Smell while driving from black and grey tanks - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By erneboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 21:33 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Smell while driving from black and grey tanks

Hi, can anyone help with what is causing a bad smell coming into the RV while driving from the onboard tanks. I have tried flushing the tanks out plus adding tank fresh but nothing seems to work, any ideas?? Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Southwind For This Useful Post:
JanHank (01-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 21:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Smell while driving from black and grey tanks

Hi, can anyone help with what is causing a bad smell coming into the RV while driving from the onboard tanks. I have tried flushing the tanks out plus adding tank fresh but nothing seems to work, any ideas?? Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 21:49

My Motorhome: Laika H680 Ecovip
Mike, try placing the plugs in the sinks and shower before you empty out your waste and when on the move. Can't help with the balck waste.

Don't Treat the Joke as a Job now available on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 22:26

Hi Mike,

You obviously have a problem. Is the vehicle pre owned or have you had it from new? If it is an older vehicle the you have to persevere with flushing the tank more often, half fill it with a tank detergent and drive around for an hour or so and then flush out. You may have to repeat this procedure until the smell disappears.

The cause of a bad smell is the continued flushing of food waste down the kitchen drain.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 22:26

My Motorhome: Rapido 9095DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatricbackpacker View Post
Mike, try placing the plugs in the sinks and shower before you empty out your waste and when on the move. Can't help with the balck waste.
Ha, we discovered this phenomenon this weekend after dumping our grey water tank, 2 mins down the road and the van stank like a sewar the dumping of the water had suctioned the water traps empty so a quick trip round the van to run some water back in sorted it (I'm guessing motorhomes don't have Durgo valves fitted for some reason)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 22:26

Second that put the plugs into the plug holes when driving

You will notice these smells more in the summer when its hot , not so obvious during the cooler months

Had a camper once with a large toilet holding tank and in summer when weather hot and we were driving and i had drivers window open we could smell the toilet tank in the cab But his only happened if the drivers window was open even when driving at 70mph

My therory was the external vent for the toilet tank had some part to play and by opening the window while driving the semll was circulating in the van
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 22:45

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Have a look at your waste trap under the sinks, you may have little vents going up from them (purpose unknown), we have one under the wash basin in the bathroom which caused a stink while driving. I blocked it and solved the problem.

RVs are different from motorhomes in many respects. You may do better for answers on an RV site, though there are a few of us here.
jo662 and jo662 like this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 23:27

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Re the toilet smell, is it possible the seals are in need of lubrication (or even replacement)?

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page