Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Food And Drink (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/27-food-drink/)
-   -   Outdoor cooking (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/27-food-drink/172113-outdoor-cooking.html)

Tango14 24-01-2016 09:08

Outdoor cooking

Morning all

I am looking to buy a gas BBQ type thingy

I used to have a beauclare that was quite heavy and a pain to clean, but I am considering the Cadac carry chef 2 and wondered if anyone could offer me any thoughts on them or anything else they use.

Many thanks

GMJ 24-01-2016 10:23

One of, if not the, best bits of kit I bought when we started MHing :grin2:

Great piece of kit: we have the one with the grill pan (standard) and pot stand only. We didn't bother with pizza pan or paella dish although I would be interested to hear of any experiences with the pizza pan.

Easy to use; easy to clean. Easy to control cooking heat too....and bundles up into an usable size as well for easy stowage. I have cooked not just standard BBQ stuff but a full English brekkie and also 1 pan meals (Spag Bol, Chilli, Curry etc) on it.

We are fortunate to have a gas plug in point in the side of our MH which also makes it very usable (just add adaptor and 2m of orange hose).

In the spring I think I'll get another one for the home garden tbh as my current outdoor one (non Cadac) is on its last legs.

Shop around as there are deals around :smile2:

Graham :smile2:

mistycat 24-01-2016 12:20

1 Attachment(s)
We have the Cadac safari,
small enough for the two of use, the only extra we got was the roasting tin,
packs away in its bag,
we tend to make all in one meals in it, our favorite is cubed chicken, spuds, onions, potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, left to simmer then throw in a tin of peas just before serving,
one pan to wash,
we do this (bit of advice, TURN the chicken over) too
we too have a 2mtr hose and a outside gas socket, Bullfinch type,
Misty

113016 24-01-2016 12:25

Another vote for the Cadac Safari Chef
But it needs to be sheltered from the wind>:)

mistycat 24-01-2016 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grath (Post 1866097)
Another vote for the Cadac Safari Chef
But it needs to be sheltered from the wind>:)

Grath is right they tend to blow out in the wind, going to make some sort of surround for ours,
i heard that some drill a hole in the side so you can relight it without having to lift the pan off,
Misty

113016 24-01-2016 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistycat (Post 1866105)
Grath is right they tend to blow out in the wind, going to make some sort of surround for ours,
i heard that some drill a hole in the side so you can relight it without having to lift the pan off,
Misty

Thanks Misty:smile2: One of those jobs I always say I am going:smile2: to do, but don't, is make a wind shield.
We also carry a small two burner which has a fitted wind shield, and tend to use this when windy:frown2:

GMJ 24-01-2016 12:35

With the Carry Chef 2, the lid is used as a wind shield. It hooks onto the legs to act as the shield.

We looked at the smaller version as mentioned but thought it a little small for our purposes (the cooking area that is).

cabby 24-01-2016 12:36

I am still a coals BBQ man, but must say the Cadac does work well and very popular so must be suitable. No one has mentioned the Cob from Lakeland, is this not included as a BBQ then.

cabby

113016 24-01-2016 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJ (Post 1866145)
With the Carry Chef 2, the lid is used as a wind shield. It hooks onto the legs to act as the shield.

We looked at the smaller version as mentioned but thought it a little small for our purposes (the cooking area that is).

You need to get on a diet Graham>:)

listerdiesel 24-01-2016 12:37

We have a Camping Gaz BBQ:

http://www.stationary-engine.net/For...nen2015002.jpg

"Camping Gaz Fargo TwinPack BBQ Grill"

Fed by a Bullfinch BBQ point on the side, bottom left corner in the picture.

Four seasons old now, works well but there are some tiddly little R clips on the outer cover supports that get lost easily, otherwise it's fine.

(Philip & Rita cooking dinner at Nuenen last year)

Peter