of the bridge in Corbridge, short walk to a butcher with good mutton pies and we picked up a few bits at the Co-oP. No height barriers, but unfortunately, I think, 'No Overnight'. So the pubs lost out.

Pubs are another retail outlet that might benefit from public MH parking, without filling their car parks - there seem to be quite a few imbibers on MHF, myself included - Basia comes a close second.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 15:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Maybe I should have explained it better Geoff.

In places like Scarborough and Whitby for example, I did mean High Street retailers. They undoubtedly have lost out and will only notice it in the off season when it is very quiet. In fact, despite an orchestrated campaign in Scarborough (which the local newspaper was happy to publicise any downside of motorhomes) the business owners have been complaining about a downturn.

As for your experience in Corbridge, motorhomes DO overnight in that Car Park, despite the signage. You have to remember that not every sign is legal, plus if you arrive late, nobody knows you were there overnight.

AND

You could have pulled into the Sports ground and had a night there, tucked away behind the Grandstand. The railway line is close but there are no overnight trains. It is further away from the Town but close to a very good Pub (The Dyvils) and an excellent Restaurant in the Railway Station building.

Please ask when you are next in my area Geoff.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 17:21

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)

OK, your on - and its my first round in the pub (you can pay for the restaurant )

Do you think we can invite Barry? or is it a bit far North for him - the beer might not be to his 'continental' taste

Geoff

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 18:42

Hi BarryD

As far as I remember Andy Strangeways stated he had received some emails about motorhome parking on Mull and he asked if anyone else had had such problems. If so he offered to take up some action if there was a need. He did not say he was going to take action on Mull.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 19:32

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,088 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthompson
Hi BarryD

As far as I remember Andy Strangeways stated he had received some emails about motorhome parking on Mull and he asked if anyone else had had such problems. If so he offered to take up some action if there was a need. He did not say he was going to take action on Mull.
No but he was discussing it and I think the thread was partly what led to him spitting his dummy out as people quite rightly told him to leave well alone. Knowing his reputation for going ahead and starting these campaigns (in his car) and taking direct action as he calls it I like many did not want any such action taken in Mull of all places.

We never got a chance to discuss it at length as he left but not before threatening Phil the forum owner which was way out of order.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 19:44

Personal Aire
We cannot really argue about the truth of it now John because Andy demanded that every post in every thread he took part in was wiped from WC4MH otherwise he would take legal action against the Admin. Even his name had to be edited out.

We had some quite amusing posts whenever someone said 'that's handy', it came out as 'that's h****'. Of course members dreamt up loads of variations on the theme.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 20:28

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,088 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
We cannot really argue about the truth of it now John because Andy demanded that every post in every thread he took part in was wiped from WC4MH otherwise he would take legal action against the Admin. Even his name had to be edited out.

We had some quite amusing posts whenever someone said 'that's handy', it came out as 'that's h****'. Of course members dreamt up loads of variations on the theme.
I stayed out of his threads and campaigns and didnt really comment until the Mull thread. My suspicions of his motives also came into play when I discovered he wasnt a motorhomer and had started asking for money. This suspicion was further risen when he went to such lengths, threatening Phil and having all his posts removed because a few people started questioning him.

Surely he should have just come back and simply answered the doubters. It was almost like he had a lot to loose by people just questioning him. Just didnt feel right to me. I have a soft spot for wildcamping.co.uk and Phil has worked hard to keep it all going for I suspect little reward. I have known Phil a long time and know nothing about this chap at all.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 20:41

Phil the owner of Wild, has been doing a fantastic job for years, unfortunately, he has had more than his fair share of Trolls.
Seems to have settled down now!
A stand up Guy!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-02-2014, 22:00 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
When you join him at Huttoft (not Skegness) please let us all know about your arrest for obstruction and how much you were fined please.

No arrests, no fines.
You must be really disappointed.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 23-02-2014, 23:09

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencocamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
When you join him at Huttoft (not Skegness) please let us all know about your arrest for obstruction and how much you were fined please.

No arrests, no fines.
You must be really disappointed.
Not at all but a few details might be worth mentioning. It will save me logging on to motorhomingwild to find out.

In fact here you are, this is what you should have attached to your post.

http://andystrangewayovernightparkin...tion-number-3/

I see that nobody parked close up to the height barrier (and blocked access as promised in the lead up to this action).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page