Have you ever had a puncture - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

View Poll Results: Have you ever had a puncture?
Yes 34 56.67%
No 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-08-2011, 09:05

Just had the MOT done on the van, they picked up a large screw sticking out of the OSR tire but holding full pressure. Took it to a local tire place to get it removed and plugged. They guy squirted some soapy water on it and pulled the screw out using pliers, it was not in the tire but jammed in the tread.

I guess we can say we haven't had a puncture.

We do carry a full spare though and the correct bolt to fit it as it is a steel rim and the rest are alloys.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-08-2011, 09:22

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
We had a slow puncture, nail into tyre, in France this year in a hired MH.

The guy who noticed the tyre was going down helped me change the wheel and put on the spare.

And MH tyres seem to weigh about twice as much as my own car tyres.

The tools provided by the Hire company were adequate except that I needed an adjustable spanner - luckily my helper had one and the wheel was soon changed.

We found a Peugeot dealer about 5 miles down the road, Rhuys Auto Service of St Gildas d'Arzon, who repaired the tyre in less than 5 minutes and charged €19.

Donkey's years ago, in the 70's, I had two tyres puncture on my Renault 12 within 20 miles on a journey to Cornwall.

The new tyres cost me a fortune to replace as I had to pay for them at the roadside when the breakdown truck arrived with two new ones.

Since then I've always carried a spare wheel and would advise everyone else to do the same.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-08-2011, 15:02

A few years ago on the way back home from a long week-end in Norfolk the front offside tyre blew. Luckily there was a field next to the road that had "hard standing". Had the old wheel off and the spare on in 10-15 minutes. I do now carry a can of pressurised puncture repair but still prefer to change the wheel if possible, on the spot.

Nick.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-08-2011, 22:58

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
I've had numerous punctures over the years. One's that stick out include a rear blowout on the M5 in my MGB, one in a snowstorm in Cornwall in a Cavalier (company car), one in Hereford city centre in the same car & many in my MG Midget, caused by Pirelli (UK factory) not following manufacturing instructions from Italy correctly. Due to abysmal customer service from Pirelli following that episode I have never bought another Pirelli tyre.
Most unusual puncturing object was a spark plug (yes, really) in a rear tyre of my Pontiac Bonneville when I lived in New York.
All of the above were incurred during normal road use. These & many more were changed by myself so I am not best pleased that my wife's new car comes without a spare. Even worse, the "fix-it kit" was missing too! Quite funny though watching the salesman & then the technician searching everywhere to show it to me.
I used to do rallying (many moons ago) so became quite expert at high speed wheel changing. We once punctured both nearside wheels almost simultaneously on a protruding rock & had to change both. We carried two spares & only lost 7 minutes on that section but I think it would take a little longer to change one on the MH, if God forbid we are unlucky enough to suffer.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-08-2011, 23:03 Thread Starter

Spare wheel found

Big thanks to Airstream. Am picking up spare from him

Phil
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 18:36

I have had caravans and motorhomes since 1966 and I have had two p[unctures; both in northern France and both with a caravan tyre.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 19:54

NO SPARE WHEEL

My wifes Audi had no spare wheel and we have had two punctures.Both times something had gone right through the tyre and the puncture seal was no use whatsoever.The first puncture was when my daughter was taking my elderly parents home on Christmas day evening.She rang to ask where the spare wheel was!!Had to leave it on the side of road for 4 days as we could'nt find anyone open who had the correct size tyre.Borrowed a wheel to get the car home.Now purchased a spare!!Would'nt have a motorhome without a spare.Has anyone had success with these puncture seals?when they have had a flat tyre
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 20:02

Why oh why would someone risk having to leave 30/40/50,000 pounds worth of Motorhome by the side of the road because you have a blowout on a bank holiday weekend and your breakdown company can't get you a tyre......buying or driving a Motorhome without a spare is to my way of thinking madness.....Dave
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-03-2013, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywine
On the M5 coming back from Van Bitz, totally shredded tyre and took out waste pipe, valve and tap. RAC fitted spare after call out.

Now have airseal in tyres.

Would check if you are covered with breakdown call out if you have the wrong size spare!

Regards

Airseal wouldn't help with a shredded tyre!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-03-2013, 21:38

does this poll apply to any Tyre including bicycle or camping van! This could have a major impact on the results!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page