External screens for solo traveller? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 20:22 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
External screens for solo traveller?

I'll be in Northern Europe till mid-July which is a month later than my usual stay. I'm guessing it might get quite hot - northern Poland, Germany.

Because I'm joining an organised tour and thus using campsites, I thought maybe I should invest in external screens after all (I won't use them if wilding).

I'd an email from Silver Screens with a price but also stating these are not suitable for fitting by a single person. I thought it was good of them to be upfront about that but also wondered if there are any solo travellers using external screens on an A-class, and how they manage?

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 20:29

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi jean

i am assuming you have a normal ducato cab if so i do it all the time

i just leave all 3 parts velcroad together all the time i pull the wipers clear of the screen, hook the silverscreen over 1 door and close it then lay it over the windscreen and open the other door slightly and hook it over that
im in a hurry but hope it makes sense

just make sure when you order the silverscreen that you get the correct one as they are different if you have internal blinds

barry
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 21:14 Thread Starter

Thanks Barry but, as said, it's an A-class.

I used to put our old one on the ducato myself (not particularly easy but do-able)

Jean

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 21:17

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
sorry

i missed that part and from what i have seen a class are quit big and fiddly
barry
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 23:06

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Hi Jean,

We have a Hymer B598PL which as you know is an A class. We also own a silver screen external cover (genuine silver screen company).
At 5’ 10” I can put our screen on single handed, but it is a bit of a faff. I know you are quite tall, you may remember we met at a C&CC Motorhome section meet in Coleraine a while back.

It can be very difficult if you have had to put the van on ramps, even that extra few inches complicates things and as you know Hymers sit low at the front.

I start by sliding the envelope over the passenger door and unrolling the screen round the windscreen. The wipers arms, If lifted off the glass act as a ‘shelf’ for the lower edge of the cover. The other end of the screen cover (with the suckers) gets fed inside the sliding drivers window. You can nip the fabric by closing the window till you get inside to secure the suckers and window. Be aware that the window will no longer close securely, so you need to get a wooden dowel or water pipe to wedge it closed. I use mine as an extra security feature for that window anyway without the screen.

You then need to futter (good Norn Iron word) to get the screen set to your liking. Then finally I close the passenger door which tensions the screen in its final position. As Barry stated at least the cover is in 3 sections (front and 2 sides) which can be adjusted for your van or circumstances.

Worth its weight in gold, both in heat, but especially in winter to avoid condensation and retain internal heat. It can be very awkward to get right if the windscreen is wet through rain as the cover sticks and is very difficult to slide into position.

I have been thinking of buying a step, either folding or fixed to assist with the operation, it probably would help with accessing the area above the windscreen when I try to wash the dead bugs off. I dare say there are other uses I could put it to, although I am fortunate that 90% of the time both of us can rig the screen, but you know the crack, if you plan and use your wits you can generally evolve methods to solve all sorts of problems.

We are in Newcastle (co Down) although parked at Donaghey’s tonight for service tomorrow. If you are at home over the next lot of weeks you would be welcome to come down and try putting the screen on and off my van to make your own judgement.

Davy
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for that excellent post Davy. Yes, I remember meeting you.

I used to be 5'9" but not any more, I think!!

Your idea of trying out fitting yours sounds a good one. I'll need to check the diary n see what time is available - I can PM you.

Jean
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 13:34

You will be very welcome to come and try my silver screen. Try and give me 2 or 3 dates and times and I am sure we can get something to suit.

Davy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:32

Replied to your pm. Contact details sent.

Davy
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 14:51 Thread Starter

Thanks Davy, all done!

Jean
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 23:44

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
If you join the facebook group Hymer Owners Group, they have a discount with

http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/Polar.htm

£285 before discount for an A-class. They seem very overpriced to me and they're cheaper than Silverscreens. I would just make some from something from a hardware.

You join the group then contact the admin to ask for a discount code, but be warned, he's a soup nazi and very cagey who he gives codes to. He blocked me for trying to get it out of him first time just because I was new to the group - that's when you want to buy stuff! I had to create a fresh facebook profile and suck up to him a bit more to get them.
nickkdx likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page