Hank the Tank is in trouble! - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:23

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
You canít really do much at all until you get some idea of cost from your garage.

One thing is for certain, and thatís the cost of repair will be vastly less than the cost of replacing Hank! Done properly a repair to the rusted parts will be all thatís required. I recall spending many hours underneath Angliaís and such like welding in patches around spring mounting points etc. Itís not difficult, you just have to find where the nearest point of decent metal is (you canít weld rust!)

I think you need to have a sit down with the garage once you get an idea of cost and see if there is anything you can do to lessen the bill somewhat (sorting the lights etc). I would be inclined to think that the imbalance of the brakes probably just requires a bit of ďenthusiasticĒ use to get rid of the inevitable rust etc that has built up due to them not being used.

It might be worth suggesting that you are prepared to leave hank with them so they can do bits and pieces as and when they have a spare hour or two rather than them blitzing all in one go?

I am sure all will get sorted, you might be surprised at how little it will cost.
erneboy, Penquin and barryd like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:25

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Find another MOT station and see if it's any less. If not bite the bullet. I managed to change the battery shelf and rusty front cross member on my Hobby at 74 Baz. Get the tools out and get dirty.

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:25
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I've missed you boys
erneboy likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:31

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Spadge chuggler.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:48

My Motorhome: Carthago
Rusty bits and pieces a dirty shitty job but easily doable by someone with knowledge and proper equipment.
Excessively binding brakes WILL NOT BE CURED with some enthusiastic driving, it will be caused by rusted / corroded caliper pistons on front and rusted / corroded cylinder pistons on rears, replacement brake parts are not excessively expensive and normally available.

Obviously can't actually help owing to the few hundred miles that separate us but find someone with the knowledge, experience, equipment and inclination and then it's a basic old fashioned problem, just not a very appetizing job.

There must be someone oop North to help you out just not main agent type companies or fly by night dreamers.
erneboy, Penquin, barryd and 1 others like this.

John
post #16 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 17:50

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
Rusty bits and pieces a dirty shitty job but easily doable by someone with knowledge and proper equipment.
Excessively binding brakes WILL NOT BE CURED with some enthusiastic driving, it will be caused by rusted / corroded caliper pistons on front and rusted / corroded cylinder pistons on rears, replacement brake parts are not excessively expensive and normally available.

Obviously can't actually help owing to the few hundred miles that separate us but find someone with the knowledge, experience, equipment and inclination and then it's a basic old fashioned problem, just not a very appetizing job.

There must be someone oop North to help you out just not main agent type companies or fly by night dreamers.
See Baz, what he said!
raynipper likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #17 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 18:08

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
And Baz is off playing games. ................................. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #18 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 19:02

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
AFAIK it is perfectly legal to drive it TO and FROM a prearranged MoT appointment, if necessary to get a second opinion that may be what you have to do.

If you trust the place where it's at, ask for a written quote, not an estimate, and then duscuss if you can cut it by eg doing the lights and the battery security yourself.

You really need their expertise for welding, a time served mechanics job, but you don't need to pay for the Receptionist's coiffure or even the "complimentary" coffee. We had similar problems with our brakes, sorted here in France, but the overall bill was not cheap as I think they replaced everything from the rubber down, it included slave cylinders (two ?), master cylinder, and some discs, it had only done a few hundred miles that year......

Note to self; get MrsW to take ours for a drive (my licence is still with the French authorities so no driving for me for the foreseeable future).
barryd likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #19 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 19:09

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Oi stop all this bad mouthing of Bodgers. They were in fact craftsmen. From Wikipedia: "Bodging is a traditional woodturning craft, using green wood to make chair legs and other cylindrical parts of chairs. The work was done close to where a tree was felled. The itinerant craftsman who made the chair legs was known as a bodger or chair-bodger".
erneboy, Penquin and raynipper like this.

Dave.
post #20 of 174 (permalink) Old 23-03-2021, 19:39 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
Personal Aire
Cheers

This is not a posh fancy garage. Its just an honest mechanics with two units down a side street in Darlington. I think their Labour rate is about £40 an hour so not hugely expensive. Matty welded an industrial size towing eye to the front of the van once and I dont think he even charged me for it. He made a new section and an aluminium weld when I knackered the scooter rack for about £20 I think. So we are not talking main dealer prices or top end labour rates. They do have a good rep as a body shop though. Ive also put a fair bit of work their way for probably getting on 30 years so you would think that would stand for something.

Still not heard anything which is a bit ominous. They dont normally like having the van long as they like most places struggle with space so I surprised they have not got back to me. Ill give it until midday tomorrow and call them.

Forget me doing anything to it. Out of the question not just because of my Arthritis but if it hasnt got a keyboard and a screen or strings its all alien to me. Ill just make it worse. The failure for the rear light is probably the trailer board on the scooter rack. I literally crashed the scooter into it on the drive.
eurajohn, Glandwr, erneboy and 2 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Glandwr (23-03-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page