Ducato 2.8 5th Gear Ratio - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 3 Post By nicholsong
  • 1 Post By Sprinta
  • 1 Post By nicholsong

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 16:31 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Ducato 2.8 5th Gear Ratio

Hi I have googles this to death and tried to search the forum but can't find the answer.

We have a Hymer A class and I notice that 5th is like an overdrive ratio and if your tootling along at 60 it won't pull 5th uphill or into a strong headwind, you have to rev it quite hard in 4th before it will pull 5th.

I noticed on a very old post from 2016 that someone had changed the 5th gear to a lower ratio and I have been trying to find more information and part numbers etc

Can anyone point me in some directions to look please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 16:45

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Pretty sure a member called sprinta (on this forum) did it on his previous van, you'll find him on https://www.motorhomeowners.org/latest with name of BurtSner.

Griff097 likes this.

John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 16:58

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinta View Post
I just sold my 2003 2.8JTD yesterday, it was fitted with the long 5th gear - 2000rpm = 60mph

I experimented last year fitting the lower 5th gear option gears (very simple job) which then allowed 2000rpm = 50ish. This allowed top gear to be used all the time and not up and down at the slightest incline. It was very easy to tow a trailer.

If anyone is interested then I have the 2 gears available to sell if you want to do your own changeover as I changed it back before selling it.
He might still have them

The above was from this thread
https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/14...td-2005-a.html
Griff097 likes this.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 07-04-2019 at 17:01.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 19:16 Thread Starter

I had a look at that thanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 19:38

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff097 View Post
Hi I have googles this to death and tried to search the forum but can't find the answer.

We have a Hymer A class and I notice that 5th is like an overdrive ratio and if your tootling along at 60 it won't pull 5th uphill or into a strong headwind, you have to rev it quite hard in 4th before it will pull 5th.

I noticed on a very old post from 2016 that someone had changed the 5th gear to a lower ratio and I have been trying to find more information and part numbers etc

Can anyone point me in some directions to look please?

Hello

I was faced with the same problem.

I was aware of the possibility for the lower ratio 5th gear for the 2.8Jtd. You do not say which year your engine is since the position of the 5th gear changed from being external to internal.

I solved the problem in another way, by having the engine re-mapped, not just with a chip, but done to my requirements through the engine management.

If you decided to go for re-mapping as an alternative to changing the ratio of 5th, I would recommend two things about operating - firstly, which is actually applicable to 5th gear on any 2.8Jtd, is to wait till engine is up to operating temperature before changing to 5th, to ensure the spash lubrication is reaching 5th, secondly not running in 5th below 2200rpm, to avoid over-torquing the drive train including the clutch.

With those two caveats in mind I would say that after 25,000 miles the re-mapping is a good alternative.

Although I did not ask for better mpg it does seem to produce 1-2mpg better, because one can sustain 5th for longer.

Geoff
raynipper, BeeSea and Griff097 like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 21:36

Hi Griff, again, I thought I’d pop in here as well.

As discussed on MHO it appears you have the “up to” version gearbox, whereas mine was X244 of 2003. I can’t seem to access the Eper system to see what is possible on the early box.

I’ll agree that a remap, if it is suitable for your engine, would be of great help. I went from 130 to 160 and it was most useful towing motorbike trailer.

I have already sold the lower 5th gears on.

Perhaps a visit to a local Fiat agent may help, alternatively hop onto the Fiat forum and ask in the Ducato section
Griff097 likes this.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going I’ll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 23:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Hello

I was faced with the same problem.

I was aware of the possibility for the lower ratio 5th gear for the 2.8Jtd. You do not say which year your engine is since the position of the 5th gear changed from being external to internal.

I solved the problem in another way, by having the engine re-mapped, not just with a chip, but done to my requirements through the engine management.

If you decided to go for re-mapping as an alternative to changing the ratio of 5th, I would recommend two things about operating - firstly, which is actually applicable to 5th gear on any 2.8Jtd, is to wait till engine is up to operating temperature before changing to 5th, to ensure the spash lubrication is reaching 5th, secondly not running in 5th below 2200rpm, to avoid over-torquing the drive train including the clutch.

With those two caveats in mind I would say that after 25,000 miles the re-mapping is a good alternative.

Although I did not ask for better mpg it does seem to produce 1-2mpg better, because one can sustain 5th for longer.

Geoff
Where did you get your remap done Geof?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:57

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa 2002 on Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi
We had a similar problem when we had add-on cruise control fitted to our 2.8Hdi Peugeot based AutoSleeper Pollensa. On long drag inclines on motorways when in fifth, the revs would drop which sometimes caused the cruise control to drop out. I was able to overcome this by fitting a Tunit device, which when adjusted to a suitable setting on the 0-10 scale did the trick for most scenarios. It also has the advantage of being easily removable and refitted should you change vehicles.

www.tunit.co.uk

cheers
Roger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:23

We have that same engine but from around year 2000. Tell me what actually does remaping do, Can it be done on ours. I have pretty much learned to live with our 5th gear. The advantage of it is that cruising on the Autostrada at 110 to 120 on the flat is smooth and I think gas mileage would suffer with a lower gear ratio.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:34

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff097 View Post
Where did you get your remap done Geof?

Sorry bit slow on the draw this morning.

I used Boosters. I think the guy Alex is basically a one-man band, but he seems to have written good software, based on my MH results.

He is based in Norfolk but in our case he drove to Peterborough Services on A1 and did the job in the CP. It took about 30 mins. He understood exactly what I wanted to achieve and was instructed not to over-power the system.

May be wrong side of country for you.

Geoff
Griff097 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page