Front Brake Pad Change Fiat Ducato - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By shingi
  • 1 Post By dghr272
  • 1 Post By shingi
  • 1 Post By sheds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 12:59 Thread Starter

Front Brake Pad Change Fiat Ducato

I was wondering if anyone with the same base vehicle as mine (Fiat Ducato X250 2007 3.0L) has attempted a front brake pad change. I have googled to try to find decent resources to help me tackle the job but to no avail. The specific problem I am having is in removing the caliper. There appear to be 4 bolts. 2 are allen key bolts covered by rubber caps - easy to remove with an Allen key bit but not apparently the ones that hold the caliper in place. However the other two bolts have 13mm (edit: this could in fact be 14mm - I don't have a 14mm nut to test) recessed hex heads requiring a tool missing from my kit and from Halfords shelf - a 13mm (edit: or perhaps 14mm) hex bit (i.e. a large allen key bit). I guess I could make something with my welding kit and some 13mm nuts and bolts, but I am expecting these to be tight to remove without decent tools

Can anyone advise? I have done this job in the past on many cars and I have time but want to save the costs of fitting. My vehicle is too large for most garages and I have fallen out of love with my local garage as they serviced my vehicle and failed to notice the steering rack rubber gaiter was in shreds and needed urgent replacement.

Last edited by sheds; 21-09-2019 at 13:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 13:51

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Unless there’s something completely different about an X250 (as compared to my X244) you don’t need to remove the calliper to change the pads, unless you want to change the disc as well or something. Undo the two bolts under the rubber caps, but only remove the top bold completely, and the calliper will swing down to enable you to remove the pads.
sheds likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to shingi For This Useful Post:
sheds (21-09-2019)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 14:38

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Two bolts undo the Caliper from its housing leave brake pipe in situ. Don’t let calliper hang by pipe, secure with string, remove old pads, insert new a refit calliper

https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment...6&d=1323384613

Terry
sheds likes this.

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
sheds (21-09-2019)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 15:31 Thread Starter

Hi Shingi, I have tried to do that but the caliper does not budge. I have a document from a fiat forum that indicates that I need to undo the the bolts with the 14mm hex key heads to swing the caliper down. I enclose a diagram from the fiat forum which looks like an extract from a service manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiat diagram.jpg (44.8 KB, 28 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 15:32 Thread Starter

Hi Terry - after more hunting on this forum I found that diagram and some replies that indicated that a 14mm hex key bit was needed - so I have one on order - thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-09-2019, 15:46

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
I enclose a diagram from the fiat forum which looks like an extract from a service manual
Yep, you’re on the right track there sheds. Give it a squirt of WD40 whilst you’re waiting, and when you do the job, technically you’re supposed to put some locking compound on the thread during reinsertion. You can remove both bolts if it makes the job easier, especially if it’s a bit “crudded” up and makes it easier to clean out dust and dirt.
sheds likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to shingi For This Useful Post:
sheds (22-09-2019)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-04-2020, 16:18 Thread Starter

OK another job well on the way to being finished. With the nice weather that turned up for lockdown I managed to get the van fully supported and I was able to get the caliper assembly to swing free after undoing the two long thin hex bolts and slightly loosening the 14mm hex bolts. Still waiting for the correct pad retaining spring clips (there appear to be a couple of different sizes based on the disk thickness and I ordered the wrong ones) but looking good for a cheapish repair. Luckily the disks themselves are beautifully unscored so no need for expensive replacements.

If only we were going to Greece this year then I could take pleasure from having completed a few long awaited jobs!
shingi likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page