Motorhome Facts Forum banner

I'm doing a raynipper here...

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
Messed up my Honor 8x.

The other day it started to play up on me with the 3 key activated if I hovered anywhere near it (literally hovered, not even touching the screen - it would throw up umpteen 3's on the screen.) You can imagine how difficult texting was when the e is right below the 3.

SIL suggested removing the screen protector and that seemed to do the trick. However, I knew it was only a matter of time before the phone screen got banjaxed with no protection. So ordered 1 online and it was here very quickly. Fitted it this morning and, unlike any previous protector, it came with a tiny phial of UV glue to seal the edges when the phone has rounded edges n the screen protector overhangs.

I should have gone with my gut instinct that this wasn't a good idea. I've ended up with a screen that's 'see through' in the bottom corner with a radiating darkness out from there.

I did a very rapid backup in case the innards completely glued up but it turns out it's not much of a glue at all - more like water-thin oil. I don't suppose it'll do any good but it's resting in a bag of rice at the moment.

I'm lucky to have the Redmi as backup but what a faff getting it all up n running again, needing a micro insert to support the nano sim, getting WhatsApp going again as a minimum for keeping in touch with family. And the keyboard is TINY!

So I take back all my flippant comments Ray - I'm feeling the pain today!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Jean, I had to google your phone and it shows up pretty well here.........................

As the review says you can buy several in the event of loss or failure compared to the iPhone.

Ray.

#5 ·
If the sound is really good Baz, can you check which model it really is please? Not that my 'old' £55 Chinese phone has died yet but might want to see if the Honour is good with my ears.

Ray.

#9 ·
Thanks Baz. Can't see me paying £200 just yet on a whim. Possibly if I was surgically attached to my phone like so many people are it could be a good investment.
But as my use is limited and only carry the phone for emergencies and check the odd mail and WhatsApp message, it's not that essential........ Yet.

Generally I find as we have a 'free' house phone with good audio it get used nearly all the time. Mobile audio is never great with aids.
Plus using a PC with a 32" screen kinda spoils one chatting on Forums and Skype compared to any phone.

I guess I will stay a dinosaur.

Ray.

#12 ·
Thanks Baz. Can't see me paying £200 just yet on a whim. Possibly if I was surgically attached to my phone like so many people are it could be a good investment.
But as my use is limited and only carry the phone for emergencies and check the odd mail and WhatsApp message, it's not that essential........ Yet.

Generally I find as we have a 'free' house phone with good audio it get used nearly all the time. Mobile audio is never great with aids.
Plus using a PC with a 32" screen kinda spoils one chatting on Forums and Skype compared to any phone.

I guess I will stay a dinosaur.

Ray.
Honor 8a is less than £80 Ray. I agree with you though. I only use my phone for online stuff if I am out and about and dont have my laptop with me. They are always going to be limited by the small screen size no matter how much money you spend on one. A laptop or in your case a 32" Screen is always going to be better.

https://www.esdorado.com/gb/smartph...XM5usELpPIn7g-A6qeG0s9cdEGALogS8aAp1aEALw_wcB

#11 ·
Ha ha ha they are a con Jan. €3,500 for basically amplifiers. Most smart phones are far more complex at a fraction of that price. Including blue tooth and speakers.
Hearing aid sellers pray on old people. It's an absolute racket.

Ray.

#13 ·
You don´t need to tell me Ray, Hans refused to have private hearing aids, he was still trying various ones on the health service when he died.
It was the duty of the NHS when we were there to provide suitable hearing aids to everyone, they took over the care of his Mothers expensive private ones when that came into practice and another person we knew who was an organ maker and tuner also had the same hearing aids provided by the NHS that he had been paying privately for for years.

#15 ·
I must admit, I've been very pleased with the honor 8x. I paid £160 a couple of years ago for the 64GB version. That was to replace a Redmi that I'd dropped in the water. Although it spent a few days lying in rice I was afraid it would corrode internally n let me down when I least expected. That's the one I'm using now!

#17 ·
Bluddy mobile phones. Just today in Lidl's I get a call on the Chinese mobile. Quite loud but with all the background noise from the freezers, food chiller and the tannoy I found it impossible to hear the caller so I handed the phone to my wife who has brilliant hearing. It soon became clear she could not understand what the caller was on about and said to call again later.
Kinda defeats the point really.

Ray.

#18 ·
Well, the rice didn't make any difference but I decided I could live with the brightness/shading on the screen. Started using it again today but find it's printing loads of extra 3s again. So it looks like a new phone.

Has to be dual sim, with good battery life - and not cost a fortune. My SIL tells me all modern Huaweis no longer run Google Playstore courtesy of the American embargo. I would want Playstore.

As I say, I liked my Honor 8x. Any personal experience with a good alternative?

#19 ·
Just type in Dual SIM on e-bay and it will show plenty of them Jean. Not saying to buy from that site just see whats available. As mine was £55 and it's now two years old it owes me nothing and does everything I require.

Ray.

#20 ·
Yes, I can see loads Ray - I was just wondering if there were any personal recommendations. I'd want 4gb RAM n 64gb memory.

I was looking earlier at the redmi note 10. My previous phone was redmi n it was OK tho the 4gb ram is superior. I'd prefer an aluminium body but I guess since mine is always in a protective case that shouldn't matter too much.

#21 ·
No personal recommendations Jean as that could be dangerous but personal preferences.
As you say dual SIM and as much RAM and storage as possible. I like 6.5" and 4G as we have little 5G. Good audio for me but the rest are much of a muchness unless you know about chip speed and screen quality.
I usually go for the most bang for my buck and last years model.

Ray.

#22 ·
I thought my honor 8x had got over its blip but this morning when texting my son the 3s went on the rampage - loads of 3s flying across the screen and my hands nowhere near! The strange thing is, if I was to hold any key it would just give me 1 of the characters showing above the letter - there's no way I could get a run of 3s without pressing each one individually - and that would have been a lot slower than they were appearing on their own! Gremlins!

Anyway, I've now ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 (not pro or lite... just plain 10). 4GB RAM n 128GB memory, dual sim and a dedicated slot for an SD card. My last phone was a Xiaomi and I seem to remember it was fine. Certainly it's still working after having been dropped in water a couple of years ago. I'd changed it cos my son said although his phone had worked after being given a bath it started playing up after a few weeks n he put it down to internal corrosion. I didn't want mine to give up the ghost in the middle of my travels.

£199 from Amazon n will be here on Tue. I expect the air to be blue on Tue as I try to set up the new phone.

I'm assuming that if I do a backup via the Huawei then I would be able to transfer that to a new Huawei only? It would be lovely if I'm wrong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.