Ducato 5th gear modification - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 22:16 Thread Starter

Ducato 5th gear modification

We picked up new 696G in October and ran it in through France for a few weeks mainly on the motorways. One thing became clear and spoilt the whole experience was the inability of the 5th gear to pull all that weight at anytime other than on the flat with a following wind. All other times your screaming the engine in 4th gear!. On return to the UK I found out that there was quick simple modification to the 5th gear which has been design by Fiat for Ducato chassis with larger loads (i.e Motorhomes). It involves taking a plate off the rear of the gearbox and replacing two modified cogs (nothing else disturbed). The van was duly booked in at Chelstons new service centre and 350 later (Fiat warranty still intact) we have a totally different and pleasant driving experience. Once in 5th gear even fully laden it will stay there all day and no more changing up and down all the time. I was going to go for an electronic upgrade to the ECU but in my mind this is a far better upgrade. Slight increase on the RPM (About 3000 at 70MPH) but theres power left for a quick burst to overtake uphill even into the wind if needed on the motorway.
Questions I do ask however is....
1. If Fiat offer this modification to European manufacturers why dont they offer it in the UK
2. Burstner UK offer it as an option on their motorhomes over 3500kgs so why dont other UK manufacturers
3. Under the sale of Goods Act 1969 (as amended) is it 'fit for its purpose'?. I am currently rejecting my vehicle on this point, will let you know how I get on!!

PS - If you're getting this done ask for the two cogs they replace to keep yourself as may be useful if needed to repair or change back to original ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 00:02

Lower 5th Gear

Our Hymer B614 came with this lower 5th gear - it certainly makes for a better
driving experience i think.
We also specified the fiat cruise control, and combined with the lower top gear it sails up almost any hill on the motorway .

cheers

dave
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 00:09

My CI Mizar came with the revised ratios and drives extremely well - never changed down on any motorway yet. Similar RPM at 70 to friscan - 3000 which is what I cruise at.

Alan

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:13

Is there anyway that some of these MH's could be delivered with the modification.
Having purchased our Burstner 747 in May and weighing in at 5000Kg I feel she is under powered-ish but when in 5th on the motorway in cruise seems OK but I can't really say??

Is there anyway of knowing without strip the gear box or whatever

Many thanks
Hugh
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 Thread Starter

Hugh,
You dont need to strip your gearbox in any way, the modification is quick and simple by removing a plate on the gearbox and simply changing 2 5th gear cogs.
Regarding checking which ratio your gearbox has from memory at 70 MPH in 5th gear the rev counter was showing about 2300 RPM with the standard factory ratio. With the modification this rises to 3000 RPM at 70MPH. This should be a rough guide to check which ratio you have.

Cheers

Andy
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:28
duc

Hi,

under this link you can see the 5th gear:

http://forum.campingcar-infos.com/al...php?pic_id=265

changing the cogs :1 hours...:

Spare parts obtenable for 3 kind of demultiplication.

for info,

duc
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 18:34

Hi, I have the same problem with the 5th gear, but i don't think i would want to change the ratio's to increase the rev's by 25% this will surely have a marked increase in fuel consumption, as you can't get something for nothing ? also while the 5th gear is a pain in the neck, i would only suspect that on general touring the problem ? while very significant only really happens about 20 to 30 % of the time. Therefore the marked increase in fuel consumption by having the ratio's changed is in my opionion not worth it ?.

However i have been looking at the Chip Change ?? arrangement and i think if it can be done without invalidating the warranty that would be my prefered route. It appears that the 2.8JTD is offered in Europe with a 2 different outputs the higher output only seems to be available in Europe I wonder if it is possible to have this done in the UK, is it possible to have this upgrade applied hear ??

Brian
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 18:43

"You dont need to strip your gearbox in any way, the modification is quick and simple by removing a plate on the gearbox and simply changing 2 5th gear cogs.
Regarding checking which ratio your gearbox has from memory at 70 MPH in 5th gear the rev counter was showing about 2300 RPM with the standard factory ratio. With the modification this rises to 3000 RPM at 70MPH. This should be a rough guide to check which ratio you have."

I weas reading yesterday the other thread discussing fifth gear jumping out problems with the Ducatto. These seemed to boild down to excessive wear on parts of the fifth gear cog.

Could it be that those problems are linked to one or other gear ratio???

Harry

Above us only sky
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 20:54 Thread Starter

Hi Brian,
Re fuel consumption I have noticed no difference at all, in fact due to the engine not working half as hard I think there may be a slight increase in fuel consumption but I haven't yet tested that properly. Other owners report no difference to fuel consumption.
Andy
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 20:55 Thread Starter

Sorry, above should read "decrease in fuel consumption"...senior moment!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page