Thermal screens - Internal or External - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 Thread Starter

Thermal screens - Internal or External

Hi guys,

The recent cold weather snap has left me thinking of purchasing some thermal screens for my Transit based Hymer.

I'm guessing external screens are better, but am happy to have any advice you could give me either way, with any recommendations as to the brand that you may have.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:18

Hi, Happy New Year

There has been plenty of info and opinions on here whether inside or out. I use outside screens, summer and winter.

In Winter they help prevent condensation inside, which is difficult to get rid of if moving off early and in summer they help keep the interior cool by reflecting the sun away. They are just as quick to fit and probably less fiddly to fit than internal screens.

Also in summer you can use they fitted curtains/ screen supplied with the van.

Hope that helps.....am sure someone will advocate internal screens tho!!

Pete
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:49

Hi Bob

Do a search on here by all means, but if your main aim is to stay warm and avoid condensation on the windscreen, there is no argument . . . it's external every time.

OK, they can be a bit unpleasant to put away if it's wet and cold, but we just roll ours up with the wet inside and drop it into its bag, which is then stood in the loo when we move on. Easy enough to dry it out when we get home.

Hope this helps

Dave

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:51

Thermal screens - Internal or External

I'll second all that - external every time.
I bought mine from VanComfort -good service.

Bob45
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:55

And I'll third it! Ours are Taylormade with the option to fold down the front part on the screen to let in light/see out without taking it all off. Very happy with ours too.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:08

When we bought our van back in March we made the mistake of buying the internal screens! What a mistake, I find them quite difficult to get a good fit and then the windscreen condensing starts! Once the screen condenses they just fall off with us because the suckers cant grip.

We used to leave them on in storage but if the sun was on the front of the van the suckers just fell off (even though I licked them a little), then causing the alarm to go off

Before our next trip away im going to buy some external screens, when away last the MH next to us had external screens and he showed me exactly how to fit them etc. it took half the time that it takes to do the interior screens and the external screens prevent the condensation.

We have a large bath towel now that we have to use to wipe down the inside of the windscreen every morning after we have stayed in the van!!

Ian.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:33

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I shall shortly be buying an external screen for my w/screen-probably not bother with sidescreens for the cab, as they are double-glazed.

Can anybody please advise the various options for attaching an external screen to 'A' class 'vans with no cab doors and mirrors that have a bottom-mounted bracket.
I am aware of the Isomatten Screen method of attaching a channel to the van bodywork.

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:59

The internal screens supplied with my old (Now traded in) AS T5 van, not only caused massive condensation & had the propensity to fall off, but did not fit leaving up to 3" gaps around the windows.

Regards, Redknee.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblewett
And I'll third it! Ours are Taylormade with the option to fold down the front part on the screen to let in light/see out without taking it all off. Very happy with ours too.
And I'll fourth it. Taylormade's too with the same option.

Geoff,

I have seen a couple of N & B with the double glazed side cab windows, and they have been subjected to internal condensation too, as no external covers were used.
Try PM'ing Ken (Gaspode), as he was looking for external screens for his N & B a while back. He may be able to help with model type and fittings.

Regards,

Jock.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:35

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Jock thanks.

I will PM Gaspode

Re side-screens, will try without at first-can add later if a problem, but they will be easier to wipe down than the huge w/screen which is difficult to reach.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page