Fiat ducato 1993 2.5td engine swap - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By EJB
  • 2 Post By pagey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 14:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Fiat ducato 1993 2.5td engine swap

Hello,
So i have a first gen Fiat ducato with a 2.5td 70kw engine(code: 8140.27) engine. But I would like to know if I could fit a more powerful engine from a newer generation ducato: either 2.5tdi 85kw (code: 8140.47) or 2.8idtd 90kw (code: 8140.43). And my main question is if I could do that with the original 2.5td gearbox? Because if not then it is just too much of a hassle and probably not worth bothering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 17:40
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
I suggest you contact the experts on the Ducato forum:-

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/
erneboy likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 14:09

You can always consider some sort of chiptuning, changing air filters or adding a turbo if you care about it. From what I know, the Ducato hasn't changed that much, so it shouldn't be an issue to swap the engine. It would be the most simple solution.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 14:17

this has been discussed many times before although anything is possible this conversion will require the gearbox as well as modified driveshafts..chip tuning is not possible as the engine has a mechanical pump either live with it or change the van
eurajohn and erneboy like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 14:39

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamJones52 View Post
You can always consider some sort of chiptuning, changing air filters or adding a turbo if you care about it. From what I know, the Ducato hasn't changed that much, so it shouldn't be an issue to swap the engine. It would be the most simple solution.
I'm sure you posted your reply with best intentions, unfortunately you obviously do not have the necessary information to help the OP.

I think the later 2.5 td will go in without too much problem depending on years without a gearbox change.
Any of the 2.8 variations will need extensive works and extensive other parts, pagey's reply below has got it about right.

John
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 12:37 Thread Starter

I am asking because my 1993 camper has been burning a little bit of oil ever since I bought it, but now it's appetite is increasing and I need to do something about it.

And as I am concerned from your answers 2.8idtd conversion is not possible without gearbox adapter, or any extensive internal changes like discussed here: https://talbotoc.com/another-2-8td-e...ion-t8777.html

But there might be a possibility to fit in later 2.5tdi 85kw without a gearbox change, right?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 15:07 Thread Starter

And why exactly 2.8idtd isn't a possibility? Doesn't it fit the gearbox?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 21:45

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
There have been many changes and updates done through the years to the Sevel vans, more so on the gearbox than the motor.

Without knowing your mechanical capabilities or what workshop equipment you have available it's difficult to try to make precise recommendations.
Given enough ability and equipment it is possible to do just about any transplant, add to that there are reducing amounts of donor parts nowadays.

John
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-11-2020, 12:43

hi, we also have a 1993 Fiat Ducato Hymer 544, let me know the outcome as we could do with an extra power. Also does your vehicle have 14 inch wheels as we are looking for new 14 inch steel wheels and are struggling to find, many thanks, Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page