Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Base Chassis (Fiat/Mercedes/Iveco etc) (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/31-base-chassis-fiat-mercedes-iveco-etc/)
-   -   fiat ducato, peugeot boxer headlight protector brackets (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/31-base-chassis-fiat-mercedes-iveco-etc/82241-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-headlight-protector-brackets.html)

alicksuwd 13-03-2011 09:52

fiat ducato, peugeot boxer headlight protector brackets

i've just been up in the dales for a week in my Elddis 155 (BoxerIII) and had a great time especialy as the weather was so good Mon/Tue.

Went to various sites in the area and covered a few miles, when i arrived at the CCC site at Blackmore i discovered that one of my headlight protectors was missing. Bummer!.

We retraced our steps back up to the Car and Fiddle and lo and behold under one of the picnic tables with a few minor scratches (should polish out) was the protector, Hooray!

The question is does any one have any spare clips for the retention of these protectors (one plastic is broken and the top metal one is a home made effort), or have any ideas where i can get some from?

One a different note, who knows the cheapest place to get a Gaslow filler cap from?

Much thanks in advance.

Mrplodd 13-03-2011 21:54

Ebay !!!

Why bother with protectors ?? they are made of polycarbonate the same as (most) headlights. Polycarbonate is not brittle like glass and is highly unlikely to suffer damage if struck by a stone. Then there is the problem of cleaning between the headlamp lens and the protector.

Pointless bit of bling in my humble opinion (and expensive,) Has anyone here suffered a broken polycarbonate headlight lens ???

Replacement Gaslow filler caps are about 13 quid, :o even off ebay !!

trevd01 13-03-2011 23:24

I too have lost a top clip from my headlamp protector (used when abroad -I bought them as the easiest way to deflect the beams on an X250).

Mine are marked Peugeot BTW.

I have made a fastening out of a couple of very small cable ties. Works OK but I would prefer to replace the clip (which is very thin steel bent into a complex shape).

You can see on this picture the cable tie does the job, but lifts the plastic panel above the light slightly.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9.../IMG_0949a.jpg

This is one with the proper clip, which does not lift the panel: much neater.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9.../IMG_0951a.jpg

peribro 13-03-2011 23:48

I guess if headlight protectors are deemed necessary then front grill protectors and bonnet protectors will also be required. What about windscreen protectors as well? I'm probably tempting fate by saying this but in the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven I cannot recall ever having had a damaged headlight. Lots of replacement windscreens, millions of dead flies and a multitude of stone chippings on bonnets - but headlamps in tact! I agree with Mr Plodd's sentiments.

Addie 13-03-2011 23:58

You ask for help and you get a load people venting their views on how pointless they are - way to go MHF! :roll:

For anyone doing a lot of miles in Europe, headlamp protectors are a great way of fitting beam deflectors without having to spend ages removing the gunk that comes with fitting them direct to the headlamps. Also black tape can be used as the area to mask off is clearly marked.

I've got a pair, I wouldn't pay £40+ for them but I got them off here for £20. I can't imagine that you could buy the clips on their own though :(

I opted for a black plastic front bumper and am tempted by a 'Bonnet Bra'! :P

LPG Filler Cap - £3 delivered:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130488223285

odipar 14-03-2011 08:37

Try approaching your friendly local Peugeot/Fiat service manager and ask him if he can source the clips for you
I am sure that MHF is the place for friendly advice and support and not a forum for criticism about a request
Cheers
MGA Coupe

Fiffa 14-03-2011 09:35

Try www.fourdrive.co.uk @ Holbeach Nr Spalding 01406540099 they are suppliers of headlight protectors

Zebedee 14-03-2011 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie
You ask for help and you get a load people venting their views on how pointless they are - way to go MHF! :roll:

:roll:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie
For anyone doing a lot of miles in Europe, headlamp protectors are a great way of fitting beam deflectors without having to spend ages removing the gunk that comes with fitting them direct to the headlamps. Also black tape can be used as the area to mask off is clearly marked.

Plus (although I've never been daft enough to put it to the test) it is reported that sticking deflectors or patches directly onto polycarbonate headlamp "glass" may craze and crack it due to excessive heat absorption and/or the action of the glue.

Last time I looked the headlamps were over £350 each . . . before fitting! 8O 8O

There is also the legal question of dazzling oncoming foreign motorists, and I would bet next month's pension that those who don't have the guide marks on their protectors are sticking their deflectors in the wrong place. (Stroppy Gendarmes enter the scenario here!)

The marked positions are nowhere near where you would expect them to be, but they are correct 'cos I have checked the beams against the garage door.

Hope this helps those who may be pondering? :wink:

Dave

inkey-2008 14-03-2011 10:20

Yes Zebedee if you put beam deflectors straight on to the polycarbonate len they craze it. I have found to my cost on a Transit.

I have have 4 head lamps over the years with holes and cracks due to stones etc, so I am in favour of the protectors much cheaper than a new headlamp assembly and the ease of nowing wear to put the deflectors.

(You do not need to remove the deflectors for an MOT.)

Andy

Zebedee 14-03-2011 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkey-2008
Yes Zebedee if you put beam deflectors straight on to the polycarbonate len they craze it. I have found to my cost on a Transit.

I have have 4 head lamps over the years with holes and cracks due to stones etc, so I am in favour of the protectors much cheaper than a new headlamp assembly and the ease of nowing wear to put the deflectors.

(You do not need to remove the deflectors for an MOT.)

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I think your experiences alone should be enough to reassure hesitant members that protectors may be considered a good investment.

I have never had damage to a headlamp on the van, but have had two smashed on cars, both due to stones falling off approaching lorries. (Plus a big stone lodged in the hole it made in the housing of the door mirror on the car - only a few months ago!)

Dave

P.S. Alicksuwd - my protectors were made in Australia. Do a bit of Googling to identify them, and you may find the manufacturers are more easily able to supply the bits than our local distributors. They may well send you a couple of clips without a problem. :wink: