Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Apple MacBook Pro 13.

4K views 103 replies 10 participants last post by  aldra 
#1 ·
I´ll keep you all busy :grin2:

Before I commit myself to one of these I hope someone will answer my question.

One reason I would like one is to take it in the van, there are so many 12v chargers to choose from, can anyone recommend one to me please.

No I don´t want another make before anyone suggests it thank you. :laugh:

#3 ·
I´m not being flashy Ted, I don´t treat myself very often, in fact before the Navi I can´t remember anything until the desktop which was probably 4 years ago.

I was told if I needed something make sure its something that will last, this will last me out I´m sure.:laugh:

#4 ·
Ideally you need to find someone who has managed to locate and test a charger with the macbook air 13".

I found this one but beware, there are a fair few cheeper ones on the market that in the small print are for the older machines.

https://www.power4laptops.co.uk/p/a...K0tk_9Obcf7skqfZepEaAuIHEALw_wcB#.Xy_gYyhKi00

Not cheap but if it does the job safely. I wonder if its worth calling your local Apple store. I couldnt find one on the apple site though. I bet the official line is Apple dont support 12v chargers with their laptop products.

I would steer clear of inverters though unless its a pure sine wave type. However I guess if it blew up it would be under warranty.

#9 ·
OK time to move on

At 4am I asked myself why do you need a MacBook when you have the Apple iMac and my answer was "I don´t"

I think it is the main computer for most people who have the MacBook or they are people who go away for months on end and need it for things I don´t need one for.

So for a third of the price, something that quite a few of you seem to have, an iPad. Is that better Ted, not so swanky >:)

I will be asking questions today no doubt, nobody around here to consult, I don´t know who might be interested in such things and I am not going to drive 55km or more to a shop. So be warned.

#10 ·
If it has a mains charger, why not just plug it into the inverter in the van, assuming you have an inverter of course, I'd imagine Hans would have fitted one.

#11 ·
I´ve moved down a peg Kev to an iPad.
Can´t go fiddling about with an inverter which we have, but have never used. I have plenty of sockets to use and I think an iPad will be like the Kindle to charge,

#12 ·
I wouldnt plug a laptop into an inverter unless it was a pure sine wave one, even then I would be wary. Ipad seems a better idea although you could also consider a 2 in 1 laptop like the Hp Envy x360 which scores quite highly here. https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/best-2-in-1-laptops. These are laptops and tablets all in one.

Still £800 though.

If you like tablets (I dont) the iPads do seem very popular.

#18 ·
Bluddy cheek. Dislike.!!!!!! Dislike.!!!!

If I wasn't tied to saving my PCs I would be dragged out to do some gardening. Well bugger that in 34c. Each to his own. And there I was gonna give you one of my 2020 TomToms.

Ray.

#22 ·
I guess you will be getting an iPad then :D

Only you can decide what you want, I was simply trying to show you the alternatives. If you get good support from Apple and I have heard its very good then go for it. you cant go too far wrong with an ipad anyway.

#24 ·
Im sick of computers today. Always without fail when we are planning a trip, a day or two before something blows a gasket. Today it was Mrs D's Laptop. She asked me to change the battery on it (Way too late to order a new one) so I swapped it for an old spare. Anyway long story short it wouldnt boot up. Blue screen of death "no boot device". Three hours later and several choice swear words it turns out the CMOS battery inside is dead and when you remove the main battery the BIOS changes the boot disk settings and the entire thing is fubared. Fixed it now though but it was looking like a new laptop three hours ago which would have completely knackered the trip. Every year its the bloody same. Im not answering the phone tomorrow.

#25 · (Edited)
Im sick of computers today. Always without fail when we are planning a trip, a day or two before something blows a gasket. Today it was Mrs D's Laptop. She asked me to change the battery on it (Way too late to order a new one) so I swapped it for an old spare. Anyway long story short it wouldnt boot up. Blue screen of death "no boot device". Three hours later and several choice swear words it turns out the CMOS battery inside is dead and when you remove the main battery the BIOS changes the boot disk settings and the entire thing is fubared. Fixed it now though but it was looking like a new laptop three hours ago which would have completely knackered the trip. Every year its the bloody same. Im not answering the phone tomorrow.
This norf country langwidge is so peculiar, I had to read that twice to understand what you meant,
Not that the laptop now looks like new, but 3 hours ago you thought you would have to fork out for a new laptop, am I right?

Oh forgot to say, I haven´t been looking today on account of being busy doing other things like lopping trees, the root thing didn´t work with mower nor Forester so its up to a tractor.

#30 · (Edited)
I did mention a stand Jean when answering Barry, I said I was sure there must be one and Tugs has shown me his :grin2: sorry I can´t help it.

I have found on Amazon =

1, iPad Air 664.54 € 2.

Bluetooth keyboard and case. 129.69€ Logitech Combo keyboard and case

My calculator tells me that comes to 794.23€ Not cheap.

I know you have all sorts of places in the UK to buy these things cheaper but
A I am not in the UK, B I don´t want to get one from there because if there is anything wrong I don´t want the hassle of sending it back there.

C I am not happy to travel miles and visit different shops to find something cheaper so I will go to my usual supplier these days, Mr Amazon and they will be here tomorrow if I order today.
Next thing it will need a Magic Mouse that also works with blue tooth, price is going up.

Looking for that next.

#32 ·
Is it this one Jan? https://www.amazon.de/Apple-iPad-Ai...rds=Apple+iPad+Air&qid=1597145774&sr=8-4&th=1

Looks a good spec. They seem to jump from 64gb to 256gb though with nothing in between. I would have thought a 128gb would be enough if you are not going to store much on it.

I think the one you are looking at is an iPad air though not the standard iPad like this one. https://www.amazon.de/Neues-Apple-i...940&sprefix=Apple+iPad+Air+128,aps,158&sr=8-4

This article explains the differences.

https://www.macworld.com/article/34...he 10.2-inch iPad contains,A10 is a fine chip.

#33 ·
My son Alan said the air so I just followed instructions 😁 he also said 128gb but there isn't one. I will read all of that when I go in the house later, I am in my cool den at the moment fixing curtains, but it seems to say if you can pay the extra the air is the superior.

#35 ·
I have just read the article,
it´s good for downloading stuff, once I know how I can load films onto an external drive I could then watch them on an ordinary cheaper one with 128 gb couldn´t I?
The face time picture is also not a priority, I´m sure people will still look the same to me.
The battery time doesn't seem to be terribly different. The chap who was reviewing it sounded as if he was a rambler because he was talking about the weight for his backpack, I don´t think the weight would make a lot of difference for me, I´m not likely to carry it around with me, the phone is enough to remember.
I seem to be talking my self out of this expensive iPad, good job I only put it into the basket 0:)

Anyway this is what I have done this afternoon, they were made for the kitchen 13 years ago, but we didn´t like them there and they have been upstair in a draw since then, they will at least keep the late afternoon glare out of my den.

Attachments

#42 ·
Anyway this is what I have done this afternoon, they were made for the kitchen 13 years ago, but we didn´t like them there and they have been upstair in a draw since then, they will at least keep the late afternoon glare out of my den.
If you put thermal blackout linings behind those you'll feel a big difference Jan.

Longer delivery than typical prime items.
Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.
FREE Delivery Sep 5 - Oct 6 for Prime members
I wonder is that to do with the America/China/Huawei standoff?

#36 · (Edited)
OK he says get the cheaper one, he thought the air had a bigger screen.

So price is going down a couple of hundred.
And the keyboard is with magic mouse so thats another saving :laugh:
What a good job I haven´t ordered anything yet.

iPad 435.90€

Keyboard with mouse. 55.99€

I could order now and they will be here in the morning, who thinks I should take the plunge and stop worrying you.?

Oh no, read it all delivery time. that hits that one on the head then.

Longer delivery than typical prime items.
Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.
FREE Delivery Sep 5 - Oct 6 for Prime members

#38 ·
I forgot to mention to check delivery times. Its been a total nightmare here in the UK but has improved. You need to watch the "Delivery from" dates and go for something in stock and in country with guaranteed dates.

The standard iPad will be totally fine for what you want. The alternative is to look at an Android Tablet like the Samsungs I guess. Review of the best ones and the iPads here https://www.t3.com/features/best-tablet. You like Apple though so you maybe should stick with that. Android I think has a lot more free apps than Apple but if you have an Apple PC then you really ought to have an Apple tablet. Just get it bought woman!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.