Long Awaited POLL - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

View Poll Results: IN or OUT
IN 34 38.20%
OUT 55 61.80%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 12:53
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
We are by nature a conservative (Note: small c) nation which will also impact the more radical step of leaving.

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 13:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I always considered that the main reason for joining was to allow more freedom of movement of people and goods for commerce, which has been is brilliant.

However there is that underlying current that wants to make it into a Federation and all be the same.But really, none of the main parties really want this.
The same laws to apply in the UK as in France.NON!!

The stupid rules that come out of Brussels regarding the size and shape of fruit and vegetables and other things.They might suit the Mainland Europeans, but don't kid yourself,we are not considered as anything but those English.

I did not object too strongly over metrification, only the rip off shops, but am sorry I cannot now offer you a penny for your thoughts.

I have enjoyed the ease of traveling abroad in the motorhome, but the reception we get at many places does tell me that we are still those foreigners from UK.
Before you ask, no my French is awful, as is my Spanish and german, but I smile a lot and speak softly, using my skills of playing charades and being a Cabby.We have had a lot of fun with many nationalities, but a beer or wine goes a long way to help solve many problems. Have had to make TEA for some as well.

May I say Bravo to all those who have settled mainly in France, for managing to cope with the red tape brigade.I wonder how many forests have been used by them.
I nearly became one of you back in 1975.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #43 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 13:41

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
I always considered that the main reason for joining was to allow more freedom of movement of people and goods for commerce, which has been is brilliant.

However there is that underlying current that wants to make it into a Federation and all be the same.But really, none of the main parties really want this.
The same laws to apply in the UK as in France.NON!!

The stupid rules that come out of Brussels regarding the size and shape of fruit and vegetables and other things.They might suit the Mainland Europeans, but don't kid yourself,we are not considered as anything but those English.

I did not object too strongly over metrification, only the rip off shops, but am sorry I cannot now offer you a penny for your thoughts.

I have enjoyed the ease of traveling abroad in the motorhome, but the reception we get at many places does tell me that we are still those foreigners from UK.
Before you ask, no my French is awful, as is my Spanish and german, but I smile a lot and speak softly, using my skills of playing charades and being a Cabby.We have had a lot of fun with many nationalities, but a beer or wine goes a long way to help solve many problems. Have had to make TEA for some as well.

May I say Bravo to all those who have settled mainly in France, for managing to cope with the red tape brigade.I wonder how many forests have been used by them.
I nearly became one of you back in 1975.

cabby
I think the rules about funny shaped vegetables being made by the EU are a myth cabby. Its imposed by the UK supermarkets. Have you noticed that all our fruit and veg in supermarkets always looks perfect but tastes rubbish? Its all about presentation here. Go buy some fresh veg off a market in Greece or France even and it looks dodgy but tastes like it used to here decades ago.

Do you not also think that mainland Europeans would form a better opinion of us if we stopped whinging about Europe, changing the rules to suit ourselves and stopped giving off the impression that we are somehow better than them?

I suspect in or out more damage will have been done to our reputation within Europe by all this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #44 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 13:46

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Go buy some fresh veg off a market in England or Scotland even and it looks dodgy but tastes like it used to here decades ago.
post #45 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 15:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Some supermarkets have seen the light under the bushel and now sell what they term as Wonky Veg.
We also have a green grocer who buys from local farms.We know how fresh the eggs are, as he always moans that he did not get enough for his customers, after 3 days.

cabby.

I think that my main objection is the MEP's, why do we need so many of them and their over staffed departments.Why does it seem they are unaccountable.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #46 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 16:09

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I was chatting to a German last night. He told me that as far as he could see some English people wanted to leave the EU so that they could negotiate from outside to have, in almost every respect, the same relationship with the EU they'd previously had as members.
post #47 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 16:59
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I have to say that without exception we have been treated nicely at all the sites we have stayed at abroad and by all the people we have met. I try and speak the local languages as much as possible: my French is passable but the other languages start well and then turn into the equivalent of 'Allo 'Allo I guess.

Having a whacking great dragon and the word 'Cymru' on the back of the MH breaks the ice...as do the Welsh number plates. Columbia was the best/worst guess we had at one place

I have my Polish and Czech phrasebooks for the summer so that'll be fun

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #48 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 17:17

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I was chatting to a German last night. He told me that as far as he could see some English people wanted to leave the EU so that they could negotiate from outside to have, in almost every respect, the same relationship with the EU they'd previously had as members.
This is what we will have to do but it will come at a cost and we will have no say in what terms are beset upon us.

The clear and underlying reason most want out is down to immigration and the hope that we will somehow be able to stop johnny foreigner coming here and maybe kick a few out. Its a big price to pay for something that we may not be able to enforce anyway and a problem that actually could get worse if we leave.

No disrespect intended to the outers but it is showing as the clear main reason for an Out vote.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #49 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 17:37

Don't know about that Barry, we buy a lot more from them, than they buy from us, so they need us more than we need them!
We certainly don't need to go with the begging bowl, we could be a proud nation again, and have self respect and belief that we can do it.
We need a we can attitude, rather than we can't!
I think, if we do leave, a few more won't be far behind, as it is not working.
It could work, but would probably need federalism, same taxes, in other words, become one Country, but that would be many years away as each Country at the moment wants to protect it's own.
post #50 of 143 (permalink) Old 21-03-2016, 18:10

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I am not convinced we will have more control over Immigration if we leave as we may well be forced to join Schengen .
...and your food and goods will cost more.
Barry, where do you get all these scare stories from? We know you're a comedian at heart but these are becoming a bit tiresome now.
How, exactly, will they force us to join Shengen? They couldn't force us to join when we were in so how do you imagine they'll force us to join after we've left? Perhaps you think they'll send in the EU army to force us to join? (Oh, sorry, they don't have one).
In any case, Shengen is already broken, probably fatally, by the current migrant crisis. The Turkey deal looks like another EU success to you I suppose, with your Europhile specs on?
As for our food becoming dearer, don't you know that the EU is a dear food club? One of it's primary objectives when it was set up was to support the inefficient French farmers by keeping food prices high. I have seen an estimate that this EU policy costs every UK family £400 per year on average.
As you said earlier on, no-one knows what will happen if we leave, but continually spreading scare stories may well encourage the "Don't Knows" to vote "Out".
cabby, cabby, GEMMY and 7 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to emmbeedee For This Useful Post:
mgdavid (21-03-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page