7.5 tonne licence - Page 6 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 20:26 Thread Starter

Do you hold a C1 licence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 20:34

Seems like yes, whatever that is!
post #53 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 20:38 Thread Starter

Quote:
Slightly off type of vehicle, but a couple of othern points do show that once a base HGV chassis is constructed and re-reg'ed..............My brother-in-law keeps horses. When last in the UK I went to a large show. Some of the horse boxes there were HUGE, with living accommodation etc etc. I even saw a twin-axel one. One in particular caught my eye, partly because of it's size and partly because of the obviously very young female groom driver. I joked with her about handling, comfort etc and she confirmed her other vehicle was a Ford Fiesta.......and as far as she was concerned/confirmed she could drive that monster on her car licence.
Sorry but that is nonsense. The guy who owns the storage yard where Dragon bus lives, had a horse box and he needed a C licence, he also needed a tachograph if he was using it to transport show horses.

I know a girl who drives a large horse box, but it is under 7.5t and she holds a C1 licence.

I also phoned construction and use today with regard to motorcaravans, the nice man told me the definition as per SI (1986) 1078 and that construction and use don't have anything to do with classifying driving licence categories, the DVLA are responsible for driving licences.

Which brings me back to the car licence category B upto 3500KG, anyone want to tell me how you get around the legal definition of a motorcar?

post #54 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 20:43

Hi Red_dragon_bus

With all due respect don't draw me into all this. Frankly, I don't give a toss.
post #55 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 20:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detourer
Seems like yes, whatever that is!
Thats the bit of paper that lets you drive something upto 7500KG, not to be confused with the bit of paper which allows people to drive things upto 3500KG
post #56 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 21:03

Hi Jonathon

I think if you are moving horses for someone else its commercial and as you say it then needs Tacho etc. But for personal use with living accomodation.........................

With regards to Marsham, dont ask loaded questions.

The question you need to ask is

Does a motorcaravan fall under the definition of a HGV to which they will answer NO

at no point have I or anyone else said that C&U Marsham Make licencing decisions, legally the DVLA dont either, thats all down to legisaltion. But the DVLA claim that marsham C&U classify a Motorhome over 7.5 tonnes as an HGV, nut when you ask (marsham) they say exactly the opposite ie a Motorhome is NOT and HGV.

Also construction and use dept are mentioned in the legislation as the arbitors of HGV definition and as I have already said they say Motorhome is Not HGV.

If it is an HGV (as you and the DVLA claim) then all new ones must be fitted with speed limiters and Tachographs. Ask Vosa they say that if a motorhome were classed as an HGV then it would have to be kitted out with Tacho etc Otherwise it would have to be listed as an EXEMPTED vehicle which it is not.

Re going back to motorcar weights, cars are defined and do have a few weights bandied about. BUT a motorhome is not a car.

Next we go back to Minibuses they have no weight limit and can be 20 tonnes or more as long as the vehicle meets construction and use and as the right number of axles etc. this is Just to show that not all vehicles are constricted by weight.

If we follow your logic forward Jonathon, its not a car so cant be driven on car licence, its not an HGV because the people who decide that (Marsham) say its not, The C class on a licence still refers back to HGV law which is Goods Vehicle (which means it doesnt cover motorhomes) so what licence is required Jon? According to the above no-one can drive a large motorhome legally.

How can you dismiss what Ray says Just because it doesnt fit your opinion?

George
post #57 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 21:08

Hi RDB

Like I say, not going to get draw into the "argument" side of all this.

My licence says CI. My vehicle has a GVM of 10.600kg + conversion body, not sure of total weight but I may if I see one put it on a wbridge. Can I drive it........legal?
post #58 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 22:38 Thread Starter

A motor caravan does not fall into the definition of a motorcar, nor does it fall into the definition of a HGV, or for that matter a PCV.

There is a legal definition of a motor caravan contained in SI (1986) 1078 which states it is a vehicle designed to carry persons and goods which is fitted with fixed living accommodation.

Now as the legal definition of a car category B is a 4 wheel vehicle upto 3500KG regardless of the use of the vehicle that means it can be a commercial vehicle ie a transit, or a car upto 8 seats. Or a small motorhome.

A person who has a category B licence cannot drive a car which weighs more than 3500KG or tow a trailer over 750KG, if they cannot drive a car over 3500KG does that imply they can drive a van of any size or a lorry of any size provided it's not a car?

Pre 1997 the limit was 7500KG, a minibus is a "small bus", the definition appears to have been lost in translation.

The crux of your arguement is that the HGV licence is for driving goods vehicles. And as a "motorcaravan" is not an HGV therefor it can be driven on a car licence. The only problem with this arguement is that a car licence has a water tight definition which limits the size of vehicle that can be driven. There are a list of exemptions but "motorcaravan" is not on that list.

Using the minibus loop hole also opens up problems, if you state the vehicle is a "motorcaravan" on the V5C then it cannot be a minibus. If it is a "minibus" on the V5C then you run into problems with getting insurance.
post #59 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 22:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detourer
Hi RDB

Like I say, not going to get draw into the "argument" side of all this.

My licence says CI. My vehicle has a GVM of 10.600kg + conversion body, not sure of total weight but I may if I see one put it on a wbridge. Can I drive it........legal?
DVLA say NO

I say NO

George says YES

It's your licence
post #60 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 23:07

Phew, what luck...............police let me go and the insurance paid up.
(and the next Mhome is even bigger).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page