Advice please, ferry cancelled - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 7,044
Thanks: 193
Thanked 359 Times in 345 Posts
Advice please, ferry cancelled

I'd noticed this morning the weather on 3rd (my sailing date from Santander to Cork) was dire (told the kids they weren't praying hard enough!).

BF are worried too.... Just had this email "Due to adverse weather conditions at sea, your sailing Santander-Cork on Sunday 3/11/19 at 1200 has been cancelled. Please contact 021 4277801 ( select option 1) or 00 44 1752 645726 for assistance with onward travel. Your options are to travel to Ireland via the UK on our Spain- UK services or to transfer to the next available direct sailing to Cork from Santander on Thursday 7/11 at 1730. Alternatively, you can cancel your booking and receive a full refund. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused."

What to do..... Will take some thinking.....

Just thought I'd put it out there for observations...

Jean
jiwawa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:05
Senior Member
 
raynipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Posts: 20,461
Thanks: 1,036
Thanked 368 Times in 348 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Can you just delay the sailing for a day or two until the next boat sails Jean? Or you could come via Cherbourg.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
raynipper is online now  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 7,044
Thanks: 193
Thanked 359 Times in 345 Posts
Yeah, could go 7th. My boat was the last of the season. Want to be home for 12th - promised granddaughter I'd be home for her birthday. What if 7th is also delayed?...

Jean
jiwawa is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:37
Senior Member
 
raynipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Posts: 20,461
Thanks: 1,036
Thanked 368 Times in 348 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Think positive Jean.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
raynipper is online now  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:38
Senior Member
 
erneboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spain + Germany
My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Posts: 27,200
Thanks: 165
Thanked 480 Times in 452 Posts
I'd wait for the weather to calm unless there was some imperative bringing me home. I dislike sailing in rough weather. They don't particularly bother me but they are very uncomfortable. I've been on a couple of whoppers, one where the crew all put life jackets on as the furniture and fruit machines broke their tethers and flew about and lorries below broke lose. No fun at all.

Another where Cairnryan Larne took over 6 hours because they didn't want to try to turn round to go back to port and had to go NW into the weather rather than cross it to go to larne. The went NW till they could use the lee off Rathlin to turn and have the weather astern. Not nice.

I'd avoid rough weather if I could.
raynipper likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
erneboy is online now  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:56
Senior Member
 
dghr272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrickfergus NI
My Motorhome: Arapaho
Posts: 6,180
Thanks: 211
Thanked 525 Times in 490 Posts
Personal Aire
5-6 days could easily get you to Cherbourg for a direct ferry to Ireland????

Terry

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
dghr272 is online now  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 7,044
Thanks: 193
Thanked 359 Times in 345 Posts
Bad weather DOES bother me Alan - not a good sailor I'm afraid.

They say they'll make a €205 contribution to get me to Cherbourg - need to check that against Autoroute toll costs - anyone know? Then I can do landbridge to Ireland. Again, not sure Wales-Dublin or Cairnryan-Belfast....
erneboy likes this.

Jean
jiwawa is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 13:08 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 7,044
Thanks: 193
Thanked 359 Times in 345 Posts
Cherbourg is out.

From Caroline at BF:
There is not a sailing from Cherbourg to Portsmouth as it is the High Speed ferry that does not run at this time of year

Alternative routes:

Caen-Portsmouth, subject to availability, at 08.30, 16.30 and 21.30 on 5 and 6 November

Le Havre-Portsmouth 17.00 and 21.30 both days

Cherbourg-Poole 09.45 and 22.30 both days

Jean
jiwawa is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 13:25 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 7,044
Thanks: 193
Thanked 359 Times in 345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
5-6 days could easily get you to Cherbourg for a direct ferry to Ireland????

Terry
Cherbourg Dublin - "In this scenario we would cancel the affected leg with a full refund, there would be no onward travel allowance as it is with a different company.

You would have to make the new booking and pay for it utilising the refund we would arrange."

Jean
jiwawa is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 13:35
Senior Member
 
dghr272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrickfergus NI
My Motorhome: Arapaho
Posts: 6,180
Thanks: 211
Thanked 525 Times in 490 Posts
Personal Aire
Surely if you get full refund Stena’s Cherbourg - Rosslare is an option ?

Apart from €12 for the Millau bridge the A75 is free right up to Clermont Ferrand.

Terry

Crossed post. Just saw your response

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
dghr272 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome