Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Holland Germany Sweden Finland Norway and back

10K views 117 replies 12 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
Good Morning to you all,
Just before the first Covid Lockdown we purchased a 2017 reg Mercedes Sprinter 314 cdi two and a half years old LWB to convert to a campervan.It was two and a half years old with 78,000 miles on the clock with full detailed service history.It had been on lease to BT.Anyway we bought it just before the first lockdown, and it just sat in secure storage till we were all released, then I got to work.Here are some pictures of the said.

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/Our-Mercedes-Sprinter

.I like the look of it thats all that matters.Anyway I am going on this trip starting on November 13th.

Catching the ferry from North Shields England to Ijmuiden Holland then heading north and east to catch another ferry from Rostock Germany to Trelleborg Sweden.The furthest places on my journey will be Rovaniemi Kirkenes Vardo The North Cape Tromso Norway Jokkmokk and all points back south.This next link is to my approx route

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/ARCTIC-ADVENTURE-NOVDEC2021/

As I said I leave Nov13th and get back home Dec 20th.What do I think of my Sprinter van........It has the 140hp engine and I have been getting about 580 miles to a tankful.It just wafts along effortlessly.I will post pictures on here and youtube video's.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great job Dog, must be very satisfying, enjoy your travels.

Terry

#3 ·
Yes I too hope that you enjoy the trip. You are obviously a "planner", I hope that the storms are kind and that the autumn colouring of the trees that the area is renowned for lasts until Nov for you. Have a good one and may the the van perform well.

#5 ·
Enjoy it all and yes please post any info and updates................it is a trip that we hope to do next year.

#7 ·
Yes, IS it do able thats the question that only the weather Gods can predict.I have a little driving experience as in 40 years HGV Class 1 (retired).IN our country we have a very good motorway network that makes everywhere accessible year round.English councils please take note of Scottish councils in regard to clearing.
If you look at Sweden north to south. The northern part of Interior Sweden will get rammed with snow and Ice and it may be interesting to drive on those roads.When you look at the east coast of Sweden north to south thats where all the trucks run day and night north to south thats where the main populations live that road from Stockholm up to Ornskoldsvik Umea Lulea up to Ikea at Tornio at the Finnish border should be ok.Tornio up to the lovely city of Rovaniemi same thing trucks day and night keeping the roads open.For me the interesting part will begin north of Rovaniemi up to Kirkenes .Everything after that will be fingers crossed but again people live up there they have to go to the shops in the towns food has to be delivered even petrol and diesel .I will post alot of pictures have no fear.ON about pictures here are a few of a trip I did up there in 2013 in a Vauxhall Astra van it was early September it was beautiful, warm thru the day a little chilly overnight.

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/Other/North-of-the-Arctic-circle/

#8 · (Edited)
Hiya,Webby1
costs up to now
North Shields to Ijmuiden return with DFDS booked through the caravan and motorhome club was about £60 cheaper than booking direct. £280
Rostock Germany to Trelleborg Sweden return with Stena Line was booked direct as only a couple of quid cheaper than a price comparison website..£160

RAC euro recovery,I took the most expensive version which was about £150 that covers everything including parts labour up to £1000 I think.Hotels hire car Repatriation of the vehicle and me
.My van will probably use 8 tanks of diesel. for the trip.
Set of Snow Chains
Winter Tyres
Windscreen wash for -30 C.

#26 ·
RAC euro recovery,I took the most expensive version which was about £150 that covers everything including parts labour up to £1000 I think.Hotels hire car Repatriation of the vehicle and me.
Do Elaine n the dog gave to hitch hike?!
We would often talk with people about where they were going today and some would say "we don't know we'll just see how it goes"

Madness............I know where we are going,how long it will take and have probably done a Google street view of the approach to the campsite.

But other than that I'm fairly flexible
I can tell webby!
Agreed G, I try and get all my ducks in line well before the off. I'm then prepared for the inevitable change or alteration at the last minute.

Ray.
Ah, but if you've nothing pre-planned in detail there's nothing to be changed at the last minute Ray!

#10 · (Edited)
Afternoon Jiwawa,
At this moment I am 65 years old ,time fly's by these days my knee's ache after a long walk I get tired more than I used to .I love travel ,and whilst I am still able I am going to travel far and wide and that Sprinter van is going to earn it's keep.
The Vauxhall Astravan trip was 2013.which seems like a lifetime ago.

#12 ·
Good morning ,Only four days to go to my adventure.Yesterday I went to the lock up to get the campervan on the way back home the dashboard told me Ad Blue Malfunction consult hand book.................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh if you run a Mercedes Sprinter you will know the rest but here goes plug in scanner read error code code Nox sensor bank one give me a few hundred quid .It is sorted now by Bell Trucks North east Mercedes fantastic people.
I added to my camera gear with a Insta360 action camera the picture quality is very very nice I nearly bought a GoPro and nearly got scammed .
Anyway the van is loaded up full of diesel, full of food, 10 gallons of water clothes etc took it to a weigh bridge and the it came out at 3 tons.Watch out for video's and photo's cya on the journey

#13 ·
Great thread so please do update.

My late father drove his MH up to the Arctic Circle when he was in his 70's. It's a trip of his that we plan to emulate some time although it will be when there is less snow I think.

Reactions: Webby1
#15 ·
Yes looking forward to the posts and pix.

This is one trip I'm really interested in reading about (oh yeah and doing myself)

Some people are trail blazers and some people just follow in the footsteps.
We would often talk with people about where they were going today and some would say "we don't know we'll just see how it goes"

Madness............I know where we are going,how long it will take and have probably done a Google street view of the approach to the campsite.

But other than that I'm fairly flexible

#16 ·
Peter

I'm with you but I have huge respect for those who have un/loose planned peregrinations.

My file - which is ready for printing nearly - for our trip to Spain in January, is now 38 pages long. I'll print it and put it in a folder in see through page holders. It'll contain all the details of the campsites; Reception opening times; copies of relevant emails; directions if needed; blurb and photos of the campsites; routes if needed; info about any local attractions if we are staying somewhere more than 1 night etc etc.

OTT but gives piece of mind and something for Mrs GMJ to read too.

#17 ·
Agreed G, I try and get all my ducks in line well before the off. I'm then prepared for the inevitable change or alteration at the last minute.
Bum bag has all necessary docs and info with a separate pocket for all booked stops printed out to flash at the right time.

We also have the Bip-N-Go toll tag but it's always a tense time at the first toll barrier after not using it for 11 months.

Ray.

#19 ·
Liz plans, I just go and see where we end up.

Re Dogslows trip, I am not certain but do they not require studded tyres up there in winter by law, best check for yourself.

#35 ·
Sounds like a very nice trip, Dogslow! I have been to Kirkenes and Nordkapp in mine - but that was during summer.

I know that it's quite popular to rent motorhomes in northern Norway during the winter to go hunting for the Northern Lights.

You should keep an eye on the weather forecast. If a snow storm is coming some of the roads may be temporarily closed. Or they drive in convoys. In convoys snow chains may be required.

Winter tyres are required, but they can be without studs. All Year tyres are OK if they have the snow symbol.

Morning Pudsy,
I have a friend who lives in Tromso Norway.Winter tyres are compulsory .My campervan does have winter tyres fitted and I have a set of snow chains.It is illegal to use studded tyres on roads without snow and ice.Common sense however says to me that if the conditions are that bad I may purchase some up there.
No you are allowed to use studded tyres on roads with no snow and ice. I live by the coast and the weather constantly changes. I can't change tyres every second day. 0:)

However studded tyres are illegal in other countries like Germany.

#20 ·
Morning Pudsy,
I have a friend who lives in Tromso Norway.Winter tyres are compulsory .My campervan does have winter tyres fitted and I have a set of snow chains.It is illegal to use studded tyres on roads without snow and ice.Common sense however says to me that if the conditions are that bad I may purchase some up there.

#21 ·
Ah, thanks I knew I'd seen, read or heard it somewhere, socks are useful and cheaper too instead of chains.

Not the best vid

#22 ·

#23 ·
I carry a set of those in my MH. very light and compact. Haven't had to use them yet but they are in the 'Just in case' category for me given the crap traction my MH has when on wet grass etc. We see snow when skirting the Pyrenees in winter going down to Spain.

Reactions: 242633
#24 ·
Good on grass and mud too I think.

#27 · (Edited)
Afternoon Jiwawa,
This is a solo trip for me.Elaine Spring and I will be heading to the south of France in April to catch some sunshine, we go to a nice site called Camp Du Dommaine ....... I even suggested for her to fly up and stay in a hotel for a few nights then fly home but its a no .This one is a solo trip.
I will be posting my photo's on my online album which is here

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/ARCTIC-ADVENTURE-NOVDEC2021

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.