Cost to convert to LPG - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 17:29

I priced it up a couple of years ago, £3,000 for a V8 (2 units). I would have to do 25,000 miles on LPG ALONE, to break even. Mileage only 80% of petrol.
LPG very scarce in Spain & Portugal. To get a large tank (500/600 miles range), takes up a lot of storage space unless you can get it underneath the vehicle. Not sure they are a good thing either as engine designed for regular petrol.
As only do 2,500 miles a year didn't bother.
If you buy an RV with one installed it may be a different matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 17:53

Hi Keith

Our RV is a B+, much the same as a C class but without the beds above the cab. It also has the Ford V10, 6.8. The cost of an LPG conversion was £4,200 four years ago, from a good reputable supplier.

We stayed on petrol due to the mileage needed to get a return on the investement. As someone has already said, the person who purchases from you has that benefit.

You cannot travel on the Eurotunnel

The space needed for sensible sized LPG tanks.

V10's don't do well on LPG, see some of the US forums.

We just factor the cost of the petrol into our travel budget and weep

We have no issues with the handling and with the slide outs you're no wider than a Euro van on the road, but have all the space when you stop.

Mick

pm me if you'd like to chat.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 18:56

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
LPG is 70p a litre, if you do a reasonable mileage annually, you'll recover the costs eventually, while enjoying the benefits of longer periods between oil changes, less exhaust internal corrosion and extended engine life.

These are factors that tend to be ignored when looking at LPG conversions, you must take a long-term view, not look at how quickly your money comes bacxk to you.

You can also run dual-fuel as we do.

Losing the tunnel is not really such a big deal compared with the other benefits.

Peter

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 02:15

It's all down to the mileage you'll be doing as has been said before. I found this handy tool online to help you work it out easily.

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/about-auto...gs-calculator/

Simply enter you annual mileage and your expected MPG and it'll tell you how much you'll save.

For mine for example (a thumping great 7.5ltr V, i'll save around £1200 per year doing around 5000 miles. So that would take me 3 years ish to get into profit. Fortunately, mine already had it fitted so I'm happy I've got it but one of the biggest factors will be re sale, it'll be a lot easier to sell on with LPG fitted.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 08:31

Hi,
Just two weeks ago 8th December I got a quote for a LPG system for a 6.2L V8 and was quoted £2,200.00 a multi-point system with under slung tank. This was from an agent that does the main dealers in Stoke on Trent and not some lad in a lock up, i.e. a reputable installer.

I agree with the payback comments but round here LPG is 60p a litre!

With regard to range if you run out of gas just run on petrol until you can refill the tank. There is plenty of info on the web allowing you to plan your journey ahead.

Having said all that, we are not converting.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 12:07

I should add that if you are reasonable at DIY, it IS possible to fit yourself to older models, especially if you're going to fit a single point system. I have done DIY installs on a couple of Range Rovers and it really was a doddle. Once done, take to an LPG installer who can give you a certificate of safety for the record and your own piece of mind.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 12:48

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
I thought you were buying a caravan.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:26

I'm also reading up on LPG conversion as I'm thinking of buying a converted car, but so far I haven't found anything that covers all the pros & cons, so if anyone has a good link then I would appreciate it.

All references I have spotted talk about converting petrol engines only. Am I right in thinking that diesel engines cannot run on LPG?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:41

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
There are various additive systems for diesels, but it's early years in terms of what can be done and I wouldn't jump into that unless I had some significant benefits waved under my nose.

The secret to a decent diesel installation is to get the right sized engine in the first place, not the cheapest which ends up struglling with the weight of a motorhome.

Pros: Cheaper fuel, longer periods between oil changes and much cleaner engine internally.

Cons: Having to find LPG when you need it, range limited by tank size.

We run a 4.0litre V8 Discovery on LPG, we have 48 litres available which lasts us a couple of weeks running round, but with the big trailer on we are down to 100 miles or so per fill.

We also retained the original fuel tank so we have a full petrol tank available as well as the LPG. Running out of LPG and not having enough petrol to get to a garage is a bit of a nightmare!

In Europe, LPG is far more available than in the UK, with the possible exception of Spain and some of the Eastern European countries.

We are used to it now and accept the shorter times between fills, and know where and when to fill up on most of our regular runs.

Irrespective of the cost, it is worth doing for the longer engine life alone, which people don't factor in. Our engine oil lasts longer on LPG and the engine interior is extra clean as we run on diesel oil.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page