Wild Camping: how do you do it? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

View Poll Results: Wild Camping: how do you do it?
Camp early, stay around van 16 14.95%
Camp early, leave van, come back later 23 21.50%
Activities first, then find somewhere to camp 68 63.55%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 25-03-2013, 23:29

Generally too feek & weeble to wild camp but...
In the UK, there are spots which look OK and you can see whose permission to ask. When a landowner says yes you feel comfortable.
Also in UK, there are a lot of abandoned roads where they have built a new road to get rid of a bend. These are often ideal for an overnight stay.
In Spain, we tend to look for other vans. Although the police have been told to like motorhomes, local views can differ!
In Portugal there are so many places because the Portugese love their motorhomes and hate paying to park them for the night. Here we try to get somewhere by 3pm or all the spaces may be taken! I am told the Portugese have decided to make all their dams into aires. They have of lot of them, too.
In Italy we just ask in the villages and they will almost come with you to help you settle in!
Outside the UK, I always feel that we should make contact with someone local and try and spend a bit if only for a loaf of bread. Somehow that feels right and we feel safer too.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:20

I don't know if it the economy or what but Italians seem to be getting more and more into the whole camper van thing. We just did a short trip from Belluno, to Soave, Verona and Trento and I could not believe how many campers we encountered. The good news is that it seems the locals are not fussing about parking overnight in parking lots. And I suppose the economy plus the convenience of being closer to where they want to be is a factor.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:31

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,133 Times in 981 Posts
Personal Aire
The wild camping rules in Italy are not they straight forward but thankfully they seem pretty relaxed about it and there are superb sostas everywhere. My experience of Italian motorhomers is they seem much younger than other countries but that could be down to the fact that I am usually there peak season

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page