MPG? (2005 Winnebago Aspect or similar - V10 6.8?) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-09-2007, 20:55 Thread Starter

MPG? (2005 Winnebago Aspect or similar - V10 6.8?)

Hi all.

Can anyone help out with their knowledge of the MPG I might expect if I was to buy a Winnebago Aspect from 2005?

I'm guessing 10 - 12 mpg. Am I in the right area, or could I be pleasantly surprised?

As an afterthought, anyone converted to dual-fuel, and if so, who did the conversion for you please? And , importantly, can you recommend them!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-09-2007, 22:16

Hi Julie
Depending on how you drive about 12 MPG, but more important is what you do with those 12 MPG.......
Regards
Tel
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-09-2007, 22:41

Hi Julie G

When we purchased our Holiday Rambler "Vacationer" powered by a Ford 6.8 V10, the dealer assured us that it would equal the 13-14 mpg that we achieved with our previous deisel.

In those immortal words of a famous comedienne,"WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH"

I measured carefully in the first 12 months of motoring and we achieved the dizzy heights of 7.5 mpg (albeit towing a smartcar).

In the past 12 months that has improved slightly to about 8-9, but one should bear in mind that I rarely drive faster than 50-55 mph.(can't afford to at those mpg's)

I've considered a LPG conversion, but at present the cost outweighs the advantages with the annual mileage that we cover.

Hope this helps.

REGARDS
NEV3

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-09-2007, 13:35

Hi Julie G

Prior to LPG conversion I was getting 10 mpg towing a trailer with my C Class RV. Now I am getting 20 mpg for the equivalent price of a gallon of petrol averaging 65 mph. Cost of conversion £2650. However, to recover the cost you need do keep the RV for a few years and do above average mileage. But it sure is nice filling up and getting 250 miles for about £62. There are a number of threads on the LPG subject, worth doing a search.

LPG Conversion

I disagree with the comments that you lose power and a significant reduction in mpg on LPG. Yes there is a very small amount of loss of power but given the size of the engine it really is not noticeable.

Geoff
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-09-2007, 16:11

My Motorhome: Hymer B644 G
Personal Aire
Re: MPG? (2005 Winnebago Aspect or similar - V10 6.8?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieG
Hi all.

Can anyone help out with their knowledge of the MPG I might expect if I was to buy a Winnebago Aspect from 2005?

I'm guessing 10 - 12 mpg. Am I in the right area, or could I be pleasantly surprised?

As an afterthought, anyone converted to dual-fuel, and if so, who did the conversion for you please? And , importantly, can you recommend them!?
Petrol RVs rarely get 10 mpg, think 7 and you won't be disappointed .. if you haven't already purchased I strongly advise to get a diesel which will do 12 -14 mpg.. doesn't sound a lot but it's 100% better than 7 and LPG conversions are best done by a previous owner, the payback time will be measured in years.

Another thing to consider is access to fuel pumps, petrol and LPG pumps are often difficult if not impossible to access with a large RV, diesel on the other hand is available from the large drive through HGV pumps.

Bear in mind availability of LPG, in Spain it's sparse to say the least and non existent in Morocco..

Jim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-09-2007, 20:56

I get about 12-14mpg from my Concord doing 55-60, with the car on the back (a 2 ton Jeep!!!) that drops to about 10ish and if you hammer it with the car on the back 8ish.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-09-2007, 22:01

Quote:
Petrol RVs rarely get 10 mpg, think 7 and you won't be disappointed
Jim, the above is based on your experience of RVs and judging by the size of your RV your figures are probably right. However, there are a number of smaller RVs in the UK that do get above 10 mpg.

Geoff
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-09-2007, 23:55 Thread Starter

I've just had an e=mail from ELite Motorhomes who state I should get 20mpg on a run on the motorway!

I think I'll avoid them as their figure seems to be a little "optomistic" based on hat you guys have said.

Thanks All
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 08:32

My Motorhome: Hymer B644 G
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOFFs125
Jim, the above is based on your experience of RVs and judging by the size of your RV your figures are probably right. However, there are a number of smaller RVs in the UK that do get above 10 mpg.

Geoff
Hi Geoff

Yes indeed, I stand corrected, I was thinking full sized A class petrol RVs, the Aspect is a small ( by US standards) C class RV and will do much better than 10 mpg.
However the dealers figures are a bit optimistic .. I would think closer to 15 -17 mpg.. I would still advise getting a diesel .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 09:38

When I was looking at RV's I decided it was better to forget the MPG and look at the overhaul cost on a year, in my case about £550 more than I was already paying, which is so much better than quoting the MPG figures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page