Replacing Radio on Fiat Ducato - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-08-2007, 16:17 Thread Starter

Replacing Radio on Fiat Ducato

We have just taken delivery of our, new to us, Autosleeper Lancashire so we are now fully fledged Motorhome Facts members! We want to replace the fitted dashboard radio radio but have a couple of queries.

The current radio switches off after about 20 minutes with the ignition off, as it does on many cars. There is a switch on the side of the cupboard unit which will turn the radio on again without going into the cab. Is there a standard way of wiring a new radio/CD to do the same thing, or even better can the automatic shut-off be over-ridden.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-08-2007, 08:01

Hi,

car radios have two +12V inputs. One of them is supposed to be connected to a permanent source, this is needed to supply power for the station (and maybe other presets) memory, for the anti-theft-code option, and for running the radio when ignition is off.

The other input is supposed to be connected to a source that is only powered when ignition is on. That is, at least in normal cars. The radio is powered from this input while driving, and by this the radio can also "detect" whether ignition is on or off. Operation with ignition off is usually time-limited, to prevent the engine battery to be discharged. There are radios which allow this time limit to be adjusted or even deactivated.

I think that in your van the switch on the cupboard puts power from the leisure battery to the "ignition" input of the radio. That is at least how it is done in my Euramobil, where I have a similar switch.

If you want to completely disable the auto shut-off, then the easiest way is to both power inputs to the permanent source. Preferrably however, this permanent source should be the leisure battery and not the engine battery.

Best Regards,
Gerhard

Euramobil Sport 585DS (C-class):
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:33

Send a message via MSN to jonnowycombe
Its probable that as with my Ducato based Swift (05 plate) the stereo just plugs on a standard ISO fitting.

its a big white plug and you can reverse or pair the igntion live and permanant live as suits you.

Was a 15 min job for me to swap them over.

jon

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnowycombe
Was a 15 min job for me to swap them over.
Yep. I changed our yr 2000 factory-fitted radio / cassette for a new CD / MP3 player. The biggest problem was getting the old one out without the proper extractor tools

Once I'd done that, there was an adapter with the new radio which matched plugs / sockets. Easy-peasy. Most car accessory shops sell suitable adapters and plugs.

Gerald

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:46

Old one out - I know an 11 year old who can gat a car stereo out in less than 30 seconds and that includes opening the doors .....

Ude a coat hanger cut into bits 4" long. one in each hole and pull gently... Sometimes needs a bit of a wiggle !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2007, 08:39

Hi all

I have a Fiat Ducato based Swift Gazelle 2001 plate and I have just replace the radio but the only problem I have is that the only way I can listen to it is by having the ignition on,
(I.e. with the dash board lights on)
I would be very interested in how I can get the radio working through my leisure batteries as it came with a remote control.

Peter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2007, 10:59

There is a yellow wire and a red wire going into the back of the stereo. one is a perm live the other an ignition live. I just wired the red from the vehicle into the yellow and red of the stereo.

This means the stereo will ALWAYS work when the ehgine is on or off - HOWEVER I could run the battery flat.

I ahve used the stereo for a week holiday and not run the engine all week and it ahs not flattened the battery (as a test).

To wire fromt he leisure battery you need to connect the red and yellow wire from the stereo to the leisure battery.

That help ?

jon
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2007, 11:06

Fiats and Music

I have just bought another 15 watt Solar Energy Panel from solarvision which i will be plugging into the cigar Lighter to trickle charge the engine battery over the winter , i already have one that keeps the Leisure battery Topped up ( its only an 85 amp one and my Lap Top / monitor and Printer can run that right down in a few hours when my 240 Inverter is on ) !

They are pretty easy to mount on the Roof and take the lead down through your Ariel input !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-08-2019, 14:25

My Motorhome: I drive...
I recently bought a Fiat Ducato Motorhome 2004 but the emetic windows and central locking didnít work. I have taken it to my local garage who seem to be struggling to fix it!
They have told me that they have done a diagnostic test and found the problem to be a fuse. They then ordered the new fuse but then found that it wouldnít work. They were very confused and started another test. They then ordered a second hand rely / module as they thought this would be the problem but again it didnít fix the problem? Anyone had or heard of this problem that might be able to help?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-08-2019, 16:27

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome to the forum wolfie. You might be better to start a new thread with a more suitable title as this is a very old thread.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in