Hank the Tank is in trouble! - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 21:01

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
They sound right Baz. Good luck with it.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 22:12

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Your garage sounds EXACTLY like what so many posters have been saying, a decent mechanic who wants to solve problems not replace everything in sight and a lot that's not....

Hopefully they will come back with a reasonable price, you have GOTbto hoveith it, as I typed about you checking things my tongue was in the roof of my mouth about how that would / could turn out........

I am not doing what Alan did, but I am conscious that your skill set is with computers, not spanners and welding gear.........
erneboy and barryd like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #23 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 22:36 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Your garage sounds EXACTLY like what so many posters have been saying, a decent mechanic who wants to solve problems not replace everything in sight and a lot that's not....

Hopefully they will come back with a reasonable price, you have GOTbto hoveith it, as I typed about you checking things my tongue was in the roof of my mouth about how that would / could turn out........

I am not doing what Alan did, but I am conscious that your skill set is with computers, not spanners and welding gear.........
Never bothered to learn mechanics. I Can (well used to be able to) change a wheel, check oil and water but thats about it. When I was a kid my best mate was a mechanic and even had his own welding gear so he patched up all our cars while we sat around drinking beer. After that I just took it to the garage.
fdhadi and Penquin like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #24 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 23:02

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Thatís what I call tit for tat or is it [email protected]

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #25 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 01:16

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place , the van is only worth scrap value at the minute so you have to get it repaired and get that MOT , When you do , get it sold, don't be tempted to leave it a while as it will only get worse. Get a newer van and enjoy some 'peace of mind ' holidays again. That's my advice for what it's worth.

G
post #26 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 09:56 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchibald View Post
You're stuck between a rock and a hard place , the van is only worth scrap value at the minute so you have to get it repaired and get that MOT , When you do , get it sold, don't be tempted to leave it a while as it will only get worse. Get a newer van and enjoy some 'peace of mind ' holidays again. That's my advice for what it's worth.
I suppose it depends how bad it is Alan. Until I hear back from the garage I wont know. It could be that its repairable to a condition that will last years or it could be as you say. Getting a newer van has proved almost impossible over the last few years and even more difficult now as there are only a couple of models that tick the boxes and now they are even rarer but I think if I sell we will maybe do one last trip in Spring then sell it and just wait until the right van comes along which probably wont be this year.
Gretchibald likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #27 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 10:06
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I guess you'll know more when your man gets up into the work and can then give you an honest assessment of whether its going to be trouble in the future or not.

Good luck to you Barry, I hope it works out OK.
Penquin and barryd like this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #28 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 19:24

Personal Aire
Any news ?

Hopefully, you have had a chance to discuss the implications of the work needed, do let us all know, please 🙃

post #29 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 19:49 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Any news ?

Hopefully, you have had a chance to discuss the implications of the work needed, do let us all know, please 🙃
Well yes and no. I called the garage in the end about 11:30 this morning but I only got to speak to the main mechanic in the mechanics side of the business. All he could tell me is that its pretty bad and that Matty the owner who runs the body shop would look at it later today but they have been very busy and they would call me. No call so far. He said he thinks it might be so bad they wont take it on probably because of storage space and time issues.

Not the news I wanted to hear and it concerns me as it probably means trying to get a second opinion and / or finding someone else to do the work that has the space and time if the work is even justifiable. Its a bit of a shock that its just possible that a van I thought was maybe worth £10k (or who knows in this market) could now just be scrap value and probably worthless.

I started looking at vans on autotrader today and that just pissed me off even more. Hardly any and the prices are way up.

post #30 of 174 (permalink) Old 24-03-2021, 19:57

Personal Aire
Oh he ll that is not what any of us wanted to hear. Until the boss gets back to you there is zilch that's our can do, other than look around at anyone else that MIGHT be able to tackle it, but it does need expertise to ensure it reaches the safe standard.

Certainly thinking of you and hoping that Hank can be given the tlc that is obviously needed, at a price that makes it feasible.

If it comes to the very unpleasant decision to scrap Hank, do make sure that you strip everything off that you might be able to sell via eBay - it may be that you could sell it entirely "for spares" as the engine has been OK up till now hasn't it ?
erneboy and barryd like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page