Which directional wifi signal-boosting receiver aerial? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 24-03-2015, 19:19

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 700LX
the more important thing is my point about wifi in general.

Loads more stuff at www.eamlesstravels.com for you to enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 24-03-2015, 19:55

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamless View Post
the more important thing is my point about wifi in general.
Works for me. I seldom go on campsites though but have occasionally used their wifi from outside if its open. Never had an issue on FON, BT Openzone, Tourist Information wifi etc.

Would love to see mobile comms improve and roaming costs done away with but already they have put back the dates on this and it may never happen.

Until there is open 3g or 4g comms across europe where you can use your existing contract and get decent signals everywhere then Ill stick with wifi and an antenna.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 24-03-2015, 21:34

Another vote for iboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaiuk View Post
I've no doubt that, as Eamless says, you could buy components cheaper than Motorhome WiFi's iBoost system, but don't forget Addie sells a complete system including multi platform software, supplies very clear instructions and offers an after-sales (and pre-sales) service second to none.

Malcolm
I totally agree with ejaiuk's comments about Motorhome Wifi's iBoost system and the service they offer. We bought one recently as we are travelling to Italy. We are currently on a site near Luxembourg using the iBoost as the wifi on the site is too weak for us to use (despite being told that we could get wifi anywhere on site). One of the great advantages is the we can each use the wifi on separate devices. We have been on a lot of sites where you can only 'attach' one device to the wifi. Any questions that Himself had about the product were answered very quickly. He was extremely impressed with the customer service and particularly their knowledge and practical application .

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 08:51

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
any one tried the wifi airials that are in ebay

im on a site at the moment wifi is good down and upload speed but E25 a month

some people have a wifi booster aimed at the club house that has free wifi

i just think a cheap booster may be handy if they work

barry
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 09:30

The iboost system is a ubiquiti nanostation loco m2. It takes five minutes to set up the first time and then one minute for new campsites. The nano is the standard used for marine connections and used by nearly every American in their RV. it comes with a web interface to configure it. Link it with a air router and you have a far better solution than iboost for half the cost. This is not difficult stuff to do. But after using wifi and cellular across Europe and Morocco for the last year I will stick by views that a unlocked cellular solution is the way to go. Wifi over Fon are or any campsite is not secure. Campsites are beginning to block connection by aerials. The cellular companies will offer pan-European roaming, it is already happening and will increase rapidly. They are not phone companies anymore but content providers and they will lock you in by content not network. All the investment in the industry is in mobile not wifi. but like everything you have to sit down and work out your requirements of what you want. How much content do I want, do I want multi media?, does need to be secure?, how often do I want to use it? If you want to buy an iboost system then fine, there is nothing wrong with for what it does. I have pointed out what it consists of and if you have a basic knowledge of IT you can buy the same system for half price and do IT yourself. I did and even published how to do it to help other motor homers. If you don't feel confident then buy an iboost. But as someone who works in this industry and knows the road maps of where things are going then I would advise towards cellular and I don't care what one you buy. Saying that the unlocked Huawei offerings seem to be the best if you are travelling extensively across Europe and Morocco. If you are in an area served by 3, go for that. Work out your requirements and then decide.

Last edited by Eamless; 25-03-2015 at 09:33. Reason: Typos
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 10:53

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 745
I would love to be able to depend on cellular but can't even get a signal in my own house without going to the top of the garden and holding the phone in the air!!! Many of us who live in rural areas and travel in them want something that will work now not next year or the year after!!! will look at what your information but sometimes the attraction is something that you take out of the box and it works with no futtering around
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 11:13

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 745
Earmless - just read some of your blog, very interesting, like the stopover/camping chart - thanks for putting that on. We're heading off towards Portugal, and who knows, November or December this year so your Portugal report interesting reading!!!
Oh and the dad dancing is impressive!!!!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 11:19

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Like many others, I don't want the running costs of a mobile phone on data link, so Wi-Fi is a better solution, even if we are paying a nominal amount for it.

I can't see those sites offering WiFi now, taking it out again, especially where there is no mobile coverage.

Peter
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 11:28

The reason you can't get a signal is because your phone has a rubbish internal aerial. All phones do. I said earlier to buy an external aerial if going down the cellular route. With an external aerial we have always got a 3G signal and that includes some very remote parts of the UK Spain Portugal and The Western Sahara. Without the aerial nothing. For wifi configuration 99% of the fields in the nano are default, you have to alter about 4 fields to get it to work as an access point. Five minutes work.

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-03-2015, 12:39

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamless View Post
The reason you can't get a signal is because your phone has a rubbish internal aerial. All phones do. I said earlier to buy an external aerial if going down the cellular route. With an external aerial we have always got a 3G signal and that includes some very remote parts of the UK Spain Portugal and The Western Sahara. Without the aerial nothing. For wifi configuration 99% of the fields in the nano are default, you have to alter about 4 fields to get it to work as an access point. Five minutes work.
This is interesting. So really then we need a device that is dual purpose. An antenna that can work both as a wifi antenna and a mobile signal booster. Is that possible? Is such an all in one device available?

Its ok talking about connecting this that and the other and using separate aerials, antennas and routers but what you will quickly discover on here is that most motorhomers (not all but most) just want something that they can plug in and it works. Many have had trouble with just the single USB antennas.

I box that takes a sim but also acts as a wifi router with an antenna in a single package could be very useful especially if it then does mean 3G signals are readily available everywhere (I still have my doubts on that one).

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page