Hank the Tank is in trouble! - Page 14 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 12:54

My Motorhome: Carthago
Definitely go shake the man's hand.
Get looking for a replacement and make your plans for when you can get back over here.

barryd, raynipper and JanHank like this.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 13:03 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,015 Posts
Personal Aire
Michelle is not keen. She thinks its worth more. To be honest I agree with the above. Its a good opportunity, he knows whats up with it and is more than capable of dealing with it all. I just cant bear the thought of entertaining a load of tyre kickers and all the dross that will come out of the woodwork, scams etc. At the end of the day £7000-£8000 or whatever dont make a hill of beans of difference. The van owes me nothing really. The biggest disappointment for Michelle mainly is there will be no trip in it this year.
erneboy likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #133 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 13:14

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Michelle is not keen. She thinks its worth more. To be honest I agree with the above. Its a good opportunity, he knows whats up with it and is more than capable of dealing with it all. I just cant bear the thought of entertaining a load of tyre kickers and all the dross that will come out of the woodwork, scams etc. At the end of the day £7000-£8000 or whatever dont make a hill of beans of difference. The van owes me nothing really. The biggest disappointment for Michelle mainly is there will be no trip in it this year.
Is this offer for as it is Barry? If it is I would definitely take it , you don´t know what else might be found after you've paid thousands to make it sailable saleable.
Howsomever in the end the choice is a combined answer, I should imagine you have a few days to talk to each other about it before making any decision.
barryd likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

post #134 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 13:18

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Personally I'd snatch his hand off – even if you get it repaired and up to MOT standard it's only going to need more repairs and maintenance within a short space of time – that's what Motorhomes do ….

Perhaps get one of these and really get her juices flowing -

barryd likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #135 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 13:58 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Thanks. That deal is as it is Jan although i believe he has done a fair bit of the work. Its maybe a win win for everyone really. I get shot of the van but Im not left with a bill for £2-3k once everything is done and he has the skills to keep it on the road and make a good job of it and if he decides to sell he may even make a few quid or at least not lose. He knows all its faults also which includes how it starts up cold like its running on Dog Poo. Its always been like that and he suspects I think he said an oil leak into the Turbo. "dont quote me on that as I may have got that wrong". These are all things I am going to have to point out to a seller if I sell privately. I think its just going to be a case of talking Michelle round. The more I think about it the more it appeals to just wash my hands of it.

It will be a sad day though if we do and I am going to either have to buy another van or find a long term let somewhere for a break away. I started putting the feelers out on the latter but so far nothing. Michelle is desperate for a holiday.
raynipper and JanHank like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Last edited by barryd; 09-04-2021 at 14:01.
post #136 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 14:08

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
It’s potentially always going to be a money pit causing trouble and worry year on year. Time to put an end to it, putting personal attachment away is hard but take the offer and run, focus on a replacement. Unfortunately given foreign travel restrictions it’s a sellers market for good quality MHs.

Terry
barryd and raynipper like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #137 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 14:09

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I would have been happy to help him get his disabled badge Barry, I get Michelles peed off at the idea, but she's only a wimmin, seriously, it just makes much more sense, I think you may be losing a few bob, but piece of mind is worth a lot to someone like you.
post #138 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 14:41

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I am also in the SELL camp but with two caveats

1 Michelle needs to agree.

2 You might wait a while for your rear lounge (fixation I will call it)

On point one about Michelle thinking it is worth more, my comment to her would be that when a prospective buyer reads the recent MOT report he/she might be sceptical about how well the repairs have been done and why you are putting it on the market so soon afterwards, and therefore be making some tough negotiations at least down to and maybe below £10K. You have got a 'willing buyer' in your hands. How long before you find a buyer at the price she thinks it is worth - which is what? If she vetoes this chance to sell you need to get her agreement to pay any difference in price below £10K

On point two, it depends how long you are prepared to wait for what your long-term MH, with rear lounge, would take to find. Would you consider an alternative of looking for a good older MH with rear bed and garage as an interim with the idea that you could sell it after finding your ideal, or even 'god-forbid' actually liking it It would need to be a private buy and resell, to make sure you only lost £1-2K, if not make a profit.

An interim MH would let you get away while you are looking for something else.

An interim vehicle with a garage would make it easier to carry your new scooter(?) without fitting a rear rack and having to worry about rear-axle weights.

How long has the guy given you to decide?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mate, you know my phone number if you think I should take my comments and '......off'

Geoff
eurajohn and barryd like this.

Last edited by nicholsong; 09-04-2021 at 14:44.
post #139 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 15:12 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
I am also in the SELL camp but with two caveats

1 Michelle needs to agree.

2 You might wait a while for your rear lounge (fixation I will call it)

On point one about Michelle thinking it is worth more, my comment to her would be that when a prospective buyer reads the recent MOT report he/she might be sceptical about how well the repairs have been done and why you are putting it on the market so soon afterwards, and therefore be making some tough negotiations at least down to and maybe below £10K. You have got a 'willing buyer' in your hands. How long before you find a buyer at the price she thinks it is worth - which is what? If she vetoes this chance to sell you need to get her agreement to pay any difference in price below £10K

On point two, it depends how long you are prepared to wait for what your long-term MH, with rear lounge, would take to find. Would you consider an alternative of looking for a good older MH with rear bed and garage as an interim with the idea that you could sell it after finding your ideal, or even 'god-forbid' actually liking it It would need to be a private buy and resell, to make sure you only lost £1-2K, if not make a profit.

An interim MH would let you get away while you are looking for something else.

An interim vehicle with a garage would make it easier to carry your new scooter(?) without fitting a rear rack and having to worry about rear-axle weights.

How long has the guy given you to decide?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mate, you know my phone number if you think I should take my comments and '......off'

Geoff
Good points Captain. I think ill talk Michelle round. Ill never relax going far in it again although to be fair the guy said himself its not in bad nick and the work he is doing will be good for years but my worry about the repairs was the same. A prospective buyer may be wary and there are so many other issues. Time to let it go I think and let someone who knows what he is doing mechanically take it on. She said £8k but the other day was willing to take £7.5k. Im not going to quibble. Will wait and see if he comes back to me today or tomorrow.

I doubt we would get another van anytime soon though. On the wildies there is a thread about PVC's and PVC's built to your own design. You can get a new or nearly new Extra long wheel base transit or similar for £15-20k and they reckon £10-£15k to fit it out. Thats about £20k less than brand new Globecar. I just cant decide if a PVC would work for us. Ideally I want a Bailey Approach 760SE or a Swift Esprit 496 or similar as I know they tick all the boxes but they are few and far between and overpriced.

I dont like the idea of a scooter in the garage. Too much of a faff compared to a rack and as you know I prefer the layout we have but might look at something different.

post #140 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2021, 15:16

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Get an RV with a Hiab.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page