Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Truma crash sensor regulator

8K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  dghr272 
#1 ·
Is that the same as secumotion?

I'm considering fitting such a regulator - not specifically to have the heating when I'm driving but so's I don't have to get out in the tipping rain whenever I park up.

I remember there used to be a problem with secumotion regulators gumming up - is that still the case?

I see the crash sensor one advises using a filter (one for each bottle) but I doubt I'd have room for those.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Is that the same as secumotion?

I'm considering fitting such a regulator - not specifically to have the heating when I'm driving but so's I don't have to get out in the tipping rain whenever I park up.

I remember there used to be a problem with secumotion regulators gumming up - is that still the case?

I see the crash sensor one advises using a filter (one for each bottle) but I doubt I'd have room for those.

Any thoughts?
It is similar but not exactly the same. With the secumotion as you know you have to press the green button in every time you turn the gas bottle ON. If there is a drop in pressure the gas trips out. The crash sensor type have a built in impact sensor set to around 3.5g which shuts off the gas in an accident and a restricter valve if the gas hose or regulator is ruptured/sheared to stop a sudden outrush of gas if the impact sensor isnt triggered. You only need to press the reset button if it has tripped for some reason. Mine is 15 months old and has not been problematic or have filters fitted.

#3 ·
It is similar but not exactly the same. With the secumotion as you know you have to press the green button in every time you turn the gas bottle ON.If there is a drop in pressure the gas trips out. The crash sensor type have a built in impact sensor set to around 3.5g which shuts off the gas in an accident and a restricter valve if the gas hose or regulator is ruptured/sheared to stop a sudden outrush of gas if the impact sensor isnt triggered. You only need to press the reset button if it has tripped for some reason. Mine is 15 months old and has not been problematic or have filters fitted.
That's good to know you find it dependable Ray. Do you have autogas?

I presume you'd only be turning the bottle off and on again at refill?

#5 ·
Excellent!

I must be getting old, looking for ways to cut down effort. You may see in another post I was investigating if I could leave the hab windows on the sneck while driving instead of closing for driving then opening all for parking - but it seems that might involve extra housework which is definitely not on my agenda!!

#6 ·
I have just had a Secumotion regulator fail but as it is 10 years old that is not surprising, it was due for change anyway. The van was also fitted with a DualControl changeover valve. The original Secumotion regulator design was superseded by the new Mono Control CS. Due to the newer fitting being considerably larger than the old version I decided to upgrade to the combined DuoControl CS which incorporates both parts. This single fitting is much nearer the size of the original 2 fittings: https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-duocontrol-cs.html

I like the fact that the only time I turn off the gas is when using Eurotunnel.

#10 ·
I have checked with the Gas-It dealer who supplied the bottle & he stated that there is no requirement to turn off the gas to fill the bottle.

Correct the regulator is not part of the filling circuit, it was only mentioned in relation to never turning off the gas except for Eurotunnel.

#11 ·
I had asked the dealer to fit the Truma duo cs regulator - or rather asked for a price.

No call over the long weekend it was with them. When I pick it up he says we can't fit the sensor because you've too much gas flowing from the bottles..?.??

I have a 3 burner hob, a boiler and a fridge.

Eh?? Anyone else heard of this before?

#14 ·
Just to add a little more information it would not be permitted to have a retro-fitted crash sensor/Secumotion in France - the law permitting such things is very specific and draws a line that it is not allowed on any MH registered before 2007.

I was considering fitting it to ours but it is not permitted.....

#18 ·
I found this on the Web, about the Truma duo cs - The regulator output is 1.5 kg/h, which is suitable for maximum consumption.

But I don't know the consumption of the hob, fridge and boiler. Any idea where I might find the information, or even a ball-park figure?

#20 ·
I found this -
https://www.truma.com/uk/en/product...ngs/guide-gas-consumption-calculation-rv.html
which gives generic figures for gas consumption, and taking the max in each case I'd use max 800g/h. The Truma regulator allows 1.5kg/h.

I think he's talking through his elbow.
I will check out the actual consumption of the equipment in my MH - but I can't be nearly double the high-end figures given on the Truma site?

#23 ·
Bigger revenue stream earning jobs for his guys to work on maybe ?

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.