Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Wiring please help

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
Totally fudged up replacing the lesuire battery in my fiat ducato 96 2.5 tdi I will attach pictures shortly.

There is a Red Brown and Black wire to attach to the leisure battery.

The vehicle battery + terminal looks to be grounded to the chassis.

#3 ·
yes its a hymer heres a couple of images one of the battery + connected to the chassis and the other is the box in the back that the red, black and brown wires keep blowing fuses. the van wont even start now and all i get is a relay ticking when i try and so much as use the hazard lights.

Attachments

#4 ·
Modern vehicles are now negative earth whereas it was not unusual for older vehicles to be positive Earth, a multi meter will easily confirm.

Terry

Reactions: HurricaneSmith
#8 ·
Just maybe you are not up to speed on the van wiring and need local professional assistance. Before some real damage gets done.

Ray.

#9 ·
Andy, as you are new to this I would suggest that you call a vehicle electrician to look at your vehicle. Not knowing what has gone wrong I can't fault find from this end. You haven't explained what fuse/fuses have blown or if the electrics have been tampered with by a previous owner.

Were there any electrical problems before you tried to change the battery?

If you isolate the vehicle battery from the leisure battery, will the vehicle start?

#10 ·
It has been stated before without challenge that Hyner did not used to follow the modern trend of re = positive black = negative .

They often used the connections the other way round. Some old vehicles also used + to the chassis _ check the VEHICLE BATTERY with a voltmeter - digital ones are around £10 and IMO no one should contemplate working on a vehicle without using one.

If you have cooncted the leisure battery the wrong way round the POTENTIAL damage can be extensive BUT the actual damage (if any) needs to be e plotted by someone who knows what they are looking at and what to check.

Get some help and advice - don't just blunder along thinking you will be OK - you may cause further damage to the vehicle.

Buy a voltmeter URGENTLY.

#11 · (Edited)
It has been stated before without challenge that Hyner did not used to follow the modern trend of re = positive black = negative .

They often used the connections the other way round. Some old vehicles also used + to the chassis _ check the VEHICLE BATTERY with a voltmeter - digital ones are around £10 and IMO no one should contemplate working on a vehicle without using one.
e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Digital-LC...ter-Checker-Buzzer/805950046?iid=282191014936

If you have connected the leisure battery the wrong way round the POTENTIAL damage can be extensive BUT the actual damage (if any) needs to be explored by someone who knows what they are looking at and what to check.

Get some help and advice - don't just blunder along thinking you will be OK - you may cause further damage to the vehicle.

Buy a voltmeter URGENTLY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.