Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - View Single Post - Help - How do you reverse an A-frame towed car?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 21:48 Thread Starter
HyFy

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
Help - How do you reverse an A-frame towed car?

Hi.

I have been motorhome-ing for a few years now and before that I used to tow a rather large boat around Europe and sail that whenever I met useable water! So I'm quite happy about towing things and reversing/manoeuvring when needed.

In order to "stay safer" I have invested in a Fiat 500 and an A-Frame. Tonight I took it down to the local industrial estate and vied with the motor cycle training schools to find a quiet bit of road to practice reversing by camera.

In a straight line there was no issue. I could get up a reasonable speed. BUT to reverse around a tight-ish corner became a big issue. As I rather expected the "negative" castering on the tow car took over and slammed into opposite lock with a fair bang. To try to reverse in a more gentle fashion needed a huge turning circle. Achievable but not really practical...

is there a trick to this manoeuvre?

Do you:
a) Flick it into adopting the correct but full castered lock before trying to turn it? or
b) Do you, when taking off the overrun brakes before starting the reverse, put on some lock in the right direction and then withdraw the key to set the steering lock and keep things in the right direction?
c) or what?

Any help would be most gratefully received as I don't like to be the "P...t who can't reverse his vehicle when the need arises.
I could get Sandra to drive the Fiat 500 away while I turned the motorhome but that doesn't seem very professional!!

Thanks

Geoffrey
The Following User Says Thank You to HyFy For This Useful Post:
Mrplodd (23-04-2021)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome