Please donīt misunderstand me. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 14:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Please donīt misunderstand me.

I am very grateful to be spending the winter here, but have you ever had to use a foreign kitchen?

I like to help as much as possible and cook the evening meal, sometimes with a surprise, but trying to find something to cook in is a challenge.
I wanted to make an apple pie, all the dishes are too high. A quiche, the dish I used was too thick for pastry so the pastry turned out a bit hard. I thought one day I could make Yorkshires, I like the little individual ones, but no tin here. I canīt make a good batch of bread like at home, there is only one loaf tin. I've brought the sharp knives from the Navajo because I couldn't find one sharp enough ( my knives have always been envied by visitors to the house, I had a good sharper, now I must learn how to do it when these get blunt)
`Sighī, lifeīs not easy is it.
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 14:55

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
You can buy useful knife sharpeners on Amazon and that where our tray for making Yorkshire puds came from too. Neither is expensive. I like to shop on Amazon because they have virtually everything and it'll come to the door. I have traipsing round shops. Finding anything even slightly unusual can take ages.
JanHank likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 15:08 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Hans would have only used the stones I donīt know what its called, I have brought that from the van as well.
Iīll do the same as you Alan and get what I need from Amazon, what is the sharpener your talking about, there are so many on there..
I was going to get a jar of mincemeat, but Iīm not sure if that might be a wasted effort, itīs not known in Germany.
Christmas pudding wasnīt appreciated by one family we introduced it to.
He really was more English than German you know

I'm Jan

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 15:30

Yes we find that lots of the foods we really like from home aren't appreciated here. So much so that we don't much bother sharing any more.

This is much the same as the knife sharpener I use Jan. Only for my knives though. Mrs Eb hates sharp knives and keeps a special blunt one for her own use. It may as well be nade of chocolate for all the use it is, but there we are. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Kni...5988121&sr=8-7
JanHank likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 16:39

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I guess Hans probably used an oil stone Jan. Black oblong about 20 x 5 x 2 cm. Dribble a small amount of oil on it and slide the blade back and forth. Eends up razor sharp.
Yes I dislike being in other peoples houses for more than a day or two. Any more and I feel I am just waiting to go home.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ģ750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 16:45

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
I never feel comfortable in other peoples houses, even my son's, I always feel as if I am intruding and don't feel at home.
Maybe I am just a grumpy old man but if that was the case I would have always been grumpy.
raynipper likes this.

Barry
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 16:50

As Ray says Jan. An oil stone. Usually come in a little wooden case. Used for wood chisels, scissors etc. too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oilstone-Co...5992908&sr=8-9

Likewise, can't settle in other people's houses. Feel like an intruder.
raynipper likes this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 17:42 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
These stones have 3 sides and Hans would use a drop of washing liquid on it when the knife was really blunt.

Iīm beginning to close my eyes to the differences in our homes, the furniture is modern the dead opposite to my taste, we had to buy carpet runners for the floor for Motley because the floor is typical continental (I assume), not tiles thank goodness but the laminate, we/I have carpet everywhere, even in the bathroom and kitchen. I have space inside and out, here it is almost surrounded by houses, the house is plenty big enough for 3 and we are never in each others way. There are more English speaking people here although I do try to speak to as many people in German when I am out and have to with Jürgen, but Heike and I speak English most of the time. I keep saying I must dedicate an hour a day to learning more on the internet, but my brain is just not able to concentrate on it just yet, itīs too busy remembering or trying to figure out what next, thank goodness I have settled my mind to just getting on with the Navajo business and I have to swallow the expense.
I may be forced to come home because here I donīt qualify for pension credits luckily I donīt smoke or have any expensive hobbies other than the Motorhome.
What a difference being without just one person can make to a life.
Sorry the photo is on its side again, why do mobile phones do that on this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0507.jpg (179.0 KB, 14 views)
Matchlock likes this.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 18:22

I don't understand the pension credits problem. Care to explain? Don't if you'd rather not of course. Can't you go to the UK, sort your pension out and them go where you want to?

Would you want to live in the UK?

Over the last ten or twelve years we've been in the UK for maybe six months and spent over six of those years in Spain. We now consider Spain home, and all being well any visits to the UK will be short.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 19:32 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
People who live in the UK get pension credit when the pension is less that Ģ167 or somewhere in that region. My pension is in that catagory, but unfortunately by living abroad they don't think it costs as much as living in the UK I assume because I am not entitled to it the pension office told me and I also get nothing toward funeral expences or any other helping hand.

As for going back to the UK, I have always said I wouldn't, but talking that way is one thing, now it has come to this crunch I am not as certain as when there were two of us. Life has really turned upside down and it doesn't seem to get easier to accept.

I'm Jan

Last edited by JanHank; 10-12-2019 at 19:36.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page