Which directional wifi signal-boosting receiver aerial? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 14:22

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
the iBoost directional antenna generally works well and is simple to set up and use, but many campsite have p1ss poor wifi routers to start with and don't boost their use by having transmitters around the site. this can still can cause issues on some sites so it's still best to get a spot as close to the wifi source as possible.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

Last edited by fatbuddha; 25-03-2015 at 14:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 14:33

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamless View Post
The reason you can't get a signal is because your phone has a rubbish internal aerial. All phones do. I said earlier to buy an external aerial if going down the cellular route. With an external aerial we have always got a 3G signal and that includes some very remote parts of the UK Spain Portugal and The Western Sahara. Without the aerial nothing. For wifi configuration 99% of the fields in the nano are default, you have to alter about 4 fields to get it to work as an access point. Five minutes work.
No - our village has really poor signal everywhere, cliffs, hills etc all affect it! If we go out to sea a wee way we get a superb signal!! There are loads of areas up here with no cellular signal at all, nothing to do with phones, as there are plenty of areas where broadband is by satellite as is TV.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethernut View Post
No - our village has really poor signal everywhere, cliffs, hills etc all affect it! If we go out to sea a wee way we get a superb signal!! There are loads of areas up here with no cellular signal at all, nothing to do with phones, as there are plenty of areas where broadband is by satellite as is TV.
don't think it really matters if you are rural or not - we live in quite a new urban environment but our mobile signal at home is sh1te and often have to walk outside to get better reception. that's with O2 but was the same with Vodafone previously. thank dog for having BT Infinity as having to rely on mobile for internet here would be as bad as watching paint dry.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 16:37

I made my own up from a now obsolete panel unit.
Bought some 36mm acrylic pipe off ebay and a spare status aerial roof grommet for £5 at a show.

Take as long as I like to adjust indoors in the warm & dry

I'm using it right now to post this.

Wifi repeater.

Andy
My Aire galleries HERE
Use of the tab will get you more answers

Excusez-moi si mon message est perdu dans la traduction

Last edited by Techno100; 25-03-2015 at 16:41.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 18:38

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
don't think it really matters if you are rural or not - we live in quite a new urban environment but our mobile signal at home is sh1te and often have to walk outside to get better reception. that's with O2 but was the same with Vodafone previously. thank dog for having BT Infinity as having to rely on mobile for internet here would be as bad as watching paint dry.
I take it you know you can get mobile phone boosters if you have good broadband. Vodafone for example do a Suresignal. I have installed a couple in rural areas where there is broadband but no mobile signal. The signal is obtained via the broadband and Sure signal box. Uses a bit of bandwidth when your on the phone but it basically means if your in range of the sure signal box you get a good mobile signal. Not expensive to buy either

I got the impression Eamless was suggesting that even in an area with apparently no mobile signal or very weak signal a Mobile or sim antenna will bring in a good signal for your mobile as the internal antennas are crap. I would be interested to hear more about this but I also cannot see how it would work if its in a area where no 3g service is broadcast at all for miles around and there simply is nowhere around here for miles and miles you could ever hope to get 3G. 2g is a bonus.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I take it you know you can get mobile phone boosters if you have good broadband. Vodafone for example do a Suresignal. I have installed a couple in rural areas where there is broadband but no mobile signal. The signal is obtained via the broadband and Sure signal box. Uses a bit of bandwidth when your on the phone but it basically means if your in range of the sure signal box you get a good mobile signal. Not expensive to buy either

I got the impression Eamless was suggesting that even in an area with apparently no mobile signal or very weak signal a Mobile or sim antenna will bring in a good signal for your mobile as the internal antennas are crap. I would be interested to hear more about this but I also cannot see how it would work if its in a area where no 3g service is broadcast at all for miles around and there simply is nowhere around here for miles and miles you could ever hope to get 3G. 2g is a bonus.
Barry - I love you! You reminded me that O2 supply a wifi app called TU Go which uses wifi to make a call instead of the mobile signal. Until recently, it was only available to personal account holders and as our mobiles are on a business account, it was of no use to us - but it is now as they have included business users. Yippee - no more **** mobile reception at home as my Infinity can easily mop up the bandwidth for calls.

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 19:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
Barry - I love you! You reminded me that O2 supply a wifi app called TU Go which uses wifi to make a call instead of the mobile signal. Until recently, it was only available to personal account holders and as our mobiles are on a business account, it was of no use to us - but it is now as they have included business users. Yippee - no more **** mobile reception at home as my Infinity can easily mop up the bandwidth for calls.
Steady on Fatty, you will make Tuggers jealous.

The only thing I have found with these devices on normal broadband is that if you try and send out a huge email or take up bandwidth on the computer while on the mobile at the same time they can wig out a bit (technical computer term) and the call can break up but hardly an issue and with infinity with good upload speeds as well as download you should have no bother.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 19:32

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 700LX
Gosh I love this forum. We have moved on from whats a good cheap aerial to broadband at home If you are in an area where there is no signal at all then nothing can help. But where the poster says he has to go upstairs and open the windows then an aerial will help.
i said I have not been anywhere yet where I have not go a signal but that doesn't mean there isnt some black spots. Especially in the UK (IMHO is bad compared to most other countries)
You can get an aerial that satisfies cellular and WiFi. I dont have one. I have both a nano and a Mifi. If I had to chose one while travelling around I would go for the cellular MiFi. This is based on my experience in going round Europe for the last 7 months. But everyone has their own opinion and more importantly get the system you want for your needs. if anyone wants any help in setting up a nano I am here to help. To get the best connections where ever you are you may need more than one solution. I do, but I am finding I use the Wifi based access less and less due to some of the reasons I have said: Security, Speed, access by aerial being blocked. But love the debate.
Cheers

Loads more stuff at www.eamlesstravels.com for you to enjoy
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 15-05-2015, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno100 View Post
I made my own up from a now obsolete panel unit.
Bought some 36mm acrylic pipe off ebay and a spare status aerial roof grommet for £5 at a show.

Take as long as I like to adjust indoors in the warm & dry

I'm using it right now to post this.

Wifi repeater.
Hi Techno,
That looks a very neat arrangement. I have the same (faculty x) range extender as you which I normally plug straight into the laptop. I'm now looking to use a tablet and phone etc so was wondering what wifi repeater you are using.

Thanks
Chris
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 15-05-2015, 15:13

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-us...irpt-3000.html
Chrisv and Chrisv like this.

Andy
My Aire galleries HERE
Use of the tab will get you more answers

Excusez-moi si mon message est perdu dans la traduction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page