Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Turned away at dkv station in italy for gas

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  icer 
#1 ·
guy at petrol in Italy just north of Venice refused fill up of gaslow system with external filling point. Said that unless it was for an engine, ie not cooking, it was against his license.

Ian

#2 ·
I was in Curioz Loisirs (big moho and caravan shop/sales/workshop - part of the 'Master' group) near Annecy and I saw they were selling Gaslow installations. I asked the bloke if there were problems getting refills in France and he didnt know anything about that nonsense. Never seen them in France before.

#4 ·
Now quite common to find Gaslow in France, generally accepted, Total staions usually have GPL, Spain OK, but Itlay has often had problems, not worth asking, we simply move on as one cylinder will last at least a week in summer as not using it much except for fridge. I believe that the sale of it is meant for automotive use ONLY.......

#8 ·
Never been refused before ever, this was not on motorway just ordinary sp road.
Not too bothered as we have a full 11kg bottle left, but was just wondering whether something was going on in Italy and others had issues recently

#10 ·
Italy is very hot on this and we have been refused a few times even though we also have an external filler..............luckily there is always somewhere down the road with a different view.

Apparently they had an horrific explosion/fire some years back when a motorhomer/idiot was filling a homemade conversion gas filling system.

So the bigger companies have decided they can do without the bother.

#11 ·
I picked up gas today at a Simply station (attached to a supermarket).

It was 24/7 and I'd used my card to authorise payment but didn't realise I'd to press a button to say which set of pumps I was on. The chap came over n helped me out.

But then he started getting quite antsy n saying No cooking. He indicated it was illegal, saying 'Police say No'.

Of course by that time I already had my gas so I'm OK for a while. But the from what I'm making of this thread it's not illegal, it's just that certain providers have decided they're not going to any more.

Is there a particular provider that *is* still allowing it?

My filler is in the skirt.

#12 ·
I think it a matter of some stations refused, we've been refused once

Like you our filler is in the skirt, but we at the time kept the adaptors in the locker and had opened it to get one out

I think it's because there was a fire once, but not on a reputable gaslow system, some sort of adaption to fill direct into the bottle, dodgy at best

I don't think you'll have much trouble

Sandra

#14 ·
Have left Italy now and filled bottle in Austria.
Tried a few garages and in one,an english speaking gent told us that AGIP have told their stations to refuse non engine gas refils accross Italy.
Bit of a bugger really, have always had a separate German 11kg bottle and would have got the 2nd Gaslow bottle before we left this time, but never got round to it. Is Italy now no go for refills? We also have a skirt refill.
Never had this problem before anywhere, thankfully weather was clement but if not we could have ripped through the bottle and then what? We were going to to further south in Italy but changed our plans.
We need to hear from those who have managed to fill up,in Italy recently. What do gaslow say.
Ian

#15 ·
Don't worry too much, as mentioned before try and stick to the smaller outlets off the autostrada and you should be ok.

I filled at a little ELP garage 1 SEP between Parma and St Illario d,enza on way down to Ancona no problems. N44.77418 E10.41111 there's another one just outside the village of Cade on same road which I,ve used before but haven,t got the coords to hand.

Pete

#16 ·
Never had a problem as we have an underslung tank that takes about 50 ltrs, so they assume we are using it for the engine..

ray.

#19 ·
How can they know when you start filling how much you will fill? And when pump stops at 12lt the Gaslow is full and it is too late to stop you.

I should like to hear from those who have been refused how long it took from parking brake on to somebody stopping the pump.

Or is the system suchthat you have to request them to start the pump?

Geoff

#17 ·
Ray

I think this is quite recent. they obviously cannot tell what your use is if you have external filler. but apart from the rv conversion to gas how many motorhomes run on gpl.

Pete
I think this has to be a more recent issue. when we tried to fill we were not on an autostrada and second station confirmed that they would not fill a vehicle that used it for cooking purposes. lines have been drawn in the sands me thinks.

Ian

#18 ·
I thought in Italy it was due to varying tax rates on LPG, and Italy has the weird (to me) system where tax on LPG for road use is less than the tax rate for LPG used for heating etc. Therefore it is illegal for garages to supply LPG for anything other than road fuel. I must emphasize this is only a vague recollection

Malcolm

#23 ·
LPG pumps in Italy are generally served by an attendant, as are half of the fuel pumps (watch out cos they cost more).

I had one experience of having the lpg filled by an attendant whilst giving me a long lecture about it being illegal, in Italian, of which I don't speak a word, but I got his drift!

#24 ·
Just back home but wanted to bump this issue.
I was turned away 3 times and did not try again as I has a full 11 kg bottle and was going to Germany so I filled up there.
As I said these were major service stations who said there was an embargo on motorhomes.
Was I just unlucky wrong place wrong time

Ian

#25 ·
The message is just to be wary that you might be turned away in Italy,especially at the large motorway stations.So don't leave it until the last minute..............you may get an attendant who doesn't know or doesn't care or you might get turned away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.