Motorhome Facts Forum banner

A lovely time of the year

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
Although our movements are restricted nature carries on.
Here's some of the evidence I gathered yesterday walking through my village.

And here we are getting ready for Christmas :grin2:

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice place you got there Baz but you need to pick all those dandelion heads off before they seed.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank
#6 ·
Jan

Our magnolia has finished now. I know you are a bit further north but are you also higher? We are about 320(?)m altitude.

Baz

I was once in the river in May in the pool just above Greta Bridge - but only long enough to dive in and swim to the bank to get out. My cousin stayed in for 5 minutes but she was well 'covered' so a bit more insulation. Never again for me.

The rowers at Durham University were rowing in Feb below our college and having to dodge the ice floes. - madness.

Geoff

#8 ·
Jan

Our magnolia has finished now. I know you are a bit further north but are you also higher? We are about 320(?)m altitude.

Baz

I was once in the river in May in the pool just above Greta Bridge - but only long enough to dive in and swim to the bank to get out. My cousin stayed in for 5 minutes but she was well 'covered' so a bit more insulation. Never again for me.

The rowers at Durham University were rowing in Feb below our college and having to dodge the ice floes. - madness.

Geoff
That will have been the river Greta. Those photos of mine were the Tees. The greta as you will know joins the Tees near where two of those photos were taken. Greta Bridge is just up the road from here. I hadnt considered the Greta. in fact in twenty years of living here, I have never explored it. Im not even sure how accessible it is. I shall have a ride up on the scooter and have a look. As you say though, it will be freezing. I remember swimming in the up Swale as kids which is in the next dale and that was like ice. The Tees at Gainford or High Coniscliffe was where we headed as kids on a hot day. Hours of fun spent riding the rapids on inner tubes or lilos at High Connie.

#10 ·
Looks lovely and peaceful Jan.

There is are a couple of spots on one of my regular bike rides where I just stop and sit and observe the surroundings and sounds. often nothing but the sound of nature. There is often a wood pecker near one of the spots. The sound is amazing as it reverberates across the fields with no other man made sounds to stifle it.

#12 ·
A lovely time of year, indeed, Jan. And for once the weather is matching it. I usually find Spring so frustrating because it usually does one day sunshine followed by three days rain. Not this year :).

I have rescued a hedgehog and a baby Blackbird recently. Hedgehog went of to a rescue but baby blackbird went back into its nest and we fenced off the hedge from nosy Georgia who was really the one who found it. It had no plumage so very young indeed and she brought it to show us. I appeared completely unharmed, unlike the huge rat that she dispatched the other day! Amazing that she could be so gentle with a tiny bird and still be strong enough to deal with a massive rat. I should have weighed it but I bet it was around 2kg.

#14 · (Edited)
An hour ago I went out to cut grass in the sunshine and heard a cook-coo. There were some black clouds and now I am inside listening to the rain and frequent loud thunder claps.

Sadly my tending plant skills are no better than my spelling

Edited after a FB friend asked what the cook was cooing over :wink2:

Attachments

#19 ·
Jan
Basia thinks your magnolia is a different variety - a 'Suzanne' I think she said, because of the taller slimmer blooms and this accounts for it being a bit later.
Geoff
It´s not mine Geoff, I only have a Robinia in the garden that flowers in June. All the photos I have shown are of other peoples gardens in the village when Motley and I are out walking.

#20 ·
We had to get rid of our two Robinia trees Jan. They were overshadowing a neighbours conservatory and the needle like spines often drew blood. So we cut them down and poisoned the roots. We then had shoots appearing all over the lawn for two seasons after.

Ray.

#21 ·
We had to get rid of our two Robinia trees Jan. They were overshadowing a neighbours conservatory and the needle like spines often drew blood. So we cut them down and poisoned the roots. We then had shoots appearing all over the lawn for two seasons after.

Ray.
I know, I know, you´ve told me that before a few times, >:)

Akshirley there are two, each one has 3 trunks, work that out, 2 of the trunks on one tree are dead,
but we have never had the heart to cut them down because the birds settle there to eat the sunflower seeds off the bird table.

#22 ·
Sorry Jan. I guess it's just the name 'Robinia' conjures up those same images and then I can't remember which forum or group I had been discussing it with.
I do find I am repeating myself more often now when my wife says "what" after I have been talking to her for some time.!!!

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank
#23 ·
No apology was needed Raymond, I´m catching up with you and sometimes I don´t know if I dreamt something or if it was real.:grin2:
I dare say there are a few more on here like that.
I´m getting high scores on my German Babbel so know the brain is still quite active.:kiss:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.