Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Cab blinds

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ozzyjohn 
#1 ·
I want to get blinds for the cab, Ducato X244, as the curtains are awkward to use and flimsy.
Being new to this, I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether internal or external are preferable. From my initial research it seems that there are very few available for my Ducato but plenty for the X250 and I wonder just how much difference there is.

#2 ·
Hi,

I’ve used both types on different Mohos in the past.

Internals have the advantage that they can be deployed without going outside. A well fitted set looks very neat. Whilst they help a bit with preventing condensation, the glass remains cold - so as soon as you open them the windows are likely to mist up if they are not really well ventilated.

Externals are, in my experience, more effective at both keeping unwanted heat or cold out and maintaining warmth in the Moho during cold spells. The down sides are that you have to go outside to fit and remove them, and they can be a bit bulky to store (especially when wet).

Externals are much better when the weather is sub zero.

Sorry, can’t help with the X244/X250 compatibility question.

Regards,
john

#3 ·
I would agree with John

I have both internal and external blinds and have fitted proper weight curtains to every window, including the cab

The curtains definitely help with condensation and I could see no sense to those flimsy bits of material that pass for curtains in most vans

The outside silver blinds we use against heat as we rarely travel in very low temps, but if you do then they are certainly going to be more effective than internal blinds at insulation

Sandra

#4 ·
I only have the inside blinds, the Side windows are a bit fiddly and you have to be careful closing and opening them.

I also have a top to toe curtain between the cab and habitation area that I wouldn't be without, it keeps all the heat in the hab area and keeps the cold and sun heat from coming in from the cab area. The curtain is fixed with press studs and is put away under a seat when not in use.

#5 ·
As you are in Spain I suggest that external thermals will really help keep you cooler.

Terry

Reactions: Ozzyjohn
#6 ·
If you're a wildcamper, you probably won't want to deploy external screens in case you need to make a rapid exit.

I have internal pleated screens that pull across the A-class window but I also use a home-made thermal curtain across that area that is held in place with velcro on the front-facing edge of the drop-down bed. It's not the easiest to put in place but it IS very effective against both heat and cold.

#9 ·
Thanks for your input.
Seems like external is the way to go.

Most of our travels will be southern Europe, at least initially, and the present Mrs R prefers sites to the idea of wild camping.
My 'present' Mrs feels the same way, although you've triggered thoughts of trading her in for a 'wilder' model. 😄

Problem being .... who else would put up with me. 🙂

Terry

#8 ·
I agree

If on sites , brilliant

Keep out the heat or keep it in

Curtains are worth looking at

But I couldn’t find a photo of ours to show you

We have never worried about security as we have the hound from hell

Our worry is ensuring he can’t reach anyone approaching the MH

Outside it he is a baby

A gentle giant

Inside a hound from hell

Sandra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.