Check sea state before boarding ferry - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 15:10

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Any UK style risk assessment would rule that out completely.

Alan I think you would be correct in terms os the dock workers and passengers/vehicles.

However I saw nothing wrong in the handling of the ferry itself.

I think at the plannng stage a UK Risk Assessment would have concluded that the quay is too exposed and too low for the proposed operation in advese conditions.

British ferry ports, at least those within my experience, have been designed with moles and docking systems with adjustable ramps and huge fenders.

Greece does not have the infrastructure nor money, but for a lot of islanders the ferry is their lifeline, for food medicine etc. - do they take the chances with flooded quays or running or of insulin?

When I was first using Greek ferries 40+ years ago often they had to anchor in the bay and transfer passengers via the ramp to local fishing boats - that in a seaway was more dangerous as one could be straight into the water.

I once sat it out stern-on to the quay in a force 8 in Astypalea for 3 days.

Mhs are easy-peasy.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 15:31

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I understand why they do it Geoff. I was merely remarking that despite both the UK and Greece being in the EU and thus, notionally at least, conforming to the same Health and Safety standards, the Greeks get on with doing something which would get the people responsible into a world of sh!ħt in the UK should such a video come to light.

I spent my last 20 years at work trying, successfully luckily, to stay on the right side of the Health and Safety legislation. We even had one very serious dangerous occurrence involving a parked aircraft (or whatever the equivalent of parking is in aviation) in which nobody was injured. I was asked to produce my risk assessment and answered honestly, that the possibility that what had happened could possibly ever happen had not occurred to me. Thankfully my clients agreed that the possibility had never occurred to them either and left it there, after our insurance had paid for the damage of course.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 15:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Pity our Brexit masters haven't been asked the same requirements.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page