Is it time for metered pitch electricity ? - Page 10 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

View Poll Results: Is it time for metered electricity?
Yes 110 56.12%
No 63 32.14%
Don't care 23 11.73%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:47

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
The argument goes on....

Brock's statement probably sums it up:

"There is never a fair way to provide a service. Some customers will win, some lose. We've created this monster by buying caravans and motorhomes that rely on mains electricity rather than demanding equipment that increases our self sufficiency. "It's our own fault" if you are in the meter camp and "We've created a benefit for ourselves" if you are in the keep meters camp."

Self-sufficiency is the way to go, as nothing is going to get cheaper.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 14:21

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I think that as Caravans are used on campsites more than Motorhomes the answer is obviously that inclusive pricing will remain.
In the summertime when I can use my solar panel to charge the batteries I do not need EHU. But I have to point out that the only mains equipment that we have is the EHU charger and an oil filled radiator, all else is either gas or 12v. So we enjoy the Aires in France or the municipal with a choice on electric.
The answer really to this question is to push for a set up of Aires in the UK.

cabby
post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 15:10

I voted for not metering, but having just read a thread in a campsite forum I'm beginning to wonder.

On there someone was asking how to heat a 3 pod 9 man tent overnight in October using electric. Some one suggested 3 oil filled radiators left on all night!

Other 'tenters' were listing what they took with them - electric hobs, microwaves, mini cookers, fridges, toasters, kettles, bbqs, griddles, blankets, tvs as well as numerous heaters - I'm surprised some of them didn't blow the site fuses, never mind the hook up ones.

We only use electric for a small oil filled radiator that is on low for a couple of hours at the most and the fridge. The rest of our stuff is gas or diesel powered.

I'm wondering now if we are very much subsidising others who are, to me, taking the mickey. Don't get me wrong - I still love camping under canvas - it's something different that you can't beat in certain situations, and I have been camping in snow at Easter with the right equipment - but I've never come across a tent that is draughtproof enough to be economically heated by an electric heater (or three).

If what I'm reading is true then I have sympathy with campsite owners who feel the need to charge top whack for electric hookups and think I might be turning to the 'metering is good' camp.

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby
The answer really to this question is to push for a set up of Aires in the UK. cabby
It would be great I genuinely mean that as I love my motorhome and using it in France is soooo much easier

However, France does have a lot more land than we do and consequently I would suspect that land is cheaper

Eddie

If you are a Van Bitz customer and have comments on your service please Leave Feedback for Van Bitz
Reviews are important to us.
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 15:37

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
It is extremely rare that I use a campsite, apart from Temporary Holiday Sites, so I have no opinion either way.

BUT

If pressure was put on owners to reduce the cost of electricity, they would just find another 'charge' in its place. BTW, I am aiming that jibe mainly at the CC and C&CC.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page