Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Newbie looking for insurance

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
We pick up our new Frankia in couple of weeks and been phoning round for some quotes. Because of the value we have ticked all the boxes for tracker, alarms etc but now they want to refer me further as I haven’t got a year or more experience other than renting a motorhome in Spain for couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a company that is more reasonable to new motorhome drivers before I end up cancelling the purchase.

Didn’t realise buying a motorhome is so stressful.

#2 ·
We are, as you will see, in Germany and insuring the Motorhome is expensive because we started off with no no claim bonus because it is also our first Motorhome. Insurance still costing well over €1,000 5 years on. Owning a Motorhome is not a cheap affair.

#3 ·
Strewth Jan. Thats heavy insurance. My Hobby although only €22k value was €350 a year until I reduced the perceived annual mileage (kms) down to 8k and then the premium was €250 here in France.

Ray.

#5 ·
Yes Jan. After showing the French insurance agent my last UK renewal with 50% NCD, they honoured same. But that still only put the full premium at about €600.

Ray.

#7 ·
I only cancelled my policy last year when we sold the van. My last 2018 demand was €279.

Ray.

#9 ·
OH I see. It maybe many years but most companies will give you 50% after only a few years. It doesn't get cheaper the longer you have it. I think they vary but I seem to remember seeing discounts of 50% being offered after only 3 years.
I realise other factors play a part. Value, experience, locality, base vehicle, etc. I was just saying yours seemed expensive.

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.