Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - View Single Post - Is your van tested correctly - MOT class 4 or 7?

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 21:34
nicholsong

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen campbell View Post
I am an MOT tester.

We can only test a vehicle as it is presented regardless what is registered as.

for example. if a customer comes in for a test in a motorhome with non essential camping accessories such as your scooter. then we have to test it as a goods vehicle as you are not coming to us for a holiday arent you. however, if you came to use for an MOT with a motorhome and all the was inside was bedding and cleaning materials. then it would be tested as it is in situ under a class 4 MOT. this will not effect the MOT on the vehicle if you were to go on holiday and have a scooter, golf clubs and any other items in your motorhome. your class 4 MOT will remain valid up until its expiry date no matter what you carry inside to go with you on holiday.

my advice to anyone in your case is to bring your motorhome with minimum items inside as possible. if it is full of camping equipment, then that is fine. a scooter is not camping equipment, although you may wish to take one with you to use on holiday.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve
That wording I have highlighted does not make sense to me .

Previous quotes on this thread have suggested that DVSA criteria for differentiating between Class 4 and Class 7 are based on whether the items are for commercial purposes - which would make it in law a 'Living Van'

Would you like to comment on the legal aspect of that and not just tell us what you would do?

Geoff

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome