7.5 tonne licence - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:18

Hi guys

You've all left me very confused

What size USRV can I legally drive on a pre 1997 car licence ?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:40 Thread Starter

DVLA say 7.5t
post #23 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:44

Hi Guys

Thanks for replies
both here and pm

Chris

post #24 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 13:40

Hi

DVLA do say 7.5 Tonnes, but they are ignoring the law as it is written, They are contradicting Construction and Use who say Motorhomes are not weight restricted, the very people they (DVLA) tell you to consult.

Note at the bottom of there webpage it says its only there opinion

The Local police traffic legal dept, also agree that they cant find any law to prosecute you under.

Not sure at all how you would stand abroad though, usually if its legal in your home country its legal throughout Europe. But there are several areas where this isnt strictly true. Licencing may be one of them, abroad the law is much clearer and over 7.5 Tonnes you need a higher licence, but here again I know of many people who have very large American motorhomes, they have been pulled up bith here and abroad, their licence as never been called into question.

Jonathon

Maybe their intent was that it would be limited to 7.4 tonnes on minibuses but like the motorhome it is not, for a minibus its very clear because it as its own category and is clearly defined, According to Marsham construction and Use dept the motorhome is the same.

George
post #25 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 14:13 Thread Starter

I hold HGV and PCV so you can argue amongst yourselves.
post #26 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 15:17

I've missed most of this argument, so must agree with Jonathon. I do not have an LGV license - yet. But there is no way I would drive anything bigger than our EuraMobil without one, regardless of the law.

I knocked off part of the side trim on our van. Not because I am a woman, but because I am a car driver and when you get stressed or panic you resort to pre-programming. To drive larger I need new defaults!

Lizzie
post #27 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 15:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandlizzie
I've missed most of this argument, so must agree with Jonathon. I do not have an LGV license - yet. But there is no way I would drive anything bigger than our EuraMobil without one, regardless of the law.

I knocked off part of the side trim on our van. Not because I am a woman, but because I am a car driver and when you get stressed or panic you resort to pre-programming. To drive larger I need new defaults!

Lizzie
Hi Lizzie,

I would highly recommend the LGV (C) licence, you will learn alot about driving large vehicles. There is alot to consider when driving a large vehicle which is not covered in the car test.

Take care

Jonathan
post #28 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 16:41

Couldn't agree more Jonathon. We have looked into driving large vehicles quite a lot and it's very concerning... 1) the number of RV dealers who actively encourage you to drive one without an LGV test (they often don't have one themselves), 2) the number of people driving larger motorhomes without a class C or C+E when they legally should have one, 3) the number of people who actually think it doesn't make a difference.

It makes sense to be prepared on so many levels - you'll drive it better, bang it up less, be less likely to damage other people and property, plus your insurance will actually be valid etc...

Lizzie
(booked in for LGV medical in 2 weeks, next stop theory!)
post #29 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 19:18

Hi

People often mix up what I am saying here. I dont say its right that people should Just Jump into a large vehicle and drive.

Has far as motorhomes are concerned it is legal to do so, regardless of what the DVLA tell you, they dont write the law and when asked to quote the legislation that backs up their claim they cannot their legal dept spent 6 weeks trying to find it and could only come up with GOODS vehicle law which does not apply to motorhomes (the definitions are down to construction and Use and they say that Motorhomes are NOT Goods vehicles and therefore are not weight restricted.

If you want to say everyone should take a HEAVY GOODS VEHICLE test thats fair enough, but dont try to pretend that its a legal requirement.

Re the insurance thing no insurance company as yet refused to pay out on any accident by saying that the driver needed a Higher rated licence in the 30 + years that these large motorhomes have been imported dont you think thats strange? of all the people I have known that drive them only 2 have HGV licences. and no-one as had any complaints or even a raised eyebrow from the police, The local traffic police dept have looked and can find no charge that they could bring re the licence.

What I have said all along is, that legally you are OK without the licence, the only official body that disagree's is DVLA.

Whethor its actually sensible is another thing entirely.

George
post #30 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 19:35

George wrote........

Quote:
People often mix up what I am saying here
........is it suprising when you make sweeping statements like this,

Quote:
Re the insurance thing no insurance company as yet refused to pay out on any accident by saying that the driver needed a Higher rated licence
Having looked back at some of your posts I think your just here to wind people up, hard as it may be I am going to try and ignore your future postings.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page