MPG? (2005 Winnebago Aspect or similar - V10 6.8?) - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-09-2007, 17:45

We fulltime in a 30' Hurricane with the excellent 6.8 V10 Triton engine, loaded to the gills, and towing a Smart on an A-frame. After 10 months in Europe, our average is 9.8 mpg. I drive very gently, and rarely exceed 55 mph.

We would not consider converting to dual fuel, for two reasons.

Firstly, our annual mielage is around 6500, so the payback time would be excessive.

Secondly, the space issue. You need at least 300 litres of LPG storage to get any sort of range. And 300 litres of tank would take up too much valuable storage space from our existing lockers - one locker would have to go.

So we're content to go with what we have. At an annual mileage of 6.5k, and with petrol in Spain at about 1€ per litre, we've budgeted for fuel costs and the sums work out.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-09-2007, 18:49

MPG

Hi all
In a recent MMM road test (Apr 2007 edition) on a Coachman Concord 275DS, the report claimed that the new models had a 6.0 V8 diesel engine which returned a healthy 20.7 mpg on a week's test covering 670 miles including a tour of Peak District.
I thought that this was very good fuel consumption HOWEVER I have been unable to find any mention of this engine in Coachmen brochures.

If this data is correct then I imagine that any of the B class RVs similar to this ie.Winnie Aspect ,Forest River Lexington could achieve similar if this engine was available.

Anybody have any info on this engine ?

Garry
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-09-2007, 21:57

I have a FR Lexington 6.0L Diesel and the fuel figures are not too bad, about 14 - 20 mpg depending on the load/terrain. This enging is acually a severely electronically detuned version (thanks FMC) and I also have a F350 pickup in the USA with a 8 ton Mobile Suites 36 foot fifth wheel attached to it. The fifth wheel rig manages 9 - 11 MPG dayin and dayout. The E series C class engine is only detuned because of the problems with the heat dissapation from the turbo, the turbo is acually fitted under the dashboard!!!. If you are using a 6.0 L Ford powerstroke Turbo E350 or E450 C class, and use it with a bit of common sense, you can re chip the engine from the naff 200HP, to the output of a bog standard F350 pickup truck (330 BHP) and still get excellent fuel figures but the vehicle becomes a diffent animal altogether. It becomes responsive and more efficiant but best not to thrash it when your in spain and the outside temp is 35c +.
PS Making Bio diesel at the moment so all my MPG my problems will soon disappear.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasalvas
PS Making Bio diesel at the moment so all my MPG my problems will soon disappear.
...until your injectors clog up!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 28-06-2015, 04:32

My Motorhome: I drive...
We have a 2009 Winnebago Aspect 28B, Ford 6.8L V10. Towing a Nissan X-terra flat (13,200 miles) we've averaged 7.84 mpg. Without the towed vehicle (1300 miles) it's been 8.90 mpg. Both totals for mixed secondary roads and interstates and for about an equal mix of flat and mountainous terrain.

Last edited by DIY-Guy; 28-06-2015 at 04:34.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page