Jump starter/battery booster - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 18:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Jump starter/battery booster

A couple of months ago I had a dead car battery (thro lack of use). I do have jump leads in the MH somewhere but couldn't find them - still can't!

I'm wondering about buying something like the NOCO Boost HD GB70 battery pack, which I think might deal with a small anxiety I have regarding batteries.

I stay off-grid a lot and sometimes the batteries (2x95 with a 130 solar panel) aren't as charged as I'd like. But that may just be because the difference between a fully-chatted battery (12.6v) and a soon-to-be-knackered one (under 12v) seems miniscule to me.

So I'm thinking this NOCO GB70 would not only be backup for a dead vehicle battery and a power source for tanking up various electronics, but I could also use it to pump up my leisure batteries if my worst fears were ever realised and I'd no power for heating, say.

Am I right in thinking it could be used for this? Are there any problems using it on a 2-battery system? Would it have to be connected to the red of one battery n the black of the other? - that might be a problem as the leads appear to be quite short.

There's also the GB50 which is cheaper and lighter... My engine is the 2.3 ducato

GB70
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB70-U...c=1&th=1&psc=1

GB50
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MVY7K...RoChKkQAvD_BwE

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 18:29

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
It will charge the batteries in small items Jean. Phones and the like.

It is not really a substitute for a leisure battery even for a very short time. What it will do is give a quick burst of power sufficient to turn you engine over even if that battery is pretty flat. They say it will power a tyre inflator, it may do but not for more than a few minutes. At a glance I don't see the capacity of the battery in it but with that info it won't be hard to work out what it can do. I'll have another look.

It has very limited storage, as the physical size indicates, but it is capable of giving a short burst of high power. It wouldn't crank a reluctant engine for very long. I can't say how long but you could ask the question.

I can't see it's storage capacity even on the data sheet. 40 jump stars is quite a claim. Maybe I'm misjudging it. It's a bit expensive to take the chance on. I'd ask some questions.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 19-01-2021 at 18:35.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 18:43

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
. 40 jump stars is quite a claim. Maybe I'm misjudging it. It's a bit expensive to take the chance on. I'd ask some questions.
I would think a brand new hefty lead acid battery would struggle to do that much, let alone a puny little thing like that !
erneboy likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I would think a brand new hefty lead acid battery would struggle to do that much, let alone a puny little thing like that !
I was thinking it maigh jump start a warm scooter engine which was in perfectly good working order, maybe Andy.

I wish I could see the battery capacity.

I looked at these a while back. My car is a Mehari, 2CV based. It's always hard to start on a very cold morning or a damp one. I ended up buying a proper battery charger with a good boost capacity. It cost as much as that little box but it will turn my car, my van or anything else, over for as long as it takes to get it going. Won't do Jeans job though.

A spare battery would also be a good option for jean as you say.

What about these bigger battery based boost start things. I know nothing about them. This, just as an example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RPP148...motive&sr=1-23

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 19:31

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Find yer jump leads Jean.
I have a set in each vehicle and another set for people who want to borrow. Plus a spare set.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 19:35

Yes. I always carried leads long enough and heavy enough to reach from the leisure batteries to the engine battery, and have used them a few times.

Not required now for that job since RV are well equipped and have a button on the dash to divert the leisure power to the engine battery. My boats all had that too. Very useful.
raynipper likes this.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 20:21

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. I bought a 'jumping jack' , similar to what jean is talking about , when they first came out a few years ago . i didn't get a chance to try it on the MH as it never whet 'flat' but I did start a completely flat 2.5 litre car with it . It had been lying up for some time so the battery wouldn't even light up the dash but that little pack easily turned it over and got it started . ( The scrap man was coming to collect it ) I have also used it twice to start our Mitsibushi Grandis , the kids use this big wagon for the band gear but they have a habit of leaving the interior light on after unloading it. I am guessing that the one Jean has her eye on is even more powerful, I would guess it'll do the job, but hey, it's very expensive .
erneboy likes this.

G
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 20:31

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
The GB50 has a 35Watt-hour battery so about 3Ah at 12 volts. The GB70 has a 56 Watt-hour battery. While it may operate as a jump starter it will be of little use as a source of power to replace your hab batteries.
erneboy likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 20:52

I wasn't knocking Alan. I said that I thought it would jump start a healthy vehicle. I did question the idea of 40 on one charge.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-01-2021, 23:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thanks for the input folks. The reviews I'd read of the GB70 seemed to confirm what you say Alan (Gretchibald) but if it wouldn't be of much use to tank up low leisure batteries (I wasn't intending to use it AS a leisure battery) then it just becomes rather expensive jump leads!

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page