Motorhome Facts Forum banner

I just have to tell you.

2K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
This morning I telephoned our friends at the stables near Hanover, the first time I have spoken to them since Hans died, although we have been in touch by email.

Of course the subject of the Vitus came up and nobody in the area has had it.
I said I was afraid of being ill because what would happen to Motley if anything happened to me and the answer came back immediately, "we would come and fetch him".
It was as if a ton weight lifted from my shoulders, Motley loves it there, they all love Motley and I know he would be happy with them :grin2::grin2::laugh::laugh:
Thats 98% of my worry gone.

Another thing was, she didn't know who it was because I spoke in German to her to start with and after I said it was me she told me what I had said was perfect and that was why she didn't recognise my voice.
So today I will be preparing to leave sometime this week to see my friends.

#3 ·
What a lovely comment/compliment...…..' what I had said was perfect and that was why she didn't recognise my voice'
Give my love to Celle if you pass through....spent 5 years there so my grammar is very good but the words/meanings are a bit sparse to say the least.

#4 ·
Celle is not far away from them Ted. I have been doing this Babbel course in German and it drives me crazy because it is all grammar and every German I tell says "Grammar spielt keine Rolle" we will know what I mean if I say hat hatte hast or haben, you will learn by speaking and listening.

I am really excited now and can´t wait to get going, but some things to do first so it will be a few days before I am off.

#7 · (Edited)
I´m too old to get anything right Geoff and as long as I can be understood, at the moment that will do me and the people I speak to are very happy about it.

Der, die, das is a pain in the rear end.
Du and Sie are not as important as they used to be anymore, nobody bats an eye lid when I address them with Du.
der Mond die sonne das Fahrrat all mean the so I tell em, I´m gonna say everything is d if I can´t remember it >:)

I´m not entering any exams, or teaching a language, but I am improving every day.

By the way Geoff, how much Polish do you speak?

#10 ·
I´m too old to get anything right Geoff and as long as I can be understood, at the moment that will do me and the people I speak to are very happy about it.

Der, die, das is a pain in the rear end.
Du and Sie are not as important as they used to be anymore, nobody bats an eye lid when I address them with Du.
der Mond die sonne das Fahrrat all mean the so I tell em, I´m gonna say everything is d if I can´t remember it >:)

I´m not entering any exams, or teaching a language, but I am improving every day.

By the way Geoff, how much Polish do you speak?
Sorry, just seen your post.

Almost none, but then all around me speak English - Basia, Son and DiL downstairs(They lived in US), other Son in Australia(been working in English for 20 years) and Basia's Sister in Turkey(Lived in UK for 20 years.) I do not work and come into contact with few people who do not speak English, including 3 Doctors and one husband, who are our main social contacts.

Add to that the language has little relationship to Western/ Latin-based languages, even German.

So I am not sure where I would get practice without being a slow PITA to them.

Verstehst du?

Geoff

#11 ·
I’m still at the horsey place, it’s been a busy weekend with visiting riders, no hand shaking which must be very difficult because normally the Germans do a lot of that. No cuddles either, but otherwise it’s pretty relaxed everywhere. I think I said this area is like my area with very few cases and all survived. I have been offered the use of a car, I may take it up. I will probably stay another week before taking a long way home without the Autobahn stopping at a few places overnight.
I’m only in the van to sleep, the rest of the time with the family or walking, but walking is not too good, I think I have a trapped nerve and will be visiting the Chiropractor I have used here before some time in the week if it doesn’t improve.
The weather is super by the way.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
The last picture has fallen over, it’s my water filling arrangement for when I don’t want to move the van.

I am also fiddling withe the mobile, I have only tonight found the forum, it kept taking me to the old place. Hopefully I have saved it again.

Attachments

#14 ·
Looks lovely Jan. A few years ago we parked by a horsey place near Strasbourg. It was so interesting. Always something going on - either with the horses or the several caravans behind us, packed with people, possibly Turkish. They, and especially the children, were delightful.

#16 ·
I’m jealous, must be good to be out and about......enjoy.

Terry

Reactions: JanHank
#17 ·
At last I have thought of how to get my laptop and Kindle connected to the internet in the van, but I am not sure how expensive this Lidl SIM will be as so far it has only been used for text and the odd call.I
From the kindle in the van, I will now try the notebook.

#21 ·
I have Aldi talk on my iphone , but have no idea how to do that Barry. I did look on t'internet before I came but couldn't make head of take of it, I know the Kapitän does that when he is away. Yes I do have a Mifi and that's what I tried the Lidl in, one post it made them refused to do any more. The iPhone only uses the centre of the sim , I've got the other big bit with me in the van, I'm in the house at the moment on the Kindle using the house wifi.
LIDL in Germany used to do data cards. They were fairly priced. It's years since I had one so I can't remember what it was called or which network they used. You bought them at the checkout desk. You could ask as you check out. You needed a German bank account activate them and to top them up, but a friend did it for me through his.

I know there are good data deals to be had in Germany, some of my friends have them and they aren't expensive. I'll ask if you like Jan.
I have a Lidl SIM Alan, but it's not for data and I can't open my account to see how or even if I can change it, I have over 10€ on that card,:serious: and as I rarely make phone calls these days it will be wasted if I can't use it.

#20 ·
LIDL in Germany used to do data cards. They were fairly priced. It's years since I had one so I can't remember what it was called or which network they used. You bought them at the checkout desk. You could ask as you check out. You needed a German bank account activate them and to top them up, but a friend did it for me through his.

I know there are good data deals to be had in Germany, some of my friends have them and they aren't expensive. I'll ask if you like Jan.

#22 ·
Its dead easy to set up a wifi hot spot on your phone Jan. First though you need to know if you have a data plan on your Aldi Sim or what it costs per MB. I cant remember if yours is Pay as you go or contract. IF you are going to use it a lot you would be better on a contract with a monthly data allowance.

Some instructions here on how to set up a hot spot on an iphone. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

Once you have it set up you will see it as a wifi connection on your other devices like the kindle or laptop. Connect, put in the password and away you go.

#24 ·
Oh how simple 😁 I have a yearly package of 12gb ending in November, I still have 11.3 gb left. I'm now in the van on the Kindle and will connect the Samsung in a minute.

Unfortunately the Samsung takes ages to load, it tells me I am running short on space of words to that effect

#23 ·
I love those statements Baz. Away you go and thats all there is to it.

I have just reset my PC back to square one and can see a weeks work in front of me to get back all the progs and icons.

Ray.

Reactions: barryd
#25 ·
now I`m on the Samsung, although this is supposed to be fast internet and I have a full house on my internet sign it takes ages to get anywhere and probably when I hit the submit reply it will tell me I have no internet,

#26 ·
And it didn't - apparently!

I wonder is that 12GB the '3' internet-with-legs sim? It has 12GB that will last a year until it expires. I found that a good thing 2 or 3 years ago but now I use a bit more data (uploading photos etc) and now use a rolling monthly contract.

Although committing to a yearly contract is a bit cheaper (not hugely) I find this works well cos I can do with a £7/mth 4.5GB when I'm at home but pump it up to 10GB/mth when I'm away. £9 or 10 I think.

#27 ·
As I hardly use my own internet when I am away and never when at home I think what I have is fine, 50€ for the year, started last November and until this week I had only used a few mb from the 12 gb, If I run out I can top it up easily.

#30 ·
Tomorrow I am going to the Chiropractor I went to in 2003 when we were here for the first time, he did wonders for my back. After using the sit upon mower last week I have what he thinks is a trapped sciatic nerve, it's a buddy nuisance, walking is most uncomfortable which is a shame because there are lots of places to walk.
Otherwise I am fine and enjoying the company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.